HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Sep 14, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #7,786 of 20,386
umm trust me when i say this, the gs-x mk2 is absolutely NOT hard to resell. there have only been a couple up for sale and every time there is line of buyers instantly. they also resell for the same price new with no money lost. of course not all amps at the gs-x mk2's price range are like that.

also @highroller: the gs-x mk2 is about $3000 if you want the maxed out version, $2800 for cheaper version. i would not hook a bifrost up to it though. for that amount of money you are better off with a better dac + less expensive but still excellent amp

Resell for the same price new??? I can't help but laugh. Why would one wanna buy used and pay the same price as a new one. Sorry but that logic doesn't compute for me.

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #7,787 of 20,386
Resell for the same price new??? I can't help but laugh. Why would one wanna buy used and pay the same price as a new one.

The only possibility I can think of is if the supply of new units is very bottlenecked / backlogged, relative to demand.

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #7,789 of 20,386

Coz you don't want to wait 3 months to a year.

this. there are only about 30-35 gs-x mk2s out now in the wild, and it's so good that almost none of the current owners want to sell. the very few that did want to sell have buyers lined up to buy, which helps keep the resell price high as well.

@koiloco: not everything is buyable new if you just had money. gs-x mk2 is one of those things that even if you have the money, you cannot just buy a new one and have it shipped to you right away.

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #7,791 of 20,386
For that price, you have so many options. Don't just listen to ppl. Especially, ppl who really haven't heard the amp. I have. a problem for u. :)

If u referring to me..well ur right..but i quoted words of very respected people who actually OWN the gs-x..like dubstepgirl and i understand skylab also had the opportunity to test one among others....but i can be wrong on the latter..just check the gs-x thread.

.if i had heard the gsx i never would have said: i am curious how the gsx will stack against my new amp (being even more expensive then that amp).. And if u bothered to check the BC thread or the gs-x thread u maybe could have read everyone..and i mean everyone who has one is delirious about both brands/ and their higher end headphone amp models...
But what i understand is that the models which pop op on sale second hand (like the silver one dubstepgirl bought) are because these people want black versions but own the silver ones (right dubstepgirl?) or want mk2 and own mk1.
the new buyers are happpily to pay almost full price (as new) because u have a veeeeeeerrrrry looooongggg waiting time for new models....and as quality is excellent its a no brainer..just like BC stuff (also 6months waiting time)..u almost wont find any for sale second hand..its because those kind ofequipment is so good, its bought for life..and only sold when they upgrade to newer/better model of SAME brand most of the times if i understand it correctly..i feel gsx owners are very loyal also..
So i hope one day soon i can listen to one..

and koiloco..my dear friend..
U say there are lots of alternatives of headphone amps in that price range (about 3000usd) which can drive a he6..can u pls elaborate? As i am always interested about new things.. :wink:
Thanks pal.

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #7,792 of 20,386
  yes, and the other way is true as well, regular amps do not work with electrostatic headphones

Thank you. Are electrostatic headphones and amps the best of the best? And do they only use balanced cables? Sorry guys, I am new haha.

umm trust me when i say this, the gs-x mk2 is absolutely NOT hard to resell. there have only been a couple up for sale and every time there is line of buyers instantly. they also resell for the same price new with no money lost. of course not all amps at the gs-x mk2's price range are like that.

also @highroller: the gs-x mk2 is about $3000 if you want the maxed out version, $2800 for cheaper version. i would not hook a bifrost up to it though. for that amount of money you are better off with a better dac + less expensive but still excellent amp

I saw it on Headamp for $695? I guess I should just stick to my Lyr haha.

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #7,793 of 20,386
  Thank you. Are electrostatic headphones and amps the best of the best? And do they only use balanced cables? Sorry guys, I am new haha.

I saw it on Headamp for $695? I guess I should just stick to my Lyr haha.

there are cheaper electrostatic headphones (~$300 range), and they go up to pretty high. like non-electrostatic headphones there are very very good electrostatics that are some of the best headphones in the world. but at the same time there are also very very good non-electrostatic headphones. some ppl absolutely love electrostatics, while other prefer other kinds of headphones. electrostatics use a different type of cable entirely. balanced and single ended are both for normal, non-electrostatic headphones.

the $695 is a quarter deposit to place the order, you pay the other 3/4 when the amp ships. you can do the math for the full price lol.

the lyr is a very good amp, especially if you tube roll.

Sep 15, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #7,794 of 20,386

there are cheaper electrostatic headphones (~$300 range), and they go up to pretty high. like non-electrostatic headphones there are very very good electrostatics that are some of the best headphones in the world. but at the same time there are also very very good non-electrostatic headphones. some ppl absolutely love electrostatics, while other prefer other kinds of headphones. electrostatics use a different type of cable entirely. balanced and single ended are both for normal, non-electrostatic headphones.

the $695 is a quarter deposit to place the order, you pay the other 3/4 when the amp ships. you can do the math for the full price lol.

the lyr is a very good amp, especially if you tube roll.

What cables do they use? And do you guys think its worth upgrading the HE500 or just continue to tube roll? I love my HE500s but the lack of bass quantity is kind of a turn off especially listening to EDM and DNB. Can I pay that quarter deposit for all items? Or is it only the GSX? That's an awesome feature Headamp allows people to do... 

EDIT: What are the differences between the two types of GSX's they have at Headamp?

Sep 15, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #7,795 of 20,386
Double post. Spotty connection at the beach....

Sep 15, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #7,796 of 20,386
If u referring to me..well ur right..but i quoted words of very respected people who actually OWN the gs-x..like dubstepgirl and i understand skylab also had the opportunity to test one among others....but i can be wrong on the latter..just check the gs-x thread.

.if i had heard the gsx i never would have said: i am curious how the gsx will stack against my new amp (being even more expensive then that amp).. And if u bothered to check the BC thread or the gs-x thread u maybe could have read everyone..and i mean everyone who has one is delirious about both brands/ and their higher end headphone amp models...
But what i understand is that the models which pop op on sale second hand (like the silver one dubstepgirl bought) are because these people want black versions but own the silver ones (right dubstepgirl?) or want mk2 and own mk1.
the new buyers are happpily to pay almost full price (as new) because u have a veeeeeeerrrrry looooongggg waiting time for new models....and as quality is excellent its a no brainer..just like BC stuff (also 6months waiting time)..u almost wont find any for sale second hand..its because those kind ofequipment is so good, its bought for life..and only sold when they upgrade to newer/better model of SAME brand most of the times if i understand it correctly..i feel gsx owners are very loyal also..
So i hope one day soon i can listen to one..

and koiloco..my dear friend..
U say there are lots of alternatives of headphone amps in that price range (about 3000usd) which can drive a he6..can u pls elaborate? As i am always interested about new things.. :wink:
Thanks pal.

2 come to mind at this point. Both of which were on my list to consider before deciding on my taboo. If I ever get bored of he500 and wanna try he6. These 2 will be on my short list. DNA stratus and woo wa5le. As u said it is not always about power, right?
Also, if I spend that kind of money, I will wait n get a new one. Paying new price for a used one, no thx. And there is only 1 headamp I would like to own. It will happen when I am ready to move into stax territory. It still makes me blue remembering how awesome it sounded. I don't need to name it, right? :)
And no, I was not referring to only to you, it was for all who often recommend / comment on things they never even hear; purely from reviews, threads and Internet. But for you, having not listened to it yet, how can u even strongly believe that it would be better than your 337? So much for someone who keeps saying "I have sensitive ears and trust my hearing"

Sep 15, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #7,797 of 20,386
this. there are only about 30-35 gs-x mk2s out now in the wild, and it's so good that almost none of the current owners want to sell. the very few that did want to sell have buyers lined up to buy, which helps keep the resell price high as well.

@koiloco: not everything is buyable new if you just had money. gs-x mk2 is one of those things that even if you have the money, you cannot just buy a new one and have it shipped to you right away.

Lol, u think I don't know the wait of headamp? I met and talked to the man before and at a recent meet. Nice mellow guy.

Sep 15, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #7,798 of 20,386
The GS-X is not just a "good" amp. It's a reference amp, and that alone should be enough reason for it to resell easily, especially here on head-fi.

Good to hear that I can easily sell my taboo if needed. It's also a reference amp. Whose reference, I m not sure...

Sep 15, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #7,799 of 20,386
Lol, u think I don't know the wait of headamp? I met and talked to the man before and at a recent meet.

then i dont understand why it's so hard for you to believe that ppl would pay new price for used gs-x mk2? you may not think it's worth it but there are ppl who do. i believe the first gs-x mk2 to go on sale sold for pretty much price of the new amp (it was at the cheaper price back then as it was first batch)

Sep 15, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #7,800 of 20,386
  The GS-X is not just a "good" amp. It's a reference amp, and that alone should be enough reason for it to resell easily, especially here on head-fi.

+1

this is the best amp i've heard and amongst the best i've heard. it really doesn't have any flaws. its perfect and i would as far as to say its a game changer in the solid state world. its as good as people have said it is. and it drives everything perfectly. the HE-6 could use a little more headroom, but it gets as loud as anyone would ever want to listen, it definitely drives them perfectly. 

the HE-500 sound incredibly good on the GSX MK2, this is certainly the amp to get for planars. LCD-3 sounds amazing as well, the biggest difference in all my headphones was the bass. it seems a little lighter because its neutral and without colorations, but the detail transparency and texture, extension, depth, everything about the bass, is the best i've heard. the bass really comes out and you can hear all these small nuances in the bass u'd never hear.

i think this amp even sounds better or equal (more transparent but not as warm) to the $5500 Allnic HPA 5000, which has been the best i've heard the HE-500 on. and the wooly bass of the HE-500, not a problem anymore, its still kinda there, but the bass improved so much and the impact is definitely there. the amount of detail though and resolution of the HE-500 are insane though, you'll be surprised how much better they get. the amp has full control of the HE-500's drivers and brings the absolute best out of them.

also yes, i think as far as Solid state goes, this is THE amp to get. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back