HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Sep 11, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #7,726 of 20,374
Go for standard metal, maybe with venting holes.

Perspex/Acrylic looks very catchy at first sight, but gets old really fast (like a transparent acrylic PC case vs a classy Lian Li aluminum case if you catch my drift).

Venting holes are included in both versions of tops..and i know what u mean..i once had a full aluminium lian li case..timeless beauty! Thanks for sharing ur opinion..never thought about that!!

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #7,727 of 20,374
Also, I would look into the brightness of the LED. For example, at night with lights off when watching movies, the blue LED of the Emotiva is a bit annoying. So I always end up putting a dark cloth on it or something. Just thought of mentioning it.

BTW very elegant looking equipment.

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #7,728 of 20,374
Also, I would look into the brightness of the LED. For example, at night with lights off when watching movies, the blue LED of the Emotiva is a bit annoying. So I always end up putting a dark cloth on it or something. Just thought of mentioning it.

BTW very elegant looking equipment.

The led light in the case only works on 40% of his max output i understand..they thought about that already..as they know i listen in complete darkness..but thanks for the tip!

Yes i love their look also..simple, classy, efficient and built like a tank to survive until u die..i hate screamy over the top designs..like huge colorful lcd screens or to much lighting..or a front which is to crowded..nope..nothing for me..simple and efficient are my keywords. :wink:
U only need two things on front..headphone out (balanced) and the volume knob..nothing more or less...imho ofcourse.. Others like to play with multiple knobs :D

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #7,729 of 20,374
Take worst scenario and power efficiency at 8 (EDIT: 4) ohm rating then it would be closer to 7 Watts max (which I assume is 3.5W per channel). How is the noise level (hum at low volume) and heat? Is volume control good?

BTW where did you manange to find it at $200 delivered (I assume you bought it on eBay)? 
You're probably right with tge power calcs but it's oodles of power in any sense. The volume . Control is great since using the Audio Gd as a dac/preamp and the only hissing noise I get is if there is nothing playing, I've set the preamp levels really low and the Toppings volume quite high. Otherwise noise is not an issue

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #7,730 of 20,374
The Topping TP60 was from Ebay $211 aud delivered so under $200 USD. You need the link?

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #7,731 of 20,374
You're probably right with tge power calcs but it's oodles of power in any sense. The volume . Control is great since using the Audio Gd as a dac/preamp and the only hissing noise I get is if there is nothing playing, I've set the preamp levels really low and the Toppings volume quite high. Otherwise noise is not an issue

Not too intrusive (the hiss I mean)?

The Topping TP60 was from Ebay $211 aud delivered so under $200 USD. You need the link?

Nah found it...Cheers. I didn't have the right search settings.

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #7,732 of 20,374
  Go for standard metal, maybe with venting holes.

Perspex/Acrylic looks very catchy at first sight, but gets old really fast (like a transparent acrylic PC case vs a classy Lian Li aluminum case if you catch my drift).

I wonder if smoked acylic which gets discolored over time would look reasonably new as compared to clear acrylic that gets discolored....food for thought I suppose. 

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #7,733 of 20,374
The led light in the case only works on 40% of his max output i understand..they thought about that already..as they know i listen in complete darkness..but thanks for the tip!

Yes i love their look also..simple, classy, efficient and built like a tank to survive until u die..i hate screamy over the top designs..like huge colorful lcd screens or to much lighting..or a front which is to crowded..nope..nothing for me..simple and efficient are my keywords.
wink.gif

U only need two things on front..headphone out (balanced) and the volume knob..nothing more or less...imho ofcourse.. Others like to play with multiple knobs
biggrin.gif

Okay that's good. Yeah, the simple, minimalistic yet elegant approach is the best. That's one thing I love about my Marantz CD player. It should be pretty to look at whenever you do look at it, yet it shouldn't be an attention whore. Also, shiny glass tops look sexy but watch out for dust and scratch.

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #7,734 of 20,374
Amp is going to be totally opamp based..completely hardwired..no tubes..and also not really a SS amp..as i said before..it will be based on their NSL amp..to be said being outside the SS OR tube territory..
Standard material is black colored quality metal (no aluminium) and this is black smoked perspex.. This see-through look looks way cooler..but am afraid that it will be to much bling bling or affecting cooling efficiency..
Thats why i asked u guys.

See if he can fab a quick cover for your amp to make sure it works with the black housing...I would sooner try and match all sides of the housing, unless you can see some pretty internal work (sometimes it can get ugly in there and not nice for viewing) in which case perspex would be an option...

I would start to think about cooling efficiency if it's Class A monoblocks with little room inside. I normally cover my amps and equipment with a thin cloth to avoid gathering of dust so long as there aren't venting holes up top...

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #7,735 of 20,374

I put black electrical tape over all my LEDs, just cut it nicely so it looks good :)

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #7,736 of 20,374
  I put black electrical tape over all my LEDs, just cut it nicely so it looks good :)

Good idea. Although I kinda like the LED's at times, especially during the day. Trying to play both sides. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #7,737 of 20,374

Good idea. Although I kinda like the LED's at times, especially during the day. Trying to play both sides. 
biggrin.gif

You can also poke a tiny hole in the tape and have the best of both worlds :)

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #7,739 of 20,374
My PS Audio NuWave DAC has an acrylic cover and you always have to keep it clean from dust and fingerprints which gets kind of tedious after a while. I would think aluminium is your best best and I think it looks more classy. Nice amp that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back