Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Feb 1, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #13,501 of 14,386
The mids are a bit forward, but not as lush as something like an LCD-2. Great resolution and texture through the mids, however. The treble has a few small spikes, but nothing too terrible. Just enough to know it's there, really. But, to address what seems to be your underlying question, these won't sound like an HD650. For one thing, they will have more sub-bass extension and very little of the bass roll-off or distortion that the 650s have. They also aren't as lush in the mids or as polite in the treble. ZMF Ori pads, I find, add a bit of volume to the upper bass and lower mids, making the sound slightly thicker overall in a way that I would call 'lush.' The pad change greatly improved my enjoyment of these headphones, and I would highly recommend it.

I agree with phthora. I am a huge proponent of the ZMF Ori pads. I didn't think they could possibly improve the sound or comfort all that much but they did.

Feb 2, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #13,502 of 14,386
I recently downloaded your trial version of Sonarworks Truefi and tried it with a pair of Hifiman HE-400i headphones.

I find it changes the sound of the headphones significantly. For example, the sub bass is increased dramatically. Even when I put the bass to flat (e.g. no increase) the bass still sounds dramatically increased. I cannot achieve this level of bass with any other EQs that I’ve tried. For example, the built-in EQ in iTunes on my Macbook pro, even when I increase the 20hz bass slide all the way up, it comes nowhere close to reproducing the amount of bass I get with Truefi. Likewise, when I use my Schitt Loki EQ and turn the 20hz knob all the way up, it’s also not even close. The bass with Truefi has a certain wow factor at first, but it very quickly becomes fatiguing, causing my ears to ring.

Is this truly a flat response? Because it sounds to be like the bass is much louder than the other frequencies.

I also find that the Sonarworks frequency response of the 400i looks quite different in the bass from other online measurements. For example, Innerfidelity’s measurements shows the 400i to be quite flat below 100hz, while Sonarworks shows a steep roll-off shortly after 100hz. Anyone know why this might be?

The midrange is also changed quite dramatically. For example, I have noticed on some songs how Truefi emphasizes electric guitar much more and reduces the emphasis on the drums. I really noticed this in a few “Tool” songs.

Anyone else have any thoughts on these things?

I'm evaluating both True-Fi and Reference 4 and with both there is that powerful bass boost. You can use the controls to drop back on the bass level without losing the sub bass that is definitely missing from the 400i without the software. Going back and forth between enabled and disabled can be eye-opening. The high frequency peaks of the un-calibrated sound are tamed nicely and the midrange seems more natural. Details in snare drums and guitars are much more easily discerned. I'm still on the fence about purchasing, but it's disheartening to hear the imperfections of the un-calibrated headphones. If I do purchase, it will be the Reference 4 Headphone package for the additional $20.00 because of the additional controls and emulations.

Feb 2, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #13,503 of 14,386
I agree with phthora. I am a huge proponent of the ZMF Ori pads. I didn't think they could possibly improve the sound or comfort all that much but they did.

My 400is with Ori pads have been getting a lot more head-time than my 560s with Dekoni pads. The comfort is outrageous, and they sound fuller and richer than ever before. I would slap a set on my 560s, but I'm afraid I'd never listen to my 400is again.

Feb 3, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #13,504 of 14,386
Just got these a few days ago and just wanted to say they are very enjoyable. Makes you listen to material with vocals that you wouldn't normally listen to, at least that's what they do with me. Vocals I normally would skip over I'm now listening to due to the texture and presentation of the vocal. Drums are also done well, if I close my eyes you can feel the skin of the drum. I'm really liking these and they sound great out of my LD MKIII. Scored them on Amazon for 214 btw.

Listening to a Chesky Records sampler disc and loving the sound. Thumbs up!

Feb 3, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #13,505 of 14,386
Just got these a few days ago and just wanted to say they are very enjoyable. Makes you listen to material with vocals that you wouldn't normally listen to, at least that's what they do with me. Vocals I normally would skip over I'm now listening to due to the texture and presentation of the vocal. Drums are also done well, if I close my eyes you can feel the skin of the drum. I'm really liking these and they sound great out of my LD MKIII. Scored them on Amazon for 214 btw.

Listening to a Chesky Records sampler disc and loving the sound. Thumbs up!
Could have had mine for $200 with Sheepskin Brainwavz & Balanced Cable on top of stock accessories :D USA shipping only though lol

Feb 4, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #13,506 of 14,386
Too bad... didn't even realize it, I'm in New England, a lot of people see that and think I'm not in the US but I'm right in Massachusetts!
I'm a firm believer in cables and gave some thought to going balanced. I have two amps right now (Little Dot MKIII & Keces HA-171) and love them both because they are so different.
Is there a audible difference between unbalanced and balanced cables? Did you get to hear the 400i balanced and unbalanced?
thanks

Feb 4, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #13,507 of 14,386
Too bad... didn't even realize it, I'm in New England, a lot of people see that and think I'm not in the US but I'm right in Massachusetts!
I'm a firm believer in cables and gave some thought to going balanced. I have two amps right now (Little Dot MKIII & Keces HA-171) and love them both because they are so different.
Is there a audible difference between unbalanced and balanced cables? Did you get to hear the 400i balanced and unbalanced?
thanks
Ah I'm on mobile so it's not showing location so was putting it out there. I think the balanced output itself matters more than the cable, a bit of extra separation using balanced out vs stock and, of course, balanced outouts tend to have more power than Single Ended outputs.

Feb 4, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #13,508 of 14,386

As a resident of New Mexico, I feel your pain.

Feb 4, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #13,509 of 14,386
@CADCAM , @Lurk650 the cables for balanced or SE don't make any difference in sound, its all in the amp and its design. While I've never heard a HE400i on a balanced amp I've been able to hear other headphones like a HD800/S, HD700, HE560, HE1K, LCD-3f, LCD-X, PS1ke, HD650, and a few others on amps (Liquid Glass, Liquid Gold, MHA-100, Dark Star, Liquid Carbon-V1, EC Balancing Act and V281) that have both balanced and SE output and didn't notice any differences in sound. Granted I believe that these amps were all well designed and probably made to sound good/great for either output. The Jot was one of the few amps that did sound a little better (imaging and sound stage) with the balanced output but I only tried a HD650 (not the best for soundstage) with both outputs so I'm not sure if the differences would be noticeable with other headphones that already have fairly good soundstage.

Feb 4, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #13,510 of 14,386
thanks

Neither of your amps have a balanced output, so there's no sense in you buying a balanced cable at the moment (unless you have something else you can run the headphones from which has a balanced output)
While a standard output has three points of contact (one for negative and one each for left and right positive) a balanced output has four (a positive and negative each for left and right). A balanced cable will have a plug with four contact bands (as opposed to three on a standard SE stereo plug).

Feb 5, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #13,511 of 14,386
These are $179 shipped at buydig brand new with promo code LISTENUP

Feb 14, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #13,513 of 14,386
I just purchased Sonarworks Reference 4 Headphone Edition specifically for the dramatic improvement it brings to the HE-400i (and many other headphones). They have a slightly cheaper version named True-fi that does the same thing without some bells and whistles. Both are free to try. Give them a shot.

Feb 14, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #13,514 of 14,386

Users who are viewing this thread

Back