Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Feb 25, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #13,533 of 14,386
I have had the 400i for a while now and I will say this. They are not kidding about the 150hr burn in period. The Bass response gets much deeper, the Highs smooth out, and the Mids get more width and depth to them the more you use them. They also respond very well to EQ. A great bargain for what they are selling for these days.
Mostly bought mine for gaming but good to hear bass reponse improves after burn in. 0hr mark was...disappointing. After 15hrs of burn-in I was glad there was some bass showing up. Looking forward to what it's like after more burn in.

Feb 25, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #13,534 of 14,386
Got these a couple months ago now and wanted to post that I am really enjoying them. They sound fantastic out of my LD MKIII and NAD cd player but not so good out of a cheapish external DAC smsl SD793II.
I think they scale up really well and if you have good amplification and source equipment your in for a treat.
My Keces amp with a higher quality DAC sounds absolutely great IMHO. If your having SQ issue's try some better equipment if possible before passing final judgement.

Feb 25, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #13,535 of 14,386
Thanks again. M1060 is on my radar, too. Ordering a pair soon, probably HE 400i because I can get them through my local dealer (the only one here in Montenegro - hard life for us music lovers living here).
I've heard the M1060 a few times and I didn't care for its sound signature since its a bit rolled of in the highs and would be my definition of a "veiled" sound so I found them quite boring. But if you are very sensitive to sibilance then these should be considered over the HE400i since the highs of the HE400i can be sibilant to some. The other issue with the M1060 is the QC, many have cracks in the cups and its about as bad as what's happening with the broken headbands of the HE560 these days.

Mar 1, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #13,537 of 14,386
What failed on them? Can you give some details?
My friend has these and he loved the sound.. they just broke. A very common issue in this line.

Mar 1, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #13,539 of 14,386
The hinge. Its all cracked, which is a very common problem for these cans. He told Hifiman and they stated is was because of the user, not the headphone. He's had them since December .
Its called the "yoke" that is breaking and its only with the latest batch, same with the HE560 that the yoke is breaking so it looks like there was a bad batch of headbands for all of the similar models which all use the same headband.

Mar 1, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #13,541 of 14,386
me too, mine are from September last year and have hundreds of hours on them

Mar 1, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #13,542 of 14,386
@Zackobrien, is your HE400i from the same time frame as your friends that broke? If it is I'd be a little worried

@rids57, I think you might be in the clears since it seems like the ones with the yoke breaking were purchased in Dec or later but you never know.

It might help if people start to list the SN so all can track what seems to be the range of recent failures.

Mar 2, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #13,543 of 14,386
Very strange. Among other phones, I've had Beyers DT990 for 21 years. Sound is a matter of preference, some like brighter, some like neutral/darker sound, recessed/forward mids etc. What is unquestionable is the construction quality and durability. During these 21 years, I only replaced earpads twice! Now, my elder daughter uses them extensively, and they still look and work great. I can understand driver issues with planar headphones due to the fact that they are technologically more complex than dynamic drivers. But yoke/hinge issues, wood cracks - that's ridiculous! Hifiman and Audeze should study reliable companies' designs. It's not a shame to copy to some extent models of some other brands if they themselves can't design something that can last for years (decades). Beyerdynamic is a company they should look up to. For me personally, warranty is useless. If there is something wrong with the phones, I have to pay shipping cost to USA/China. And when they send me another pair, AGAIN I have to pay import duties and other fees mounting to 100 euros (for 400i). Nonsense!

Mar 4, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #13,544 of 14,386
i bought the 400i two and a half year ago for 499$. at the beginning i used them a lot, but over time i listened more with the hd 650 and since i have a portable setup (since a half year) i barely use the 400i. Now i was thinking about selling them. To my suprise the official store of hifiman on ebay sells them for 219$..... wow. This is very nice for people who were considering buying them but never really pulled the trigger. But for me this means, that the 400i is the first and the last product i will ever buy from hifiman. the loss in value is over 50% (if they would be new!). How could i be able to sell a two and a half year old hp for let's say for 200$ when someone can have them new for 219. for comparison: the hd 650 has nearly the same price since three years. Don't get me wrong here. i think the 400i is a good headphone. but the pricing policy sucks imo.

Mar 4, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #13,545 of 14,386
i bought the 400i two and a half year ago for 499$. at the beginning i used them a lot, but over time i listened more with the hd 650 and since i have a portable setup (since a half year) i barely use the 400i. Now i was thinking about selling them. To my suprise the official store of hifiman on ebay sells them for 219$..... wow. This is very nice for people who were considering buying them but never really pulled the trigger. But for me this means, that the 400i is the first and the last product i will ever buy from hifiman. the loss in value is over 50% (if they would be new!). How could i be able to sell a two and a half year old hp for let's say for 200$ when someone can have them new for 219. for comparison: the hd 650 has nearly the same price since three years. Don't get me wrong here. i think the 400i is a good headphone. but the pricing policy sucks imo.

While I feel you're pain and understand the disappointment the HD6XX is $199 on Massdrop very often so Sennheiser does pretty much the same thing. That being said the HD650 has been around for a lot longer though ......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back