Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Mar 4, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #13,546 of 14,386
i bought the 400i two and a half year ago for 499$. at the beginning i used them a lot, but over time i listened more with the hd 650 and since i have a portable setup (since a half year) i barely use the 400i. Now i was thinking about selling them. To my suprise the official store of hifiman on ebay sells them for 219$..... wow. This is very nice for people who were considering buying them but never really pulled the trigger. But for me this means, that the 400i is the first and the last product i will ever buy from hifiman. the loss in value is over 50% (if they would be new!). How could i be able to sell a two and a half year old hp for let's say for 200$ when someone can have them new for 219. for comparison: the hd 650 has nearly the same price since three years. Don't get me wrong here. i think the 400i is a good headphone. but the pricing policy sucks imo.
A few things you should also consider: 1) if you have the older back plate / SMC version I think its a slightly better sounding one over the newer 2.5mm jack version, 2) you have 2.5 years of enjoyment with them and like a car they depreciate quickly since they are not rare, 3) have you seen all the problems many are having with the current version with cracked yokes and drivers failing? So while yours might be older it still has value and to some it might be worth more than the $220 for a new one. I also find your complaint about the lost in value to be unwarranted since prices usually goes down with most tech products over time due do advancements in manufacturing and improved technology.

This is just my opinion :ksc75smile:

Mar 5, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #13,547 of 14,386
prices usually goes down with most tech products over time due do advancements in manufacturing and improved technology.

This is just my opinion :ksc75smile:

Thanks for your opinion. I see your point with the version. About the lost in value. -56% in 2.5 years applies not with most tech products. At least not in my country.
With this price trend the 400i falls in the same category as some flagship smartphones (a new samsung galaxy s6 is available for -51% on ebay). I'm not a fan of the flagship cellphone price policy either, but hey, to each their own.

Mar 5, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #13,549 of 14,386
Can someone recommend a well-made replacement cable that is reasonably priced (below $100)?

I bought a $40 one on ebay and while it sounds good, the contacts at the headphone end are unstable and the sound goes out in each earphone depending on which direction you turn your head.

Mar 5, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #13,550 of 14,386
Can someone recommend a well-made replacement cable that is reasonably priced (below $100)?

I bought a $40 one on ebay and while it sounds good, the contacts at the headphone end are unstable and the sound goes out in each earphone depending on which direction you turn your head.

I have a balanced cable from Periapt that is excellent. Nicely finished and flexible. For balanced, it was $74, IIRC, but cheaper for single-ended. Quick turn-around too. I got my cable in about 8 days.

Also be aware that some companies, like Venus, list HiFiMan connectors, but what they mean is connectors for the HEK/HEX or SMC for older versions. The 400i/560 2.5mm are a bit different.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #13,551 of 14,386

Lol I'm not an expert, but not thinking it's that, third is not ideal

Mar 5, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #13,552 of 14,386

These days I get most of my cables from here:

https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=16

Excellent value for money imo. Remember to choose e-packet for fastest shipping :wink:

Mar 5, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #13,554 of 14,386
Is the headband identical in HE-560, HE-500, HE-400 and HE-350 models?
HE560, HE400i, HE400S and HE350 all use the same headband
HE400 and HE500 use the older style headband

What I meant was that when you pull in one or the direction slightly on the cable, one or the other ear cup goes out. Yeah, sucks to have to buy a third cable.
I'm assuming you have 2.5mm jacks in your HE400i since what you describe would not normally happen with SMC jacks. It might not be the cable that is the problem but the 2.5mm jack inside the cups that are causing the intermittent cut out.

Mar 5, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #13,555 of 14,386
HE560, HE400i, HE400S and HE350 all use the same headband
HE400 and HE500 use the older style headband

I'm assuming you have 2.5mm jacks in your HE400i since what you describe would not normally happen with SMC jacks. It might not be the cable that is the problem but the 2.5mm jack inside the cups that are causing the intermittent cut out.

Yes, I have the 2.5mm jacks. That would totally suck because if purchase another cable and then realize it's not the cable I'd have wasted another $50+. Damn!

Mar 5, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #13,556 of 14,386
Mar 5, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #13,557 of 14,386
Mar 5, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #13,558 of 14,386
Yes, I have the 2.5mm jacks. That would totally suck because if purchase another cable and then realize it's not the cable I'd have wasted another $50+. Damn!
If you have a multi meter you can check the cable for continuity while moving/bending the cable and see if it cuts out so that you can eliminate the cable as the problem.

Mar 5, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #13,559 of 14,386
If you have a multi meter you can check the cable for continuity while moving/bending the cable and see if it cuts out so that you can eliminate the cable as the problem.

I'm pretty sure it's the cable, when i push on the cable near the 2.5mm end I get the problem. I've decided to buy a cheapish cable on Amazon to check. If everything's is fine with the cans, I'll return the cable and get a periapt cable. Thanks for the suggestions and tips.

Mar 6, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #13,560 of 14,386
i bought the 400i two and a half year ago for 499$. at the beginning i used them a lot, but over time i listened more with the hd 650 and since i have a portable setup (since a half year) i barely use the 400i. Now i was thinking about selling them. To my suprise the official store of hifiman on ebay sells them for 219$..... wow. This is very nice for people who were considering buying them but never really pulled the trigger. But for me this means, that the 400i is the first and the last product i will ever buy from hifiman. the loss in value is over 50% (if they would be new!). How could i be able to sell a two and a half year old hp for let's say for 200$ when someone can have them new for 219. for comparison: the hd 650 has nearly the same price since three years. Don't get me wrong here. i think the 400i is a good headphone. but the pricing policy sucks imo.
In 2014 I bought AKG K240 MK II for nearly 140€. Today, the prize for these is starting on 74€ in my country and I just sell them today for 50€. I think, that prize drop of 400i is not that extreme.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back