Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 29, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #13,411 of 14,386
Ate the TH600 and TH900 pads different? I think when I ordered them from the distributor they are listed as TH600/TH900 pads.
I don't have access to a TH-900 at the moment but will ask my friend who has TH-600 and TH-900 to check the pads on his. FYI, I have Dekoni TH-900 sheep skin pads not OEM TH-900 pads

Quick shout out to anyone considering the HE400i's in the second hand market: the HE400 with silver cables are way better in pretty much every way. Soundstage, bass, mid range, treble extension, dadida.
Agree that a modded HE-400 is better sounding and cheaper than a HE400i but I didn't need a silver cable, just sorbothane in the cups and grill mod with a hard rubber section in the middle to bring up the mids. Also modified the headband so its way more comfortable and using Focus pads with attenuation rings.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #13,412 of 14,386
I'm using an 8 Core Black Litz from VE on mine. I love it though I wish I had got it in 3.5TRRS so I could easily use a 2.5 balanced adapter and not have to swap to stock cable when I want to listen to it via my Magni 3 (uses 1/4" input adapter)

Dec 30, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #13,413 of 14,386
I'm using an 8 Core Black Litz from VE on mine. I love it though I wish I had got it in 3.5TRRS so I could easily use a 2.5 balanced adapter and not have to swap to stock cable when I want to listen to it via my Magni 3 (uses 1/4" input adapter)

Is the cable balanced or single ended, what termination do you have now?

Dec 30, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #13,415 of 14,386
If you EQ, EQ down and that should mitigate distortion. So to raise bass 6db, lower all other frequencies by 6db. You'll need headroom on your amp since this will lower the volume but this might help improve bass quality via EQ and give you the kick you want. If you are already doing this, that would be good to know as well.

I would also try improving the seal between the pads and headphone at the mounting ring either with tape on the outside or some interstitial material, I hear that improves bass quite well.

If you Eq down everything than bass, and rise overall volume, it is same as you just boost the bass, as long as you keep your gainstaging ok.
And raising bass by 6dB and lowering everything else that same amount, boosts bass +12dB :wink:

Dec 30, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #13,416 of 14,386
Is the cable balanced or single ended, what termination do you have now?
VE cable is 2.5mm balanced.

My Magni 3 is 1/4in so I use a 3.5mm female to 1/4 male which means I need to swap to the stock cable when I want to use them together

Dec 30, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #13,417 of 14,386
VE cable is 2.5mm balanced.

My Magni 3 is 1/4in so I use a 3.5mm female to 1/4 male which means I need to swap to the stock cable when I want to use them together

VE has a 2.5mm trrs to 3.5mm SE adapter, just trow on a 6.3mm plug and you're ready to go without switching cables :wink:

Dec 30, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #13,418 of 14,386
Oh I know, I unfortunately forgot to order one with my 3.5TRRS cable I ordered the other day. Swapping the cables isn't too difficult and I rarely do. My 99C get more use (using them right now actually lol)

Jan 1, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #13,419 of 14,386
If you Eq down everything than bass, and rise overall volume, it is same as you just boost the bass, as long as you keep your gainstaging ok.
And raising bass by 6dB and lowering everything else that same amount, boosts bass +12dB :wink:

I've EQ'd bass up and run up against distortion more often than when I EQ everything else down and raise the volume higher. When I said lower everything by 6db except bass, I didn't mean to raise the bass 6db and lower everything else by 6db. I mean keep everything at 0db and lower down the rest to get your 6db boost bass differential.

Edit: yeah, upon reviewing my original post, not sure where the confusion was.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #13,420 of 14,386
Hello,

I am owning HE400i for a few weeks. I love them, they sound great, warm. I am just missing little bigger soundstage, but nothing I can`t live without. For now, at least.

Now I am finding a headamp which will be good match with them. Now I play through the Dragonfly v1.2. It sounds good, but I feel, there should be improvement in control during the louder listening. So, now I am reading a lot during the last days, but as I do not have opportunity to listen to the by myself, I am here. My latest list is as follow:
- Schiit Jotunheim
- Fostex HP-A4
- Aune X1s
- iFi micro iDSD Black Label

OR, there should be just an AMP and I can keep my Dragonfly v1.2 and use it as DAC. But I think, the AMPs mentioned above should have better sounding DAC?
I am really interested in Jotunheim and iFi micro iDSD BL, but I heard, that the other ones are great as well. And maybe there is another great option. I am lost for now.

What do you think? Which one of them should be a good match for HE400i? I like the musical, fun presentation with good dynamic, separation and as much details as possible. I love huge soundstage, but I know, HE400i have their limits there, so if the AMP should be able to improve this as well, it would be great. My budget is around 500€.

Thanks for your help.

Jan 2, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #13,421 of 14,386
Hello,

I am owning HE400i for a few weeks. I love them, they sound great, warm. I am just missing little bigger soundstage, but nothing I can`t live without. For now, at least.

Now I am finding a headamp which will be good match with them. Now I play through the Dragonfly v1.2. It sounds good, but I feel, there should be improvement in control during the louder listening. So, now I am reading a lot during the last days, but as I do not have opportunity to listen to the by myself, I am here. My latest list is as follow:
- Schiit Jotunheim
- Fostex HP-A4
- Aune X1s
- iFi micro iDSD Black Label

OR, there should be just an AMP and I can keep my Dragonfly v1.2 and use it as DAC. But I think, the AMPs mentioned above should have better sounding DAC?
I am really interested in Jotunheim and iFi micro iDSD BL, but I heard, that the other ones are great as well. And maybe there is another great option. I am lost for now.

What do you think? Which one of them should be a good match for HE400i? I like the musical, fun presentation with good dynamic, separation and as much details as possible. I love huge soundstage, but I know, HE400i have their limits there, so if the AMP should be able to improve this as well, it would be great. My budget is around 500€.

Thanks for your help.
I wouldn't get the Jot for the HE400i, its a slightly bright amp to me and didn't pair well with the HE400i when I tried it. A few of my friends use a Project Polaris but these might be hard to get in your country. I normally use the headphone jack of my UD-301 works quite well with the HE400i. I also suggest getting the DAC and amp as separate devices so you get more flexibility in changing out gear.

Jan 2, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #13,423 of 14,386
@malenak I have heard really good things about the Ifi. I think getting a high quality DAC that has a good built in amp is a good first step then decide if you want an amp to go with it.

I personally have the Burson Audio Conductor Air which has a powerful amp built in ($500) but for fun and flexibility for future harder to drive headphones I got the Magni 3 ($100). I think the 400i sounds great through them.

Jan 2, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #13,424 of 14,386
Hmm, it doesn`t sound bad, to take Magni 3 which I can use with my actual Dragonfly as a DAC. Or, will the Modi Multibit be the big step over the Dragonfly?

And I am still curious about the iFi micro iDSD BL.

Jan 2, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #13,425 of 14,386
Hmm, it doesn`t sound bad, to take Magni 3 which I can use with my actual Dragonfly as a DAC. Or, will the Modi Multibit be the big step over the Dragonfly?

And I am still curious about the iFi micro iDSD BL.
IMO an amp doesn't make a huge difference with gear. It just gives you more headroom for demanding headphones. This is why I said, get a quality DAC then decide if you want an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back