Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 24, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #13,381 of 14,386
The rings don't get bent out of shape? I know using the plain oval pads, my 3d printed rings (I can't imagine the stock rings are more rigid) do bend slightly due to the tension - they flatten out once snapped in properly. The angles need to be stretched far more and i'd think put more pressure on the rings (regardless, I'm too chicken to try)
Hey, could you share those 3D print files? That would be amazing?

Dec 24, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #13,382 of 14,386
Dec 25, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #13,383 of 14,386
I love my HE-400i with ZMF Ori Pads!

QYuV10C.jpg

Jrzcck7.jpg

I like it with the stock pads, but with the Ori Pads I'm unable to get the headphones out of my head. Amazing sound!

Dec 25, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #13,384 of 14,386
Buy these, $10. http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/earpad-mounting-rings.html

Super simple, pop off stock pads, put aftermarket pads on rings and pop back in place (which can be a little pain but not too difficult)
Thank you very much
Merry Christmas to you
I have indeed ORDER HR5 to be THE FAT ONE
And the RINGS from the company site

I would like to say about HIFINAN gave me an outstanding service
And quickly - I got spare parts for the HE400I
Well done HIFIMAN

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #13,386 of 14,386
Ori pads are the way to go. I really think they end the debate of which pads are best for the he400is.
Why do they work with the 400i so well? I'm thinking about getting them for my HD560. I used to own the 400i and am familiar with the sound, so I might be able to deduce what the Ori pads will do to the 560 from what they do to the 400i.

Dec 25, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #13,387 of 14,386
Why do they work with the 400i so well? I'm thinking about getting them for my HD560. I used to own the 400i and am familiar with the sound, so I might be able to deduce what the Ori pads will do to the 560 from what they do to the 400i.
They improve the overall comfort considerably, but more importantly they improve the bass of the 400i.

Dec 26, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #13,388 of 14,386
Ori pads are the way to go. I really think they end the debate of which pads are best for the he400is.

I have tried other pads and Ori Pads are the best for HE-400i. This pads improve the lower frequencies and becomes a little warm without getting too far away from your stock sound.

Complementing the information, my Ori Pads have Lambskin finish. I can't ensure the same result with different finishes (velour, protein...)

Cheers

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #13,389 of 14,386
Hi, guys!
For a while I was looking for a new pad for my 400i. Some people recommended the Alpha pads, some says those ar crap. A few people recommended the Ether pads and now the new trend is Ori pads.
I ask this question from Mad_Economis, and he wrote the following:
"I strongly recommend against using non-Hifiman pads on Hifimans
I and several people I know are great fans of Hifiman's work, and so I've measured quite a lot of combinations of pads and Hifiman headphones at this point
And without exception replacing the pads with anything other than Focus makes things worse, pretty much
What the problems are varies by the pads, but you're better off with Hifiman pads
Which is a shame, because Hifiman pads are terrible quality for the price, but the sound really is their strong point
Speaking specifically, I've measured the Alphas on a few Hifimans, and please, do not do it
Given the commonalities of the Ori and Ether pads with the Alphas, Audeze pads, and a few other similar pads I've measured, I would hazard that the same recommendation could be given there
If you're absolutely adamant on not giving Hifiman money, the Brainwavz HM5 Hybrid pads would probably be the least bad of the options I can think of.
"

So, what do you think? The Ori pads are truely better than the others? How?

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #13,390 of 14,386
Hi, guys!
For a while I was looking for a new pad for my 400i. Some people recommended the Alpha pads, some says those ar ****. A few people recommended the Ether pads and now the new trend is Ori pads.
I and several people I know are great fans of Hifiman's work, and so I've measured quite a lot of combinations of pads and Hifiman headphones at this point
And without exception replacing the pads with anything other than Focus makes things worse, pretty much
What the problems are varies by the pads, but you're better off with Hifiman pads
Which is a shame, because Hifiman pads are terrible quality for the price, but the sound really is their strong point
Speaking specifically, I've measured the Alphas on a few Hifimans, and please, do not do it
Given the commonalities of the Ori and Ether pads with the Alphas, Audeze pads, and a few other similar pads I've measured, I would hazard that the same recommendation could be given there
If you're absolutely adamant on not giving Hifiman money, the Brainwavz HM5 Hybrid pads would probably be the least bad of the options I can think of.
"

Lol don't listen to him. I have BW Sheepskin on mine and i love them. Yes it alters the bass but it's for the better, for my tastes

Dec 28, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #13,391 of 14,386
Just change it if you are not happy of them.
I am happy with my A pads, I could spend 50$ even if I paid the the400i 170$ but I like them a lot.
When I will be not happy anymore of the cans I wil just spend the money on a better pair

Dec 28, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #13,392 of 14,386
Hi, guys!
For a while I was looking for a new pad for my 400i. Some people recommended the Alpha pads, some says those ar ****. A few people recommended the Ether pads and now the new trend is Ori pads.
"

Measurement are only good if you want to keep the stock sound, for those that want to change the sound (more bass, less treble) then changing pads is one way of doing this. Only you can say if the Ori, Alpha or any other pad is better than the stock Focus pads. Don't forget comfort since some find the Focus pads not very comfortable and I'd say the Ori and TH-900 sheep skin pads are very comfortable but yes they do change the sound but its up to you if its for the better or not.

Dec 28, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #13,393 of 14,386
I didn't think that TH-900 sheepskin changed the sound very much at all. I haven't A/B them due to the PITA of changing the pads, but it seemed a pretty consistent between the Focus and the Dekoni on both the 400i and the 560. In fact, I'm looking at getting some Ori pads for the 400i to get more of a change.

Dec 28, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #13,394 of 14,386
I didn't think that TH-900 sheepskin changed the sound very much at all. I haven't A/B them due to the PITA of changing the pads, but it seemed a pretty consistent between the Focus and the Dekoni on both the 400i and the 560. In fact, I'm looking at getting some Ori pads for the 400i to get more of a change.
Changing pads is easy and quick using a credit card or similar stiff card. To remove a pad just slide the credit card and gently lift the pad to unhook one tad and slide it over to a second tab and repeat. To mount a pad get two of the tabs in the slots and use the credit card to gently push the tab inward while gently pushing down and the tab should quickly go into place. Takes me about 5-10 seconds to remove and about the same amount of time to install a pad, but its even better when I have my son's HE560 to do comparisons.

Dec 28, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #13,395 of 14,386
Changing pads is easy and quick using a credit card or similar stiff card. To remove a pad just slide the credit card and gently lift the pad to unhook one tad and slide it over to a second tab and repeat. To mount a pad get two of the tabs in the slots and use the credit card to gently push the tab inward while gently pushing down and the tab should quickly go into place. Takes me about 5-10 seconds to remove and about the same amount of time to install a pad, but its even better when I have my son's HE560 to do comparisons.

That, my friend, qualifies as a PITA in my book. Especially, for multiple back-and-forths. Perhaps at the next meet-up I can arrange a less tedious A/B test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back