Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Oct 12, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #13,126 of 14,386
He400i is like the planar equivalent of hd600. Don't bother changing. If you want a real upgrade save up for hd800. Once you hear high end you will be amazed... And it's worth it.

Hello guys. I kindly ask you for help. I have HD600. HE400i recently went on sale at my local audio store. I tried them and also compared to HD600 but except better bass on HE400i I can tell much of a difference. I played music directly from my Redmi Note 4 (no AMP). I liked HE400i better in terms of overall SQ but would something like O2 AMP made a noticable difference between these two cans? I can keep just one of these. Hope you understand my dilema. I will be thankful of any opinions. Thanks guys! Just tell me for which one should I go for :D

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #13,128 of 14,386
@DW75 , I'm running a slightly modified version of your EQ with my Ori pads, and I must say I like very much what I'm hearing! The only difference is instead of reducing 500Hz by 3.5 dB, I reduce that band by only 1 dB. Might be the lambskin leather of my Ori's not pushing that region as much as the pleather HM5's... or just personal preference. In either case, this EQ does make the sound slightly more natural and enjoyable to my ears. I encourage those who have the Ori pads to give DW75's EQ a try!

The dekoni pads must be similar to the Ori pads because this sounds great! The dekoni pads are angled but aren't as thick as the HM5's. The Dekonis are also out of sheepskin. Does the material have an effect?

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #13,129 of 14,386
@fasterI think that I remember Hifiman saying that it is 150 hours.
Burn-in time.. maybe not at all needed. However:

I am not a great believer of absolutes when it comes to needing "X hours" before something sounds its best.
Do what makes you feel good. Let it go until you run out of patience, or until it (the sound) stops changing, to your ears !!

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #13,130 of 14,386
The dekoni pads must be similar to the Ori pads because this sounds great! The dekoni pads are angled but aren't as thick as the HM5's. The Dekonis are also out of sheepskin. Does the material have an effect?

In my experience with the ZMF Vibros and aftermarket pads than yeah the material enhances or negates different aspects of your headphones sound signature. Typically the thicker the material the less the higher frequencies are emphasized while the thinner or more open the cups the more they are emphasized. Pleather has a different sound than sheepskin or cowhide. Cowhide has the most warmth while sheepskin is the most balanced.

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #13,132 of 14,386
Thanks for the positive comments on my EQ. I just have a very fine tuned ear, and I know how things should sound.
There are quite a few posts talking about how it could be beneficial to reduce sibilance to drop the 8k frequency by 3dbs or so - is there any merit to this? Also there are a few convolver files for the he-400i that make massive changes to the eq of these headphones. How can such subtle changes such as the ones suggested by you sound so good when those convolver files are created using technological voodoo? Don't get me wrong I like your eq suggestions better than the convolver files. I have all three loaded into equalizer apo and have been listening to different songs for hours switching between all of them and I like your suggestions best. Is the ear mightier than the measurement devices they use?

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #13,133 of 14,386
Well, we all hear things differently. I have been listening to music on good equipment since I was a small child. As friends tell me, I just seem to be able to detect problems in how things sound. When I listen to music, I can actually detect the problematic areas in the frequencies just by ear.

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #13,134 of 14,386
w
Well, we all hear things differently. I have been listening to music on good equipment since I was a small child. As friends tell me, I just seem to be able to detect problems in how things sound. When I listen to music, I can actually detect the problematic areas in the frequencies just by ear.
It's truly an awesome talent!

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #13,136 of 14,386
I also have an EQ set I created for using with the K712 Pro as well. The K712 Pro is my favorite headphone I own, and it sounds amazing with this EQ.

160Hz: - 1
200Hz - 1
250Hz - 1
315Hz - 1
2kHz: - 1
3.15kHz: + 2
4kHz: + 1
8.5kHz: + 0.5
10kHz: + 0.5
12.5kHz: - 0.5
16kHz: + 0.5

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #13,137 of 14,386
I also have an EQ set I created for using with the K712 Pro as well. The K712 Pro is my favorite headphone I own, and it sounds amazing with this EQ.

160Hz: - 1
200Hz - 1
250Hz - 1
315Hz - 1
2kHz: - 1
3.15kHz: + 2
4kHz: + 1
8.5kHz: + 0.5
10kHz: + 0.5
12.5kHz: - 0.5
16kHz: + 0.5

The 712 will be my next set. It hits on my end game sound signature I'm looking for (warm with lots of clarity and good bass). Just wish it was in a different color. How hard would it be to paint that orange metal bit that runs up top? Is it easy to remove without compromising the structural integrity of the can?

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #13,138 of 14,386
The 712 will be my next set. It hits on my end game sound signature I'm looking for (warm with lots of clarity and good bass). Just wish it was in a different color. How hard would it be to paint that orange metal bit that runs up top? Is it easy to remove without compromising the structural integrity of the can?
Does it have planar drivers?

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #13,140 of 14,386

I have not taken my K712 Pro apart, so I can't say for sure. I actually like the orange though. It gives the headphone a bit of excitement in appearance compared to most. You might change your mind when you see it in person. IMO, the K712 Pro is a step above the HE400i. It offers a level of refinement, musicality, and detail that the HE400i just can't match. It is the best sounding headphone out of the DT880 Premium 250 Ohm, HE400i, and K712 Pro that I own. Feel free to give my EQ a try with it. I bet you will be impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back