Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Oct 11, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #13,112 of 14,386
Those look great man. You think you could make me some with a 1/4 adapter instead?

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #13,113 of 14,386
Made my own cables for the he-400is: https://imgur.com/a/bVWCb. I think they turned out well and I'm happy with how they sound.
I like the contrast in colors. Can't quite see how you did the split which is what I find the hardest to make look decent so I've usually just used some aluminum/carbon fiber splitter like these:
Carbon-Fiber Splitter-2.jpg

The last cable I built for a friend for her HE400i:
Cable-1.jpg
sorry you can't see the end where the 2.5mm jacks are

Oct 11, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #13,115 of 14,386
I like the contrast in colors. Can't quite see how you did the split which is what I find the hardest to make look decent so I've usually just used some aluminum/carbon fiber splitter like these:

The last cable I built for a friend for her HE400i:

sorry you can't see the end where the 2.5mm jacks are

the split is just a mini xlr connector male and female. You can see a button in the middle that would allow me to disconnect the two halves. That's all I did. The splitter you have there is the more common way of dealing with the y intersection and probably the better way. I did the way I did because the first time I attempted to make my own cables the lengths from the two sides were different so I had a lopsided y with no great way to fix it. This allows me to disconnect and desolder the mini xlr and adjust lengths without dismantling everything.

Oct 11, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #13,116 of 14,386
Hello guys. I kindly ask you for help. I have HD600. HE400i recently went on sale at my local audio store. I tried them and also compared to HD600 but except better bass on HE400i I can tell much of a difference. I played music directly from my Redmi Note 4 (no AMP). I liked HE400i better in terms of overall SQ but would something like O2 AMP made a noticable difference between these two cans? I can keep just one of these. Hope you understand my dilema. I will be thankful of any opinions. Thanks guys! Just tell me for which one should I go for :D

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #13,117 of 14,386
the split is just a mini xlr connector male and female. You can see a button in the middle that would allow me to disconnect the two halves. That's all I did. The splitter you have there is the more common way of dealing with the y intersection and probably the better way. I did the way I did because the first time I attempted to make my own cables the lengths from the two sides were different so I had a lopsided y with no great way to fix it. This allows me to disconnect and desolder the mini xlr and adjust lengths without dismantling everything.
That is a innovative / great way to fix your problem and I can also see it as a way to go from SE to balanced in the future if using a 4 pin mini-XLR jacks. I need to consider this in the future, thanks for the idea.

Hello guys. I kindly ask you for help. I have HD600. HE400i recently went on sale at my local audio store. I tried them and also compared to HD600 but except better bass on HE400i I can tell much of a difference. I played music directly from my Redmi Note 4 (no AMP). I liked HE400i better in terms of overall SQ but would something like O2 AMP made a noticable difference between these two cans? I can keep just one of these. Hope you understand my dilema. I will be thanful of any opinions. Thanks guys! Just tell me for which one should I go for :D
The headphone that I would keep depends on what genres you like and how important is the bass to you. I'm not a fan of the O2 amp due to my experience with it but others seem to think the world of them. Almost any would probably make a difference in how both the HD600 and HE400i sound but I would say that the HD600 would most likely have the more noticeable change since it does scale with better gear and is more difficult to drive than the HE400i. I would suggest the new Magni3 over the O2 even if I haven't heard the Magni3 yet due to most calling it slightly warmer than the old Magni2, the O2 was bright to me and didn't pair well with any of the headphones I had at the time. I've sold my HD600 only because it has a small peak in the 4-5khz range that bothered me at times and still have my HE400i but its an older SMC/back plate model that also has sorbothane in the cups and the grill mod. For me I would keep the HD600 and get a amp like the Project Polaris ($250) since its a good pairing with the HD600 and in the future its a more flexible amp that can be configured to match other headphones better than most amps in its price range.

Oct 11, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #13,118 of 14,386
I am currently making notes and doing a long listen for my review comparison between my K712 Pro, and HE400i with the HM5 pads. It appears that after the full burn in period time that my HE400i has fully settled. As a result, the EQ needs to be adjusted again, and the slight upper treble increase used in my previous EQ needed to now be removed. Here is the new EQ for anyone else who uses the HM5 pads and wants to give this a try. I think you will be impressed. These pads conbined with this EQ gives an extremely balanced sound signature.

200Hz: - 0.5
250Hz: - 0.5
400Hz: - 1.0
500Hz: - 3.5
650Hz: - 1.0
800Hz: - 1.0
1kHz: - 1.5
10kHz: - 0.5

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #13,119 of 14,386
I am currently making notes and doing a long listen for my review comparison between my K712 Pro, and HE400i with the HM5 pads. It appears that after the full burn in period time that my HE400i has fully settled. As a result, the EQ needs to be adjusted again, and the slight upper treble increase used in my previous EQ needed to now be removed. Here is the new EQ for anyone else who uses the HM5 pads and wants to give this a try. I think you will be impressed. These pads conbined with this EQ gives an extremely balanced sound signature.

200Hz: - 0.5
250Hz: - 0.5
400Hz: - 1.0
500Hz: - 3.5
650Hz: - 1.0
800Hz: - 1.0
1kHz: - 1.5
10kHz: - 0.5
What about the sub 100 frequencies? Are they left alone?

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #13,121 of 14,386
If I have the chance, I´ll try the hd650. It is probably what I´m looking for.

Guys, yesterday I compared again voices with Hifiman he-400i and Shure 535ltd and It was a disaster for 400i.
Listening the song "Back on my feet" by "Louis baker" (non audiophile song but a good song for me), 400i did something very weird. They broke the voice like a bad speaker and lost effects in the voice that in 535 I could listen in a very pleasent way :frowning2: . Actually, with most songs, voices are broken with thouse headphones.

It seems like I only enjoy with Mike Olfield and Dire Straits with the 400i.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #13,123 of 14,386
If I have the chance, I´ll try the hd650. It is probably what I´m looking for.

Guys, yesterday I compared again voices with Hifiman he-400i and Shure 535ltd and It was a disaster for 400i.
Listening the song "Back on my feet" by "Louis baker" (non audiophile song but a good song for me), 400i did something very weird. They broke the voice like a bad speaker and lost effects in the voice that in 535 I could listen in a very pleasent way :frowning2: . Actually, with most songs, voices are broken with thouse headphones.

It seems like I only enjoy with Mike Olfield and Dire Straits with the 400i.
I listened to "back of my feet" from youtube and I agree with you that it sounds a little strange on the HE400i to me also. Tried my HD650 and it was a little better but it sounded best on my SRH-1840. This is a strange coincidence that the song would sound good a Shure headphone or an indication that Shure tunes the sound of their IEM and headphones very similar.

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #13,124 of 14,386
@DW75 , I'm running a slightly modified version of your EQ with my Ori pads, and I must say I like very much what I'm hearing! The only difference is instead of reducing 500Hz by 3.5 dB, I reduce that band by only 1 dB. Might be the lambskin leather of my Ori's not pushing that region as much as the pleather HM5's... or just personal preference. In either case, this EQ does make the sound slightly more natural and enjoyable to my ears. I encourage those who have the Ori pads to give DW75's EQ a try!

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #13,125 of 14,386
@DW75 , I'm running a slightly modified version of your EQ with my Ori pads, and I must say I like very much what I'm hearing! The only difference is instead of reducing 500Hz by 3.5 dB, I reduce that band by only 1 dB. Might be the lambskin leather of my Ori's not pushing that region as much as the pleather HM5's... or just personal preference. In either case, this EQ does make the sound slightly more natural and enjoyable to my ears. I encourage those who have the Ori pads to give DW75's EQ a try!

Getting my Ori pads on Saturday so will definitely give this a try and report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back