Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Oct 10, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #13,096 of 14,386
3oclock on a Magni 3? That's got to be
100 db! Lol

Yeah despite being low impedance they just don't sound loud to me. I have some high efficiency V Modas which sit at 11 on low gain. I know a lot of people say these don't need a lot of power and at low volume they don't, they still sound great. But still high power I've noticed IME that they need considerable juice. 80db is my listening levels.

Oct 10, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #13,097 of 14,386
That's interesting as I have a Jot and also have the HE 400i and I like you switch to high gain and I'm probably at noon. My normal listening level is 85db and up to 90 if I really want to rock out for a bit.
It's just interesting that our Pot levels are so different while coupling that with the db level.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #13,098 of 14,386
Different input levels can and will make a big difference as to where the volume control is set for any given power out level.
This is why I am amused when people agonize over where a volume knob is on the scale. It is relative to a host of other factors... going as far back as the level that the music was mastered at and/or level at which the files were transcoded.

I have noticed that I set the volume at a higher setting for the HE 400i and the 560 than with the HD 600 or HD650. I have always written that off to the significant difference in sensitivity between the Senns and Hifiman phones. This more than makes up for the fact that any amp will put out much less power into the 300 ohm cans. The real key would be to measure the actually power required to reach a given SPL. All in all I don't think the 400i is harder to drive than most other headphones. I just think that they can absorb considerably more power before they distort.

Oct 10, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #13,100 of 14,386
Different input levels can and will make a big difference as to where the volume control is set for any given power out level.
This is why I am amused when people agonize over where a volume knob is on the scale. It is relative to a host of other factors... going as far back as the level that the music was mastered at and/or level at which the files were transcoded.

I have noticed that I set the volume at a higher setting for the HE 400i and the 560 than with the HD 600 or HD650. I have always written that off to the significant difference in sensitivity between the Senns and Hifiman phones. This more than makes up for the fact that any amp will put out much less power into the 300 ohm cans. The real key would be to measure the actually power required to reach a given SPL. All in all I don't think the 400i is harder to drive than most other headphones. I just think that they can absorb considerably more power before they distort.

I was just commenting on having VERY similar amps, same headphone and I believe he stated he was using a Mimby which I also have in my chain. I guess that's where I'm confused a bit. In all reality, our DB levels should be similar where the POT is positioned. I'm lernin bro.
On another note, I couldn't care less where someone has their POT positioned at or what levels they listen to, I just find it interesting there's that big of a swing.

Oct 10, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #13,101 of 14,386
I get it. But I often point out that pot position is so dependent on other things that it often doesn't mean much unless all of the parameters from the recording level to headphones is known.
This includes even cables and especially any digital gain settings used in the DAC driver or playback software. Changing the digital volume control in Foobar by 30% can mean that an addition of 45 degrees of increase on the volume control on any of several different amps that I have is required to regain the original output level.
@koover
I was not making fun of anyone... I just throw this thought out from time to time. Please don't take it personally!

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #13,102 of 14,386
My question to all of the owners of Schiit amps is how do you even know what the position of the volume knob is when its so hard to see, LOL :ksc75smile:. I've used a paint pen to mark the slot/dot to make it more visible but this is so I know that the volume pot is turned down when plugging or un-plugging a headphone, mostly for the HE560 since its one of the most inefficient headphones that i have, plugged in the HE400i without checking to see if i turned down the volume and got a shock since it was so loud.

Oct 10, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #13,103 of 14,386
When I had my Magni 2 I basically just bought a new knob for it and used the set screw. The problem back then was the pot shaft is D shaped so it's a bit harder to find volume knobs that will fit it. I wish Schitt had decided to go with a more standard set screw design like the O2 did because then at least you could replace it easily if need be or just added a black dot on the damn thing.

Here's the pic of the volume knob:
uN33W
uN33W
https://imgur.com/a/uN33W

I was just commenting on having VERY similar amps, same headphone and I believe he stated he was using a Mimby which I also have in my chain. I guess that's where I'm confused a bit. In all reality, our DB levels should be similar where the POT is positioned. I'm lernin bro.
On another note, I couldn't care less where someone has their POT positioned at or what levels they listen to, I just find it interesting there's that big of a swing.

I'm actually use an Aune T1 so it's actually hard to tell if the excess warmth is coming from the tubes. I had a Modi that I sold so I'm waiting on getting a Mimby. That being said, I believe the M3 rolls off the treble more which helps with these cans since with the stock Magni 2 - they were sibilant. I don't know what the output voltage is but decibels are logarithmic and it takes a 10x increase to notice a difference in volume so I'm pretty sure even with the beefier power of the amp, it won't actually change the volume by much. Wasn't really expecting it to, tbh.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #13,104 of 14,386
For every person saying they like a particular thing about these headphones, there is someone else saying they don't like it at all.

I find these headphones with the Focus Pads (stock pads) to be overly bright, better with the Focus PadsA. Other people say the opposite. I think there is sufficient bass, others say these headphones are bass-shy. I think the soundstage seems collapsed, while others think it's wonderful. And on and on...

Add in about 10 different kinds of pads, lots of cable options, and other miscellaneous mods, a plethora of amp choices, and people with different hearing abilities/ear canals/musical preferences, and I can't even begin to find a consensus about anything concerning these headphones.

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #13,105 of 14,386
I have them on the Magni 3 as well, Low Gain, 3-4 o'clock position. They sound really good to me and don't really need to pad roll as of yet. Maybe replace the stock cable with something straight plug but that's about it, don't want to break the bank there either

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #13,106 of 14,386
I get it. But I often point out that pot position is so dependent on other things that it often doesn't mean much unless all of the parameters from the recording level to headphones is known.
This includes even cables and especially any digital gain settings used in the DAC driver or playback software. Changing the digital volume control in Foobar by 30% can mean that an addition of 45 degrees of increase on the volume control on any of several different amps that I have is required to regain the original output level.
@koover
I was not making fun of anyone... I just throw this thought out from time to time. Please don't take it personally!

No worries man. I didn't take it personal at all. It's all good and so am I.

Oct 10, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #13,107 of 14,386
I wouldn't go looking for pads until you actually listen to the HE-4XX and see if there are any small issues in the sound signature that you would like changed which is where changing the pads would come in to play. If you don't like the stock sound then I would sell them and move on since changing pads can only do so much

Thanks, I'll wait then! :)

Oct 11, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #13,108 of 14,386
Hi,

After my iem Shure 535 ltd, I went to the he-400i and even though bass and treble is awesome for me, mids are a little weird for me (less upfront than 535s of course). Vocals are maybe a little unnatural and less present than I would like.

I have the chord mojo, so maybe he-560 is not a good choice for me.
Do you guys know another budget headphone with gold vocals but keeping the bass and treble of my 400i? Maybe HD650 in spite of losing the highs?

Regards

Oct 11, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #13,110 of 14,386
Hi,

After my iem Shure 535 ltd, I went to the he-400i and even though bass and treble is awesome for me, mids are a little weird for me (less upfront than 535s of course). Vocals are maybe a little unnatural and less present than I would like.

I have the chord mojo, so maybe he-560 is not a good choice for me.
Do you guys know another budget headphone with gold vocals but keeping the bass and treble of my 400i? Maybe HD650 in spite of losing the highs?

Regards
The Mojo + HE560 was not a good sounding pairing the 2 times I tried it, but if you use the Mojo as just a DAC and use a Liquid Carbon or Teac HA-501 then its a really nice setup. The Mojo + HD650 is not bad and it will have better mids than the HE400i but it might sound a bit too warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back