Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Aug 7, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #12,616 of 14,386
I have a pair of HE-400i's coming tomorrow and had a quick question about the 2.5mm plugs used in the newer version. The pictures all show that the plugs are stereo, are they interchangeable? I was wondering because I will probably DIY a cable or two, and was wonder if I need to be worried about matching the tip/collar of the plug to the L/R jack of the headphone; or are pins inside the jack jumped to allow the plugs to be swapped?

I am pretty excited about getting the 400i's.

Thanks in advance!

Aug 8, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #12,617 of 14,386
I am pretty sure that they just use the same two contacts on both sides. Meaning they are interchangeable. I have reversed sides on mine...accidently and only noticed it when images were reversed. There have been discussions in several places (multiple headphone threads that for headphones that use these plugs) where people have said that the TRS plugs are simply used because those are more easily sourced and cheaper. TS (mono) connectors also work. If you have a VOM you can verify this easily.

Aug 8, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #12,618 of 14,386
I am pretty sure that they just use the same two contacts on both sides. Meaning they are interchangeable. I have reversed sides on mine...accidently and only noticed it when images were reversed. There have been discussions in several places (multiple headphone threads that for headphones that use these plugs) where people have said that the TRS plugs are simply used because those are more easily sourced and cheaper. TS (mono) connectors also work. If you have a VOM you can verify this easily.

Thank you for the response.

I thought I either read or saw that in a review, but have read/watched so many the last few weeks I could not be sure.

I will say that sourcing low profile 2.5 male TRS is challenging as well I could only find them at Redco.

Aug 8, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #12,619 of 14,386

I thought I either read or saw that in a review, but have read/watched so many the last few weeks I could not be sure.

I will say that sourcing low profile 2.5 male TRS is challenging as well I could only find them at Redco.

2.5mm jacks are easy to find, finding ones that are well built is a little harder

Aug 8, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #12,620 of 14,386

I had the best luck on going to the china options like aliexpress. Eidolic has some nice 2.5 TS connectors if you don't mine paying $20 a piece for them.

Aug 8, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #12,621 of 14,386
I had the best luck on going to the china options like aliexpress. Eidolic has some nice 2.5 TS connectors if you don't mine paying $20 a piece for them.

Thanks, yeah I have never bought anything on aliexpress, so I never think to look there. I ordered something from Ebay for the first time in years, a few weeks ago.

I now have my 400i and so far they sound great, can't wait to spend some time with them.

Aug 10, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #12,623 of 14,386
Anyone know if MrSpeakers ether flow pads are compatible with the 400i? And if so, how they change the sound compared with stock focus pads.
They will fit but might be a little loose since they are about 3-5mm larger than the Focus or Focus-A pads.

Can't say how they will affect the sound and I haven't seen anyone use Ether pads on a Hifiman headphone yet so I think you might be the first.

Aug 12, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #12,625 of 14,386
Does anyone have any recommendations for pads to replace the stock ones? It's time for them to be replaced and I want to see if there's anything better than the stock pads for a reasonable price
when you say better what specifically are you asking for? better bass? better imaging? better comfort? While I haven't tried the newer round pads from Brainwavz: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._title_gw_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2XYIDHW2C10EQ, these would seem to be the cheapest that look like they will fit quite well. The Focus and Focus-A pads are cheaper than most of the alternative pads from ZMF, Dekoni and MrSpeakers

Aug 12, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #12,626 of 14,386
when you say better what specifically are you asking for? better bass? better imaging? better comfort? While I haven't tried the newer round pads from Brainwavz: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._title_gw_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2XYIDHW2C10EQ, these would seem to be the cheapest that look like they will fit quite well. The Focus and Focus-A pads are cheaper than most of the alternative pads from ZMF, Dekoni and MrSpeakers

I use those in velour on my HE400i after trying a bunch of different pads. No big changes in sound but more comfortable than the stock ones.

Aug 12, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #12,627 of 14,386
I use those in velour on my HE400i after trying a bunch of different pads. No big changes in sound but more comfortable than the stock ones.
Good to know. Most comfortable to me were the spare pads from my SRH-1840 but being oval shaped they had issues with sealing at times and they recessed the treble from memory. The Dekoni TH900 sheep skin pads are quite comfortable but do get how after an hour or so. Most seem to want pads that bring up the bass and to me the best way is to use attenuation rings with the stock Focus pads, got the idea from the THX00 thread, free and easy to do.

Aug 12, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #12,628 of 14,386
Have just bought a psir of these cand . Delivered them to a friend in the states whos about to get back to my country..
He opened them to have a listen and plugged them into his phone , s7i think, to my heart shattering realization that he can hear only on one side (not sure which one of them due to the fact that he is not that available).
He did made sure to plug the cable firmly to the headphone jack, and told me that his headphones work fine with his phone.
What could possibly be the issue ?
Thanks alot

Aug 12, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #12,629 of 14,386
I have had my He400i's for a few days now and they sound awesome, but it looks like I am going to have to return them. The left side 2.5mm jack is messed up and will not seat the plug all the way and it pops out all the time. The right side "clicks" in really securely. Not sure what the deal is. The loose 2.5 Redco replacement plugs actually shoot out if you try and plug them in, like the internal pin that clips to the tip is not aligned.

I am chatting with Amazon right now about getting a return processed.

Aug 12, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #12,630 of 14,386
Have just bought a psir of these cand . Delivered them to a friend in the states whos about to get back to my country..
He opened them to have a listen and plugged them into his phone , s7i think, to my heart shattering realization that he can hear only on one side (not sure which one of them due to the fact that he is not that available).
He did made sure to plug the cable firmly to the headphone jack, and told me that his headphones work fine with his phone.
What could possibly be the issue ?
Thanks alot

He plugged the cable in firmly on the 3.5mm jack, but what about the 2.5mm connectors to the earcups? They can be a little finnicky and unplugging them and reseating them could bring the missing channel back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back