Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Aug 2, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #12,586 of 14,386
Looking at the photos of the HE4XX, the headband looks remarkably similar to the original HE400, not at all like the HE400i. On that basis would it be reasonable to assume they are based on the 400 ? Or, would MassDrop/HiFiMan really change the headband in this way ?
If you look at the specs, its like the HE400i, only the headband look like the old HE400, I also think the cups are plastic and not metal like the HE400 since they are a bit lighter also.

Aug 2, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #12,587 of 14,386
If you look at the specs, its like the HE400i, only the headband look like the old HE400, I also think the cups are plastic and not metal like the HE400 since they are a bit lighter also.

Yes, you're right ... Impedance & sensitivity. Is the '400i' amp picky in your experience ?

Aug 2, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #12,588 of 14,386
It makes sense that they take the cheap, sort of crappier (to me anyway) 400 headband and put 400i drivers and pads on it to meet the (apparently) $170 threshold Massdrop wanted for this product.

I own a 400i already but I am tempted to try this out just to add to the collection. At $169, if it's actually a 400i under there, that's a great price just for a backup can...:D

Aug 2, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #12,589 of 14,386
Yes, you're right ... Impedance & sensitivity. Is the '400i' amp picky in your experience ?
Not as amp picky like the HE560 or HD800, but I would think that most would prefer a amp slightly on the warmer side of neutral, I use either headphone output of Teac UD-301, Ember or Lyr2, all slightly on the warmer side of neutral. At the $170 price its hard to pass it up, but if they give a ship date of some time next year I think I might just pass on them

Aug 2, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #12,590 of 14,386
Th
Not as amp picky like the HE560 or HD800, but I would think that most would prefer a amp slightly on the warmer side of neutral, I use either headphone output of Teac UD-301, Ember or Lyr2, all slightly on the warmer side of neutral. At the $170 price its hard to pass it up, but if they give a ship date of some time next year I think I might just pass on them

Mmm... well I still have a LYR2 in my office set-up and the 4XX will almost certainly be an improvement over the HD-559 that I'm using there ... so, I might give them a go at that price (point taken @illram). Not in a hurry so can wait. I also ordered the HD-6XX as a backup, which aren't being delivered till December, so you may be right about timescales.

Thank-you @DavidA ... very helpful, as ever.

Aug 2, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #12,591 of 14,386
It makes sense that they take the cheap, sort of crappier (to me anyway) 400 headband and put 400i drivers and pads on it to meet the (apparently) $170 threshold Massdrop wanted for this product.

I own a 400i already but I am tempted to try this out just to add to the collection. At $169, if it's actually a 400i under there, that's a great price just for a backup can...:D
it look like it is 400s not 400 or 400i ,, i think i will pass to try other new planers that are coming later from other company's ..

Aug 2, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #12,593 of 14,386
There are some graphs and 4 pages of discussions on another audio forums site. It is linked in the Massdrop discussion section for these.

Aug 2, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #12,594 of 14,386
My 560's don't have the smc connectors there the 2.5mm jack my 500's had the other connector never liked that. Thanks for the info..

Aug 2, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #12,595 of 14,386
There are some graphs and 4 pages of discussions on another audio forums site. It is linked in the Massdrop discussion section for these.
Thank you. Please provide a link.

Aug 2, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #12,596 of 14,386
Just check the Massdrop discussions for these maybe a page down.
I hesitated to do this because I thought I read that linking to this site was not appreciated around here... so I won't. But a minute or two of your time will get you there.

Aug 3, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #12,597 of 14,386
Just check the Massdrop discussions for these maybe a page down.
I hesitated to do this because I thought I read that linking to this site was not appreciated around here... so I won't. But a minute or two of your time will get you there.
Yeah I can't speak for that particular site, but I was once warned for linking to another site... But never the less, the other thread seemed to imply that they were likely 400i drivers, but massdrop'd modified. Tyll from innerfidelity also has an article up, and his comments were very positive. Strangely, he had the 400s in his hall of fame, but not the 400i... I was never able to find exactly why that is, as I could not find his comments/review of the 400i. But since he seemed to really like the massdrop version, I'm thinking he'd like the 400i and simply did not have a pair to review or whatever, as my findings were that the 400i was basically better than the 400s. His recommendation for the massdrop version was basically a great buy at 169$.

And from the 4th page with the measurements, is it just me or the massdrop seemed to lower a bit the mids & treble, and increase the bass? If these measurements are accurate, that could very well be a nice improvement over the 400i. Not sure I'd prefer the older headband though... And for me, being in canada & owning the 400i, I'll likely not order a pair, but had I not bought 400i's, I'd jump on that offer! Likely an even better deal than their Sennheiser 6xx!

Oh, to find the forum page with the measurements, go to mass drop page, hit discussion, scroll down and search for 'http', 1st link.

Aug 3, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #12,599 of 14,386
Yeah I can't speak for that particular site, but I was once warned for linking to another site... But never the less, the other thread seemed to imply that they were likely 400i drivers, but massdrop'd modified. Tyll from innerfidelity also has an article up, and his comments were very positive. Strangely, he had the 400s in his hall of fame, but not the 400i... I was never able to find exactly why that is, as I could not find his comments/review of the 400i. But since he seemed to really like the massdrop version, I'm thinking he'd like the 400i and simply did not have a pair to review or whatever, as my findings were that the 400i was basically better than the 400s. His recommendation for the massdrop version was basically a great buy at 169$.

And from the 4th page with the measurements, is it just me or the massdrop seemed to lower a bit the mids & treble, and increase the bass? If these measurements are accurate, that could very well be a nice improvement over the 400i. Not sure I'd prefer the older headband though... And for me, being in canada & owning the 400i, I'll likely not order a pair, but had I not bought 400i's, I'd jump on that offer! Likely an even better deal than their Sennheiser 6xx!

Oh, to find the forum page with the measurements, go to mass drop page, hit discussion, scroll down and search for 'http', 1st link.
I have been thinking about it, but I still have the 400, 400i and 560. They sound interesting though. I also am not a big fan of waiting until mid December to get them. If they are a success and they bring them back, maybe they will bring the delivery time for the next batch in a bit. Besides I would like to hear more impressions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back