Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Aug 4, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #12,601 of 14,386
FWIW, to me it looks like the published sensitivity, impedance and weight are unlike the 400S but are identical to the 400i...

Yeah but from actual measurements those specs doesn't seem to be correct :wink:

Aug 4, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #12,602 of 14,386
I purchased a he400i as open box / never used and it arrived with the box ripped apart and the headphones clearly used but I tried them and theyre so good that Ive decided I might just keep them and have had them for over a week now.

Excellent headphones even for the original price. Comparing them to hd600, they dont have the super forward mids but are still intimate enough. I felt like I was missing the detail of the performance so I kept going back to the he400i. Classical. Vivaldi for egs. Speedy, full string passages translate beautifully through these headphones.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #12,603 of 14,386
Just posting so that I can follow this thread :.)
Read a lot of posts and I am one of the few who likes the (short) stock cable. Its perfect for my in-house "mobile" use.

Aug 4, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #12,604 of 14,386
Just posting so that I can follow this thread :.)
Read a lot of posts and I am one of the few who likes the (short) stock cable. Its perfect for my in-house "mobile" use.
Welcome to the thread. The stock cable was either too long for portable use and too short for home use for me, you might be the ideal that Hifiman figured the length for.

Aug 4, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #12,605 of 14,386
Welcome to the thread. The stock cable was either too long for portable use and too short for home use for me, you might be the ideal that Hifiman figured the length for.

Thank you.
And I do understand why this cable is limited in its use.

Aug 4, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #12,606 of 14,386
FWIW, to me it looks like the published sensitivity, impedance and weight are unlike the 400S but are identical to the 400i...
yep i saw that but the graph is more close to the 400s ,,

check it your self in https://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-measurements

although Tyll Hertsens stated in this post that its closer to the 400i which i think he is wrong.

either ways you are getting a 400 variant for a very very good price ..

Aug 6, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #12,610 of 14,386
whats the effect on the sound if I change the stock cable with ofc with impedance less than 1?

why the is impedance of the stock cable at 30+ohms is this intentional? its copper with a silver coat right?
30+ohms is quite high, I checked my cable and its 1.2 and all my other cables are within 0.9 - 1.2. There might be something wrong with your cable.
As for what happens when the cable has such a high resistance I'm not sure but I would think it affects the damping factor making the sound a bit warmer but possibly making it muddy in the process.

Aug 6, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #12,611 of 14,386
At very least it will reduce the output significantly. I wonder if the OP measured the cable or misread something somewhere??

Aug 7, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #12,613 of 14,386
30+ohms is quite high, I checked my cable and its 1.2 and all my other cables are within 0.9 - 1.2. There might be something wrong with your cable.
As for what happens when the cable has such a high resistance I'm not sure but I would think it affects the damping factor making the sound a bit warmer but possibly making it muddy in the process.

yeah my bad, I cleaned the cable connectors due to some oily substance that stuck on the end and re-measured the cable (I thinks its the grease from the cup holder that i accidentally touched somehow), its 0.6 now. Anyway a simple good quality ofc cable wont change anything compared to this silvercoated stock one right? I like the quality as its built like a tank but its too hard and kinda short.

Aug 7, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #12,614 of 14,386
yeah my bad, I cleaned the cable connectors due to some oily substance that stuck on the end and re-measured the cable (I thinks its the grease from the cup holder that i accidentally touched somehow), its 0.6 now. Anyway a simple good quality ofc cable wont change anything compared to this silvercoated stock one right? I like the quality as its built like a tank but its too hard and kinda short.
Good to hear it was a simple problem. I've never noticed any change with different cables for headphones but this is a touchy subject for some. By all means change the cable if there are physical reason such as too short or too long and I would suggest getting some Deoxit to use on the jacks to help prevent getting a bad connection.

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #12,615 of 14,386
I already posted this before several pages back. This is to anyone who upgraded the pads to the Brainwavz HM5 Angled Memory Foam Pleather pads like I ended up doing. I strongly suggest giving my EQ a try with these pads. It completely destroys the sound of the stock headphone.

200Hz: - 0.5
250Hz: - 0.5
400Hz: - 1.0
500Hz: - 3.5
650Hz: - 1.0
800Hz: - 1.0
1kHz: - 1.5
10kHz: - 0.5

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back