Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Feb 18, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #11,686 of 14,386
  Should I get the He400i, Oppo PM3 or TH-500RP if I want a very precise headphone with fast music?

I have the HE400i and TH-500RP.  Of those two get the HE400i...

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #11,688 of 14,386
  Should I get the He400i, Oppo PM3 or TH-500RP if I want a very precise headphone with fast music?

As it happens, I have all three. For fast music the HE-400i may be your best bet followed closely by the Oppo and Fostex, but the build quality of PM3 and Th-500RP are worlds better than the HE-400i. The build quality of a headphone is not irrelevant or insignificant consideration when choosing a headphone that costs hundreds of dollars. At $250.00 the HE-400i is a good buy but if prices return to their former level of $450.00 to $500.00 I would probably take the Oppo as a closed option or even the Fostex if it is still available at around $300.00. They're all good headphones from the perspective of sound, but I am just a little skeptical of the construction quality and materials of the HiFiMan.

Feb 18, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #11,691 of 14,386
  As it happens, I have all three. For fast music the HE-400i may be your best bet followed closely by the Oppo and Fostex, but the build quality of PM3 and Th-500RP are worlds better than the HE-400i. The build quality of a headphone is not irrelevant or insignificant consideration when choosing a headphone that costs hundreds of dollars. At $250.00 the HE-400i is a good buy but if prices return to their former level of $450.00 to $500.00 I would probably take the Oppo as a closed option or even the Fostex if it is still available at around $300.00. They're all good headphones from the perspective of sound, but I am just a little skeptical of the construction quality and materials of the HiFiMan.

I'm gonna use them at home, they will never leave my room probably. Am I gonna be safe? Or are they prone to some sort of self-destruction
biggrin.gif
?

I'm serious though, I own different hps and I've never broke one but I'm kinda scared when I read about the construction quality of these...

Feb 18, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #11,692 of 14,386

I agree 100%.  The Fostex and Oppo's seem to be better quality of materials and construction than any of my Hifiman cans...

Feb 18, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #11,693 of 14,386
Is Fiio K5 powerful enough for HE400i and especially DT990?

Sent from OnePlus 3T

From everything I've researched ... Yes.

Why not opt out for something better? There are lots of other choices around the same price range.

Actually I got a very cheap E17K ($60) and I wanted to add a decent amp for my he400i n dt990 (250 ohms)
E17K can push both close to its maximum volume (50-60) and still both sound decent enough. I do have schiit magni 2 also though but I busted it's AC adaptor n can't find its exact power requirements locally and buying n shipping from schiit is costing me $65 just for a replacement adaptor. So was considering instead of buying an adaptor, why not spend more n get a new amp n complete my Fiio stack.

Sent from OnePlus 3T

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #11,694 of 14,386
Actually I got a very cheap E17K ($60) and I wanted to add a decent amp for my he400i n dt990 (250 ohms)
E17K can push both close to its maximum volume (50-60) and still both sound decent enough. I do have schiit magni 2 also though but I busted it's AC adaptor n can't find its exact power requirements locally and buying n shipping from schiit is costing me $65 just for a replacement adaptor. So was considering instead of buying an adaptor, why not spend more n get a new amp n complete my Fiio stack.

Sent from OnePlus 3T

It's 16v 500ma ... why do you have to order from Schiit?

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #11,695 of 14,386

@Nachash I only have the PM-3 and the 400i, but I absolutely agree with this regarding these two headphones. I will also add that I feel they complement each other wonderfully, and if I could only keep two of my current stable of headphones, it would be those two. Together, they cover all the bases. Buy both, if you can.

Also, the Oppo need a lot less amp, so the choice could depend on your current rig.

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #11,697 of 14,386

I'm gonna use them at home, they will never leave my room probably. Am I gonna be safe? Or are they prone to some sort of self-destruction
biggrin.gif
?

I'm serious though, I own different hps and I've never broke one but I'm kinda scared when I read about the construction quality of these...

No, the he400i is constructed just fine. It's not prone to any kind of self destruction and you are perfectly safe purchasing them.

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #11,698 of 14,386
  What amp are you guys running?

Can you let me know your experiences with multiple setups?

I'm trying to decide on a new DAC/AMP combo, maybe Lyr or Darkvoice ...

I use the Violectric HP v90, a very neutral, very clean desktop amp and then EQ about +6 decibels at 125hz and lower easing down to flat at 200hz. The wonderful imaging and channel separation of this amp is greatly rewarded by the 400i. I do find that I need the EQ, however, to avoid the headphones sounding too thin for my taste.

For portable, I use the iBasso P5 Falcon, a slightly warm, somewhat full-bodied amp with its hardware bass boost that kicks up +6 decibels at 100hz (what I am trying to mimic with my EQ). The P5 is a little less detailed and precise, which I do miss. However, the bass boost is more optional with this amp. As often as not, I prefer the unboosted sound to the boost. Even without extra bass, this amp makes the 400i a bit more forgiving and less fatiguing.

I like both options, and I use both options fairly frequently. However, the pairing with the v90, I feel, produces objectively better sound, even if I do miss a bit of bass. I should also add that I have never found the 400i to be peaky or sibilant, which I know is a common complaint. Whether that is a result of my ears, my taste, or my particular headphones, I have less brightness to fix.

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #11,699 of 14,386
  What amp are you guys running?

Can you let me know your experiences with multiple setups?

I'm trying to decide on a new DAC/AMP combo, maybe Lyr or Darkvoice ...

Amps in order of preference: Project Ember, headphone output of UD-301, Lyr2, Sony HT receiver, Asgard2, others of interest that sounded good: Hugo, HA-501, Liquid Carbon, Liquid Glass and MicroZOTL2

DACs: UD-301, Bimby, Bifrost Uber, Modi2uber, AH-01, Modi optical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back