Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Feb 7, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #7,531 of 14,386
Wow crossfeed
eek.gif
 ! It just made my refined parametric EQ redundant. Imaging is so so much better, and the neutral bass gives a speaker like presentation now. High, mids and lows all fit in well now.

Effectively it's imitating angled pads to the max, i.e perpendicular to your face

Feb 7, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #7,532 of 14,386
  I bought a pair of the cheapest hifiman pads, ripped out the Ring, and stuffed it into the HM5 pads.  Given that the ring barely fits inside the HM5 pads (you have to stretch the crap out of the pads), I didn't need glue to create a seal.  I also didn't need glue to make a seal with the earcup of the HP.  The focus pads are compeletely unaltered.

Just ordered one. Thanks for the tip!

Feb 7, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #7,533 of 14,386
  Rather than replacing the ear pads, is it possible to tame the treble with EQ? This is a very noob question, but is there a free EQ plug-in for Audirvana/apple audio components that lets me enter the reduction in DB manually?

I found these settings on another audio forum to tame the 400i's treble. But the app's built-in EQ doesn't let me alter things exactly at the 3.5kHz range. Here's the settings:

Thanks for any help. 

Yes, a well thought out EQ cut here and there should achieve the same effect. Ideally you would use a parametric EQ, but seeing as how the 400is are fairly well behaved modest adjustments should work quite well.

Feb 7, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #7,534 of 14,386
  Wow crossfeed
eek.gif
 ! It just made my refined parametric EQ redundant. Imaging is so so much better, and the neutral bass gives a speaker like presentation now. High, mids and lows all fit in well now.

Effectively it's imitating angled pads to the max, i.e perpendicular to your face

Do you have some examples of tracks that sounded better?  I've been playing with the xfeed on the m920.  So far, I haven't found anything it makes much of a difference on.

Feb 7, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #7,535 of 14,386
I put in an order with Venus Audio on eBay for a 10 foot balanced XLR cable with the new 2.5mm termination. I am extremely excited to see how well the HE-400i does in a completely balanced configuration. I will be using the Mjolnir 2 and Gumby to test out the balanced capabilities. I will most definitely get back to this thread on how it sounds once I receive the cable and get some listening time on it. Can't wait to see how it compares with the LCD-2s! 

Feb 7, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #7,536 of 14,386
Did a head to head comparison for a couple of hours yesterday with the 400i and HEX. I went in thinking I'd probably end up buying the HEX. But the softness just got me and I knew I'd end up missing the 400i's aggressive sound. I liked the HEX a lot, don't get me wrong. But I came away thinking it was more a different flavor than an upgrade, to me. Mostly trading smoothness and soundstage in the HEX for crispness and tight transients in the 400i.

In some ways I'm relieved at feeling no need to drop $1500 on an upgrade. In some ways I'm kind of disappointed to again not have a clear upgrade path.

Feb 7, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #7,537 of 14,386
Did a head to head comparison for a couple of hours yesterday with the 400i and HEX. I went in thinking I'd probably end up buying the HEX. But the softness just got me and I knew I'd end up missing the 400i's aggressive sound. I liked the HEX a lot, don't get me wrong. But I came away thinking it was more a different flavor than an upgrade, to me. Mostly trading smoothness and soundstage in the HEX for crispness and tight transients in the 400i.

In some ways I'm relieved at feeling no need to drop $1500 on an upgrade. In some ways I'm kind of disappointed to again not have a clear upgrade path.

Mid-fi purgatory at its best haha. There is no escape from such a land due to the almighty law of diminishing returns!

Feb 7, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #7,538 of 14,386
Mid-fi purgatory at its best haha. There is no escape from such a land due to the almighty law of diminishing returns!

Yeah, I like the basic 400i sound signature, but there isn't an easy to drive flagship version of it. Though I think typically mid-fi purgatory is when people keep alternating mid-fi cans. I'm pretty settled on these as far as mid-fi goes. Just can't find a flagship that puts it all together except the SR009. But I'm not an at home listener enough to justify that cash outlay for something I'd only really get to listen to for an hour or two per week.

Feb 7, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #7,539 of 14,386

I wouldn't say HE400 are that aggressive, but there is something about them that I really like, I already asked in the HEX topic how the sound compares and it was just soft. I don't know how soft sounds like, but I can imagine that I will not like it since I prefer the more energetic signature Smooth is alright as long as real instruments sound right. Dynamic, detailed and fast right? The only thing really about 400i's...I love that they will play anything and make it sound good, but sometimes I do wish the bass would have not body, but more force behind it at times and then something a little bit so instruments would just stand out that little bit more. I do achieve this with a bit of EQ, but only on few song that require that extra kick. I guess the EQ makes them bit more brighter as well, it sounds less warm, not to say it sounds warm, just comparatively.

Has anyone paired 400i's with Oppo HA-1? Cause amp is my next upgrade in any case. And it will be HA-1 no matter what, I just love the display.
I'm kinda done with mid-fi as well. 400i it will be. Comfort - check, Sound - check, Plays anything while sounding good no matter what it is - check...Can it be better? Yup...

Also I need new pads...

Feb 7, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #7,540 of 14,386

Has anyone paired 400i's with Oppo HA-1? 

Yup.  I don't think you'll have any complaints, but I might suggest you get an XLR-terminated cable.  Using the unbalanced jack, my HA-1 runs out of steam on low gain.  I have to turn it well past 3 o'clock to get to normal listening level, and I don't listen very loud.  The balanced jack has more power.

Now, I can't tell you how it sounds, since I haven't used the balanced jack on my mine.  I don't have a balanced cable and I'm kinda torn on whether to get one now that I have the m920, since I might sell the HA-1.

Feb 7, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #7,541 of 14,386

Yup.  I don't think you'll have any complaints, but I might suggest you get an XLR-terminated cable.  Using the unbalanced jack, my HA-1 runs out of steam on low gain.  I have to turn it well past 3 o'clock to get to normal listening level, and I don't listen very loud.  The balanced jack has more power.

Now, I can't tell you how it sounds, since I haven't used the balanced jack on my mine.  I don't have a balanced cable and I'm kinda torn on whether to get one now that I have the m920, since I might sell the HA-1.

I see, Might be and issue, not a problem getting a cable trough.

Feb 7, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #7,542 of 14,386

I see, Might be and issue, not a problem getting a cable trough.

One could also just switch to high gain, of course.  But that comes with the usual compromises.

Feb 7, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #7,543 of 14,386

Do you have some examples of tracks that sounded better?  I've been playing with the xfeed on the m920.  So far, I haven't found anything it makes much of a difference on.

I used a plugin for winamp called 'bauer stereophonic-to-binaural dsp' with 15.0db and 600Hz settings.
Along with winamp I use maiko wasapi, fidelizer pro and process lasso.

My friend said he didn't hear much difference with his sabre es9018, but I have a R2R DAC.

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #7,544 of 14,386
  I used a plugin for winamp called 'bauer stereophonic-to-binaural dsp' with 15.0db and 600Hz settings.
Along with winamp I use maiko wasapi, fidelizer pro and process lasso.

My friend said he didn't hear much difference with his sabre es9018, but I have a R2R DAC.

Ah.  Thanks.

I plan to try mine with some binaural recordings and see if there's a more noticeable difference. Just haven't gotten there, yet

Feb 7, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #7,545 of 14,386

I thought you were particularly impressed with how the 400i sounded balanced. (Meet impressions listening on the Liquid Carbon if I remember correctly?) I was honestly trying to ignore all your commentary on the 400i balanced because I don't need that temptation. But if so inclined, wouldn't chain upgrades be be a viable upgrade path at this point, rather than the headphones? Also...when you had the chance did you happen to run the m9XX->LC->balanced on 400i? If so, thoughts? I guess I can't help but to at least ask. 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back