Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Feb 7, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #7,546 of 14,386
  Also...when you had the chance did you happen to run the m9XX->LC->balanced on 400i? If so, thoughts? I guess I can't help but to at least ask. 
rolleyes.gif

You're going to get yourself in trouble thinking like that.

Feb 7, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #7,547 of 14,386
  You're going to get yourself in trouble thinking like that.

IKR...umm, I'm asking for the good of the populace. Regardless of the reply, I'm confident in my Zen sense of self-control, he said with a subtle waver in his voice.

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #7,548 of 14,386

IKR...umm, I'm asking for the good of the populace. Regardless of the reply, I'm confident in my Zen sense of self-control, he said with a subtle waver in his voice.

You won't be the first man of the people to waiver.

Feb 8, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #7,549 of 14,386
  I put in an order with Venus Audio on eBay for a 10 foot balanced XLR cable with the new 2.5mm termination. I am extremely excited to see how well the HE-400i does in a completely balanced configuration. I will be using the Mjolnir 2 and Gumby to test out the balanced capabilities. I will most definitely get back to this thread on how it sounds once I receive the cable and get some listening time on it. Can't wait to see how it compares with the LCD-2s! 

This is the cable I bought. I'm using it on my Gumby and Liquid Carbon. I like the cable - I like the sound.

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #7,550 of 14,386
I thought you were particularly impressed with how the 400i sounded balanced. (Meet impressions listening on the Liquid Carbon if I remember correctly?) I was honestly trying to ignore all your commentary on the 400i balanced because I don't need that temptation. But if so inclined, wouldn't chain upgrades be be a viable upgrade path at this point, rather than the headphones? Also...when you had the chance did you happen to run the m9XX->LC->balanced on 400i? If so, thoughts? I guess I can't help but to at least ask. :rolleyes:

Yes, I did. However I'm not sure I want to deal with constantly changing cables out and wearing those jacks out. One of the main things I like about the HE400i is ability to enjoy it straight out of my iPhone around the house. Also Liquid Carbons aren't particularly easy to find these days for reasonable prices, haha. Any time one goes up for under $599 on here they're snapped up in seconds. Didn't hear the LC out of the m9XX. It was a GuMBy in the DAC section. But yes, I think a good balanced amp is maybe my next upgrade, especially after I've decided the HEX isn't where I want to go next (and again, I liked it, but just don't think it's an endgame flagship for me). Though that probably then also means several hundred more dollars getting a new HE400i balanced cable and having the THX00 recabled to be able to take a balanced cable as well.

Feb 8, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #7,551 of 14,386

Has anyone paired 400i's with Oppo HA-1? Cause amp is my next upgrade in any case. And it will be HA-1 no matter what, I just love the display.
I'm kinda done with mid-fi as well. 400i it will be. Comfort - check, Sound - check, Plays anything while sounding good no matter what it is - check...Can it be better? Yup...

Also I need new pads...

Yup.  I don't think you'll have any complaints, but I might suggest you get an XLR-terminated cable.  Using the unbalanced jack, my HA-1 runs out of steam on low gain.  I have to turn it well past 3 o'clock to get to normal listening level, and I don't listen very loud.  The balanced jack has more power.

I´ve heard HA-1 and HE-400i pairing and it sounded great even through the unbalanced jack. I don´t remember if it was low, normal or high gain but I did not need to push the volume knob past 12 o´clock.
I can´t imagine HA-1 would not be sufficient to drive HE-400i through unbalanced connection. Don´t know, maybe normal or high gain is needed, but really even through RCA it is able to deliver 500mW into 32 ohm headphone. Should be more than enough for moderately sensitive HE-400i.

Feb 8, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #7,552 of 14,386
Yes, I did. However I'm not sure I want to deal with constantly changing cables out and wearing those jacks out. One of the main things I like about the HE400i is ability to enjoy it straight out of my iPhone around the house. Also Liquid Carbons aren't particularly easy to find these days for reasonable prices, haha. Any time one goes up for under $599 on here they're snapped up in seconds. Didn't hear the LC out of the m9XX. It was a GuMBy in the DAC section. But yes, I think a good balanced amp is maybe my next upgrade, especially after I've decided the HEX isn't where I want to go next (and again, I liked it, but just don't think it's an endgame flagship for me). Though that probably then also means several hundred more dollars getting a new HE400i balanced cable and having the THX00 recabled to be able to take a balanced cable as well.

You could build your own cables, all the tools needed to build cables is not very expensive and you can pick and chose the connectors and cables that you want to use to tailor them to each headphone.  Also, buying cable/connectors in bulk quantities makes it much cheaper in the long run.

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #7,553 of 14,386
You could build your own cables, all the tools needed to build cables is not very expensive and you can pick and chose the connectors and cables that you want to use to tailor them to each headphone.  Also, buying cable/connectors in bulk quantities makes it much cheaper in the long run.

THX00 would be more complicated than that. Also just don't have the time to get into DIYing.

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #7,554 of 14,386

Surprisingly, I sympathize on the cable-change phobia. Oh, it's a given that anything more will only cry out for more money. Fortunately, I really was only asking out of curiosity. You will likely take that leap long before I do and of course others, myself included, will cheer you along, while learning from your example
biggrin.gif
. No rush though. I appreciate the reply.

You won't be the first man of the people to waiver.

Sonic Defender indeed,
tongue.gif
. I actually thank you for steeling my resolve.

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #7,555 of 14,386
Surprisingly, I sympathize on the cable-change phobia. Oh, it's a given that anything more will only cry out for more money. Fortunately, I really was only asking out of curiosity. You will likely take that leap long before I do and of course others, myself included, will cheer you along, while learning from your example :D . No rush though. I appreciate the reply.

Sonic Defender indeed, :p . I actually thank you for steeling my resolve.

The money phobia isn't really the big deal as much as re-introducing complexity into my setup. A single ended system is always going to be necessary because I use my phone so much. So, having separate cables for separate amps, I'm not sure if that's a step I want to take. Also there's the difficulty of getting a Liquid Carbon in the first place. Right now my rig is quite simple and I like it that way: A work can (THX00) a home can (HE400i) m9XX that goes back and forth with me, IEMs and a set that stays in my car (SRH840) and some other random stuff that I more just have because it's more trouble to sell it that it's worth. All my gear will play through all my amps/players without needing anything but a 3.5mm->1/4" adapter. I really would like to keep it that way. Hence why I was interested in the HEX.

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #7,556 of 14,386

Sonic Defender indeed,
tongue.gif
. I actually thank you for steeling my resolve.

That's what I do mate, it's a calling and a gift.
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #7,557 of 14,386
The money phobia isn't really the big deal as much as re-introducing complexity into my setup. A single ended system is always going to be necessary because I use my phone so much. So, having separate cables for separate amps, I'm not sure if that's a step I want to take. Also there's the difficulty of getting a Liquid Carbon in the first place. Right now my rig is quite simple and I like it that way: A work can (THX00) a home can (HE400i) m9XX that goes back and forth with me, IEMs and a set that stays in my car (SRH840) and some other random stuff that I more just have because it's more trouble to sell it that it's worth. All my gear will play through all my amps/players without needing anything but a 3.5mm->1/4" adapter. I really would like to keep it that way. Hence why I was interested in the HEX.

I can understand the comforts of that simplicity. Again, no rush. Still cheering you on though. Gambatte!

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #7,559 of 14,386

I´ve heard HA-1 and HE-400i pairing and it sounded great even through the unbalanced jack. I don´t remember if it was low, normal or high gain but I did not need to push the volume knob past 12 o´clock.
I can´t imagine HA-1 would not be sufficient to drive HE-400i through unbalanced connection. Don´t know, maybe normal or high gain is needed, but really even through RCA it is able to deliver 500mW into 32 ohm headphone. Should be more than enough for moderately sensitive HE-400i.

Well, I don't know what to tell you.  I own the HA-1 and 400i, so I hear them all the time.  The HA-1 only has 2 gain settings -- low and high.  The owner's manual advises to run it in low gain if at all possible, even if that means maxing it out, so I rarely use high (with my 600-ohm DT990s, basically).

I never said the HA-1 isn't "sufficient" to drive the 400i's via TRS.  I said it has to work hard to do it (on low gain), and it probably would be worth the extra cable to use its XLR.  There's nothing very remarkable about that statement.  The amp is designed to run fully balanced.  That's one of its selling points.

If in your listening session you were able to get the 400i's to a typical listening level without pushing the HA-1 beyond 12 o'clock in low gain via TRS, either your ears are better than mine, your source was recorded at a higher level, or I have a faulty unit.

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #7,560 of 14,386

If in your listening session you were able to get the 400i's to a typical listening level without pushing the HA-1 beyond 12 o'clock in low gain via TRS, either your ears are better than mine, your source was recorded at a higher level, or I have a faulty unit.

Or they like quiet playback volume. You would be surprised at how quietly many people say they listen to music in this community. I must admit I sort of chuckle when I hear about posters talking about feeling the bass who also like it around 80db. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but you aren't feeling the bass at quiet listening levels, it is just becoming established at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back