Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Feb 6, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #7,517 of 14,386
Is it possible to just cover up the holes on the Focus pads with something or layer on a felt material to imitate the Focus-A pads?
Also I've seen those Brainwavz pads in three different variants: pleather, velour and hybrid. Anyone compared these?

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #7,518 of 14,386
You talking about the velours or the angled 400S velpads?

Both will have similar effects, but the angled pads will help the bass remain more linear due to its angle. Velour changes the sound signature, tending to brighten it up, because the seal is lacking and the bass frequencies drop out.

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #7,519 of 14,386
So I took some measurements today of the HE400i+ the HM5 pads and thought Id share.  I knew they sounded better the moment I put them on, but it was a bit surprising just how much the FR changed.  I changed back and forth between the 2 pads about 10 times just make sure I had it right.  I was using the Vali/Modi combo when making these graphs.

HE400i+ HM5 Angled Leather Pads

H400i+Focus Pads

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #7,520 of 14,386
  So I took some measurements today of the HE400i+ the HM5 pads and thought Id share.  I knew they sounded better the moment I put them on, but it was a bit surprising just how much the FR changed.  I changed back and forth between the 2 pads about 10 times just make sure I had it right.  I was using the Vali/Modi combo when making these graphs.

H400i+Focus Pads

That's quite a difference.  Thanks for posting it!

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #7,521 of 14,386

H400i+Focus Pads

Are these the pads you used?
http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Angled-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZY8PGJI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1454817391&sr=1-1&keywords=brainwavz+angled+leather

Thanks.

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #7,522 of 14,386
Feb 6, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #7,523 of 14,386
  Yes, those are the pads.

Curious as to how you mounted the pads?  Did you use the ring from an old Hifiman ear pad?  Also, did you glue the new pads to the ring to create a good seal?  I found that if they are not glued the sound might change as there is air leakage which affects the FR.  I noticed this when I was tweaking my HE-400 and looked at some of the mods being done on the HE-500 where some where using silicone to seal the pad to the mounting ring on the housing and also the ear pad mounting ring to the housing.

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #7,525 of 14,386
  Curious as to how you mounted the pads?  Did you use the ring from an old Hifiman ear pad?  Also, did you glue the new pads to the ring to create a good seal?  I found that if they are not glued the sound might change as there is air leakage which affects the FR.  I noticed this when I was tweaking my HE-400 and looked at some of the mods being done on the HE-500 where some where using silicone to seal the pad to the mounting ring on the housing and also the ear pad mounting ring to the housing.

I bought a pair of the cheapest hifiman pads, ripped out the Ring, and stuffed it into the HM5 pads.  Given that the ring barely fits inside the HM5 pads (you have to stretch the crap out of the pads), I didn't need glue to create a seal.  I also didn't need glue to make a seal with the earcup of the HP.  The focus pads are compeletely unaltered.

Feb 7, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #7,526 of 14,386
  I bought a pair of the cheapest hifiman pads, ripped out the Ring, and stuffed it into the HM5 pads.  Given that the ring barely fits inside the HM5 pads (you have to stretch the crap out of the pads), I didn't need glue to create a seal.  I also didn't need glue to make a seal with the earcup of the HP.  The focus pads are compeletely unaltered.

Thanks for the reply

Feb 7, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #7,530 of 14,386
Rather than replacing the ear pads, is it possible to tame the treble with EQ? This is a very noob question, but is there a free EQ plug-in for Audirvana/apple audio components that lets me enter the reduction in DB manually?

I found these settings on another audio forum to tame the 400i's treble. But the app's built-in EQ doesn't let me alter things exactly at the 3.5kHz range. Here's the settings:

I was able to EQ the HE-400i to make them sound pretty good. My settings are
 -2dB @ 3.5kHz, 
-4dB @ 5kHz,
-4dB @ 7kHz,
and --2dB @ 10kHz.

I wanted to add as little EQ as I could get away with. In fact, they are still just a little sibilant, but they are now usable. This is the first time I have used EQ in years... I have been reluctant to use digital EQ for possible artifacts that might be introduced, but it actually works pretty good. My audio player I believe uses a version of Super EQ.

Thanks for any help. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back