Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Feb 5, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #7,501 of 14,386

I wonder how similar the m9xx and m920 are, sound-wise.

Hopefully similar, but damn is the M920 sexy. Love to have that bad boy.

Feb 5, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #7,502 of 14,386
  Hopefully similar, but damn is the M920 sexy. Love to have that bad boy.

Still getting acquainted with mine.  So far it's sounded good with everything I've thrown at it, though I'm guessing it wouldn't drive my 600-ohm 990s very well.

I should poke around and see if it and the xx have the same DAC/HPA hardware inside.

Feb 5, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #7,503 of 14,386

You mean the headphones themselves correct?

Yes, but this is just a test to see if the treble decrease helps you or not. Ultimately you will turn the pads around and keep the correct orientation.

For all those who do no understand how changing the angle on the pads may affect the sound just think about how what the earcup is trying to do. It is coupling the driver to your ear and because all of our ears are different the ideal angle is different was well. Acoustically this changes the coupling not only directly into the ear canal, but the reflection of the sound waves off of the parts of the ear. There are some papers out there that talk about this especially for pickup patterns on mics etc which are great reads.

This change does not really affect the phase and a simple phase tests confirms this although it does obviously change the soundstage a bit. It is somewhat silly to expect an angle on any earcup to perfectly match every ear.

Feb 5, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #7,504 of 14,386
anyone using custom pads?

Feb 5, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #7,505 of 14,386
Yes, but this is just a test to see if the treble decrease helps you or not. Ultimately you will turn the pads around and keep the correct orientation.

For all those who do no understand how changing the angle on the pads may affect the sound just think about how what the earcup is trying to do. It is coupling the driver to your ear and because all of our ears are different the ideal angle is different was well. Acoustically this changes the coupling not only directly into the ear canal, but the reflection of the sound waves off of the parts of the ear. There are some papers out there that talk about this especially for pickup patterns on mics etc which are great reads.

This change does not really affect the phase and a simple phase tests confirms this although it does obviously change the soundstage a bit. It is somewhat silly to expect an angle on any earcup to perfectly match every ear.

What's the point of flipping the pads instead of just flipping the cable?

Feb 5, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #7,506 of 14,386
I was not sure if the drivers were angled at all so I kept the possible orientation of the driver and any other coupling mechanics in place.

Feb 5, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #7,507 of 14,386
I was not sure if the drivers were angled at all so I kept the possible orientation of the driver and any other coupling mechanics in place.

Oh. They're not angled. Really the only thing that would be different is the angle of the cable being a bit awkward I suppose. The inner cups are perfectly front/back symmetric.

Feb 5, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #7,509 of 14,386
Anyone tried the 400S velpads on these, yet? What sound changes am I looking at, and are they major? I'm thinking of picking them up because the focus pads do make my ears hot after a little while. For long gaming sessions I often reach for the SHP9500 because of so. If the sound changes are minimal with the velpads, they may just be what I'm looking for.

Feb 5, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #7,510 of 14,386
The velour pads drop the bass response causing it to roll off a bit early for my taste, but other than that they keep the planar sound.

Feb 5, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #7,511 of 14,386
The velour pads drop the bass response causing it to roll off a bit early for my taste, but other than that they keep the planar sound.

You talking about the velours or the angled 400S velpads?

Feb 6, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #7,512 of 14,386
i ended up pulling the trigger on the APPJ tube amp. After all the reading I've done, they look like the right thing to have for my budget and these headphones. Next I need to shop around for a DAC.. Should be as easy as pi. I was attracted to the idea of using the DX50 as my computer's DAC, but seeing as it can't stand up to the DX90 or DX80, and those being pretty high in price, I think I'd better start reading about traditional standalone DACs. I've seen a few in particular mentioned in this thread, so I'll start there. Cheers!

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #7,513 of 14,386
  i ended up pulling the trigger on the APPJ tube amp. After all the reading I've done, they look like the right thing to have for my budget and these headphones. Next I need to shop around for a DAC.. Should be as easy as pi. I was attracted to the idea of using the DX50 as my computer's DAC, but seeing as it can't stand up to the DX90 or DX80, and those being pretty high in price, I think I'd better start reading about traditional standalone DACs. I've seen a few in particular mentioned in this thread, so I'll start there. Cheers!

So many nice DACs these days, an embarrassment of riches so to speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back