Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Oct 11, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #5,178 of 14,386

May I assume that you tried the driver matching test and your headphones passed the test.
Just curious!

i tried the tests before i posted here.
i felt like the left driver is abit louder, especialy with the "Bass Shaker" test.
but now its seems fine, even with the tracks i uploaded which were the most ovious for me.

i now thinking if there is anything to do with the position im sitting.

this is my room layout: (i used real measurement and  a software for this :))

im sitting about 75cm from the right wall and 145cm from the closet.
my AC is always ON, pretty hot here :)

could the position+AC noise make this effect?
because when i turn my head to the left and take about 50cm to the back the sound is more balanced.

getting really confused here XD
cant tell if is it just my mind playing tricks on me.

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #5,179 of 14,386
Did you try the specific test that I linked to above?  (driver matching test) It is specifically designed to detect driver imbalance. To verify driver matching. There are lots of tests out there, such as the bass shaker you mention. I don't think it would be as sensitive, nor would it give you wideband results, like the test that I linked would.

If with the mono test tone sweep (driver matching) the image stayed centered through the entire sweep, You don't have an driver imbalance. At least not an audible one.
You could be fixating on a non-problem.

I suppose that the noise from the air conditioner might, as it is louder on the side towards it, cause the impression of different levels. The fact that it changes when you move your head supports that. OTH it also would tend to support the test results which apparently show no problem with the drivers in the headphone.

Oct 12, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #5,180 of 14,386
Sometimes the wire head become loose, where it says R & L and the actual connectors they are two different parts that can become loose. Either try with different set of wires to ensure the actual condition of the headphones or if you don't have spare wire, you'll have to go rogue, take the wire off the connecter and reattached it. At your own risk, of course!! 

Oct 15, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #5,181 of 14,386
Hi guys,

Just did a grill mod for my 400i. Just a good quality mesh from a metal trash can, cut it round and installed it allright.

Soundstage definitely improved, but. I used to think 400i was a warm set of cans, now the highs are increased way too much, I would say the headphone is definitely a bright one and even has a problem with sibilance.

Did anybody else experience this? Did not install any foam, will this help without "damaging" the soundstage effect?

Or is grilling a choice between a warm but closed-sounding headphone and open/airy and very bright one?

Oct 15, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #5,182 of 14,386
  Hi guys,

Just did a grill mod for my 400i. Just a good quality mesh from a metal trash can, cut it round and installed it allright.

Soundstage definitely improved, but. I used to think 400i was a warm set of cans, now the highs are increased way too much, I would say the headphone is definitely a bright one and even has a problem with sibilance.

Did anybody else experience this? Did not install any foam, will this help without "damaging" the soundstage effect?

Or is grilling a choice between a warm but closed-sounding headphone and open/airy and very bright one?

I didn't find that the treble got sibilance, I just felt it lost bass. I use the original grills because of this. To me it seemed like a choice between two different sounds, but I did not experiment. Perhaps with a slightly thicker fabric and more open grill, a medium effect can be achieved.

Oct 18, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #5,186 of 14,386

i tried the tests before i posted here.
i felt like the left driver is abit louder, especialy with the "Bass Shaker" test.
but now its seems fine, even with the tracks i uploaded which were the most ovious for me.

i now thinking if there is anything to do with the position im sitting.

this is my room layout: (i used real measurement and  a software for this :))

im sitting about 75cm from the right wall and 145cm from the closet.
my AC is always ON, pretty hot here :)

could the position+AC noise make this effect?
because when i turn my head to the left and take about 50cm to the back the sound is more balanced.

getting really confused here XD
cant tell if is it just my mind playing tricks on me.

Man I had the same problem as you, only it's that things like hi-hats sound like they're coming from the right side, rather than perfectly centered. I tested dozens of tracks, everything's on the right... but I tested another pair of headphones and it was virtually the same result. I must have spent like 20 hours just testing this, it drove me totally nuts. I just tested using the Driver Matching test and it turns out that it actually shifts to the LEFT at higher frequencies, but just for a brief moment... I don't get that at all!

Oct 19, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #5,188 of 14,386
Okay, well the 400i is pretty darn impressive. I will need to do some head to head against the TH 900, but now that I have had a chance to run the 400i through my main rig I'm pretty impressed. It doesn't have the depth of separation of the 560, but it isn't far off, nor does it have soundstage of the 560, again close, but man this is a great headphone. I actually may prefer the treble presentation on the 400i versus the Fostex, but I will need more time to really be sure. The bass may lack some of the micro-detail of the 560, but it has a little more punch which I like. Normally quantity for quality trade-offs aren't for me, but the 400i may have found the sweet spot. Regardless, for the money I can confidently say I feel the 400i is easily an equal value to the 560, and might even edge it out. Frankly I wasn't expecting the 400i to sound quite this good. Still early impressions, but certainly a great headphone.

Oct 19, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #5,189 of 14,386
  <<snip snip >> Frankly I wasn't expecting the 400i to sound quite this good. Still early impressions, but certainly a great headphone.

The TOTL headphones are running away from the nearTOTL headphones in price, but the nearTOTLs are narrowing the gap in SQ.

And not to mention any specific names, but there are some disruptive actors in the DAC and amp world who are blowing up the old paradigms for SQ/price = value there. 

Plus we have some entrants coming in who look to be intending to eviscerate the ultra-high-end DAP segment.

Great times to be a value shopper in headphone-dom.  

Oct 19, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #5,190 of 14,386
  Okay, well the 400i is pretty darn impressive. I will need to do some head to head against the TH 900, but now that I have had a chance to run the 400i through my main rig I'm pretty impressed. It doesn't have the depth of separation of the 560, but it isn't far off, nor does it have soundstage of the 560, again close, but man this is a great headphone. I actually may prefer the treble presentation on the 400i versus the Fostex, but I will need more time to really be sure. The bass may lack some of the micro-detail of the 560, but it has a little more punch which I like. Normally quantity for quality trade-offs aren't for me, but the 400i may have found the sweet spot. Regardless, for the money I can confidently say I feel the 400i is easily an equal value to the 560, and might even edge it out. Frankly I wasn't expecting the 400i to sound quite this good. Still early impressions, but certainly a great headphone.

Thanks for the impressions. The HE400i satisfies all my headphone needs for the better part of this year. Detailed, but smooth, and definitely fun. Do give a comparison to the TH900 if you have the time bcos it's also one of my targets heheh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back