Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Oct 20, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #5,192 of 14,386
@PETEREK, just a shout out to say thank you for the great adapter for my 400i. As always, really nice work and the headphone sounds great through my rig. Thanks.

Oct 20, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #5,194 of 14,386
  I really like the 400i so far. I am interested though in an amp that is a bit brighter than the Schiit Fulla. I understand that the original Magni was fairly bright. Can anyone recommend a current production amp ~$200 that is equivalent in this regard?

I am not sure whether it is "politically correct"
wink_face.gif
 to do so but I would recommend Objective 2 as a great amp for HE-400i. 

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #5,198 of 14,386
  Okay, well the 400i is pretty darn impressive. I will need to do some head to head against the TH 900, but now that I have had a chance to run the 400i through my main rig I'm pretty impressed. It doesn't have the depth of separation of the 560, but it isn't far off, nor does it have soundstage of the 560, again close, but man this is a great headphone. I actually may prefer the treble presentation on the 400i versus the Fostex, but I will need more time to really be sure. The bass may lack some of the micro-detail of the 560, but it has a little more punch which I like. Normally quantity for quality trade-offs aren't for me, but the 400i may have found the sweet spot. Regardless, for the money I can confidently say I feel the 400i is easily an equal value to the 560, and might even edge it out. Frankly I wasn't expecting the 400i to sound quite this good. Still early impressions, but certainly a great headphone.

Yeah.  What you said.  And these headphones have almost totally killed my need to get another set to try, and are a good compliment to the Alpha Primes and SR225i's that I have.  But all things considered, counting my IEM's, the 400i's get 80% at least of my listening time.

Perfect?  No. But fun, easy, resolving, and comfortable.  Pretty good comination!

Oct 20, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #5,199 of 14,386
  Yeah.  What you said.  And these headphones have almost totally killed my need to get another set to try, and are a good compliment to the Alpha Primes and SR225i's that I have.  But all things considered, counting my IEM's, the 400i's get 80% at least of my listening time.

Perfect?  No. But fun, easy, resolving, and comfortable.  Pretty good comination!

Agree, not perfect (but truly neutral stuff is typically boring for many of us); however as you say the 400i is quite resolving and fun for sure. I'm going to get a few hours later tonight I hope to really test them out.

Oct 20, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #5,201 of 14,386
Oct 21, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #5,202 of 14,386
  My "Default 400i" eq setting...

I think I might be a basshead.

But a smart one. But  that's also a great EQ for moderate volume (which I'm sure you already know, but there may be many who have not seen one before)

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #5,204 of 14,386
I came to this forum to look for a nice headphone for EDM / Electronica and made my way to this thread after plenty of research as well as a few others. I tried the hifiman 400i and enjoyed it a lot at first. It was beautiful, comfortable, and had a fantastic, rich, full sound. Later, I tried fostex th600 today and the bass blew me away. I listened to a few Sennheisers as well, but after listening to the fostex th600, all others seemed flat and clinical, and seemed to be missing a third of the frequency spectrum. I still enjoyed the hifiman 400i and would love to keep it around, but it is my opinion if you care about a superior low end experience for bass music, the fostex th600 is the way to go. Just my 2 cents for anyone else in the some position as me.

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #5,205 of 14,386
  I came to this forum to look for a nice headphone for EDM / Electronica and made my way to this thread after plenty of research as well as a few others. I tried the hifiman 400i and enjoyed it a lot at first. It was beautiful, comfortable, and had a fantastic, rich, full sound. Later, I tried fostex th600 today and the bass blew me away. I listened to a few Sennheisers as well, but after listening to the fostex th600, all others seemed flat and clinical, and seemed to be missing a third of the frequency spectrum. I still enjoyed the hifiman 400i and would love to keep it around, but it is my opinion if you care about a superior low end experience for bass music, the fostex th600 is the way to go. Just my 2 cents for anyone else in the some position as me

The 400i can reach deep into the subbass region with proper EQ'ing and power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back