Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Aug 8, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #962 of 14,386
Figured I'd finish compiling my thoughts on 400i now that I've had the test unit for over a week now. Here's the writeup:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-he-400i/reviews/11407

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #963 of 14,386
  Figured I'd finish compiling my thoughts on 400i now that I've had the test unit for over a week now. Here's the writeup:

Very nice job!! Thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts together.

One question, is the review based off the stock 400i or grill modded? 

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #964 of 14,386

I am thinking stock. A grill mod wouldn't be something to base your purchase on, would it?
It's a subtle difference from my understanding anyway so...

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #965 of 14,386

Completely agree with MattTCG. Wonderful review of the HE-400i and I certainly look forward to your possible next mods of the HE-400i and the HE-560. 
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #966 of 14,386
Ditto on the review.  Thank Jerg, nicely done.  Can't wait to audition the HE400i.  Was really, really impressed by the HE560 but the HE400i may suit my needs and budget.  Just may be back into the HiFiMAN fold again.

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #967 of 14,386
Yeah, I hope people do their reviews based off the stock everything, since it's true to what EVERYONE can expect. Then they can add some additional info about the mods. I certainly don't do my reviews with mods in place, since not everyone is going to be modding. I do add that info if I did mod a headphone though.

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #968 of 14,386

Stock, with a mentioning of the mod (in the soundstage subsection)?

Yeah, I hope people do their reviews based off the stock everything, since it's true to what EVERYONE can expect. Then they can add some additional info about the mods. I certainly don't do my reviews with mods in place, since not everyone is going to be modding. I do add that info if I did mod a headphone though.

I'm not sure if you read my write-up or not, because this comment sounds quite passive-aggressive toward me specifically, and in this case that isn't justified.

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #969 of 14,386
I shall do my review on the HE-400i without any mods. I would never mod a demonstration unit, nor it's not a fair review. People want to know how the cans sound right out of the box. Do to budget constraints, I will only use two different sets of tubes in my lyr 2, to base my review.

Aug 8, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #971 of 14,386
  There are aspects of the pre fazor lcd2 that I really loved. But the design choices being made by hifiman are "smart" and Audeze needs to get on board. I just don't like wearing a football helmet with a brick strapped to the top when I listen to music. 

Oh man, come off it. Having read about the weight issue with LCD-2's only to put them on for absolute ages......Yes, they are on the heavier end of headphones but in the scheme of things they are not heavy at all as was valididated by quite a few on the LCD-2 thread. I mean honestly I was expecting some kind of ear tugging brick from this crap that comes up again and again.

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #972 of 14,386
Oh man, come off it. Having read about the weight issue with LCD-2's only to put them on for absolute ages......Yes, they are on the heavier end of headphones but in the scheme of things they are not heavy at all as was valididated by quite a few on the LCD-2 thread. I mean honestly I was expecting some kind of ear tugging brick from this crap that comes up again and again.

+1. Weight was never an issue. Loved the snugness and I had 3-4 hour listening sessions at a time.

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #973 of 14,386
To me, the weight was not a factor until my Alpha Dog.
Now I look closely this criteria because I could not bear the weight of this cans after few hours.
Edit: It seems that it depends on the people. And I précise that I used it at work, all day.

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #974 of 14,386
Maybe not when you can't compare but coming off the HE-6 the new Hifimans feel featherweight and uber pillow comfy...:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back