Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Aug 8, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #991 of 14,386
Sorry I didn't mean to sound close minded.  I was just hoping someone would have some impressions of the Soloist SL here.  I do know the Lyr 2 is well regarded... I would go for that if I could get it on Amazon :frowning2:

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #992 of 14,386
  Lyr 2 is not available on Amazon :frowning2:  
And overnight shipping on Schiit website is over $50, whereas it is only $5 on Amazon... quite a large difference!  
Lyr 2 with overnight shipping from Schiit would be $503, whereas the Soloist SL is $600... so only $100 difference, and I've read that the Soloist SL is better than Lyr 2.

I'd take the lyr 2 over the soloist, but as already been said...it's your money. GL!!

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #993 of 14,386
^+1, it's worth the extra shipping to get the Lyr 2 IMO, best of luck..listening to the Lyr 2, HE560's and the Wyrd/Modi, and even with an entry legal source the music is phenomenal, female vocals and guitar are goosebump inducing!

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #994 of 14,386
I just added the NAD m51 today and I've been listening all evening to the 400i...wow, just wow. 
atsmile.gif

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #995 of 14,386
^Matt you are bringing the NAD m51 to Nashville, aren't you?!?!?!

Aug 8, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #998 of 14,386
Yes, of course. And for $5 I'll let you listen to it. :p

Richard Thompson, "Al Bowlly's in Heaven", got me soooooo jazzed up I might just give you $5.00 ✌️.

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #999 of 14,386
Stock, with a mentioning of the mod (in the soundstage subsection)?

I haven't read your review yet. I'm generalizing. Reviews should focus on the headphone's default presentation, as the majority of consumers aren't going to be doing mods, but everyone will at least understand reviews when the equipment is the same.

Unless a reviewer specifically states 'This is a modded XXXX review', of course.

I think an additional section to reviews for modded impressions, etc would make more sense than just jumping in right into a modded review.

Aug 9, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #1,000 of 14,386
http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php - Totally random, but I was here, and apparently I can hear 10hz to 22khz. :p

Aug 9, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #1,001 of 14,386
  Sorry I didn't mean to sound close minded.  I was just hoping someone would have some impressions of the Soloist SL here.  I do know the Lyr 2 is well regarded... I would go for that if I could get it on Amazon :frowning2:

OK, I own the original LYR and the Soloist (big brother to the SL). The Soloist is a more laid back amp. Schiit amps in general are a tad forward and aggressive, IMO. You need to decide which song signature you like. Good luck.

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #1,003 of 14,386
Hey everyone, thank you so much for your help yesterday.
I was THIIIIS close to ordering the Lyr, even with the $50 shipping cost.  In the end, I chose the Soloist SL because of the built in power transformer that accepts both 115 and 230V, as this is important for me (living in both China and the US).  I also was a bit worried about traveling across the world with tube amps.

So now I have another question, this time for the DAC.

Does anyone have any experience with the Peachtree DAC-IT (or DAC-IT X)?  They seem to be well regarded... most review it as better than Bifrost but not as good as Bifrost Uber.  They are a fraction of the Uberfrost price though ($299 on AMZ vs $500 for the Uberfrost with USB), and the power supply accepts 100v-240v power input, which is important for me.

Any thoughts?  Would this DAC be good enough for 400i/560?

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #1,004 of 14,386
The odac is quite decent for the money. Good to travel with also. Moving up the chain, the bifrost is a great deal for the money. The uber will take it to the next level though. I haven't swapped dacs that often so my experience is limited. 

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #1,005 of 14,386
  The odac is quite decent for the money. Good to travel with also. Moving up the chain, the bifrost is a great deal for the money. The uber will take it to the next level though. I haven't swapped dacs that often so my experience is limited. 

As long as you don't have an extremely noisy USB, the ODAC is pretty much perfect in terms of audio reproduction. You'd be better off spending money on various sets of tubes if you want to tilt the sound towards your preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back