Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Aug 8, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #976 of 14,386
  Figured I'd finish compiling my thoughts on 400i now that I've had the test unit for over a week now. Here's the writeup:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-he-400i/reviews/11407

Nicely done, jerg. Sounds like another HiFiMAN best-buy is coming, and with another impressions thread started by Matt
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #977 of 14,386

Oh man, come off it. Having read about the weight issue with LCD-2's only to put them on for absolute ages......Yes, they are on the heavier end of headphones but in the scheme of things they are not heavy at all as was valididated by quite a few on the LCD-2 thread. I mean honestly I was expecting some kind of ear tugging brick from this crap that comes up again and again.

Be very cautious with that kind of post, because it's far from being common sense. Most people I know who own/owned/tested the LCD2(and HE-500 for that matter) found it very heavy and unconfortable, and many sold it for this very reason. Comfort tolerance varies from person to person. Because a headphone is comfortable for you doesn't mean it will be for everyone, and in the case of planar-magnetics in general,  they are definitely below average in this regard.

Aug 8, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #978 of 14,386
Having worn the LCD-XC, I can pretty confidently say that very few people (at most) will find the weight anything nicer than "easily tolerable". Comfortable is the point where they start to disappear - and having used 5g IEMS for the past 4 years, I will also say that once the fit is right they can and do disappear.

I would never expect the same of full-size headphones, but having tried the HD650s too I would say that a "comfortable" headphone can approach that, when you are no longer aware of the shape of the headphone and all you feel is a very slight, even pressure around your ears and on your head.

I was constantly aware of the weight of the Audeze's - it was so bad they kept slipping forward and bending my ears so they touched the grill which was highly irritating. Even when sitting straight to prevent that the pressure didn't let me concentrate 100% on the music. I can fully see how it would be a deal breaker no matter how good they sound (and that bass was something else).

With the headband and weight of the new HiFiMan's they look like they could, almost, disappear from my head - which would definitely help with the appreciation of music.

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #979 of 14,386
  Having worn the LCD-XC, I can pretty confidently say that very few people (at most) will find the weight anything nicer than "easily tolerable". Comfortable is the point where they start to disappear - and having used 5g IEMS for the past 4 years, I will also say that once the fit is right they can and do disappear.

I would never expect the same of full-size headphones, but having tried the HD650s too I would say that a "comfortable" headphone can approach that, when you are no longer aware of the shape of the headphone and all you feel is a very slight, even pressure around your ears and on your head.

I was constantly aware of the weight of the Audeze's - it was so bad they kept slipping forward and bending my ears so they touched the grill which was highly irritating. Even when sitting straight to prevent that the pressure didn't let me concentrate 100% on the music. I can fully see how it would be a deal breaker no matter how good they sound (and that bass was something else).

With the headband and weight of the new HiFiMan's they look like they could, almost, disappear from my head - which would definitely help with the appreciation of music.

For what it's worth, these are the first headphones that are really comfy for me. All my previous cans were either too heavy, created pressure points on my head, had to shallow earpads or a combination of the above...
The HE-560 [and the 400i] with Focus pads are the first headphones to cause NO discomfort after prolonged use and allow me to enjoy music/gaming/ movies to their fullest... They still have to readjust here and there [heat build up, etc] but they get the closet to perfection a headphone's gotten to me... The earpads could be a bit roomier but that's it, seriously... Maybe my head is a strange shape or maybe my ears are but all I know that this is my first time having no issues AT ALL with the fit.
IMO. YMMV.

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #980 of 14,386
My Asgard 2 delivery was cancelled by Amazon because they ran out of stock :frowning2:
I am now scrambling for a good amp on Amazon that is available with Prime shipping so I can use one day shipping to receive it on Monday (I leave for China on Tuesday).

Can anyone give me any good recommendations of an amp that will last me for a very long time and will be good for both the 400i and 560 (since I'm not sure which one I want yet)?

I think I would prefer solid state because I get the feeling that tube amps will be hard to transport well to China without breaking... plus I never heard a tube sound so I don't know if I would like it.

Originally my budget was around 300 (hence the Asgard 2), but now I am willing to go higher if it's for an amp I will not have to upgrade (at least in the solid state class).  I'm currently considering the Soloist SL... perhaps overkill for the 400i, but any opinions?

Thanks!  I am completely open to other suggestions too as long as it is available on Amazon with Prime shipping.

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #981 of 14,386
^Check out Schiit's site and order directly from them. I just checked, they have Asgard 2's in stock and ship in 1-3 business days. Enjoy your Asgard, it is a great amp!

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #982 of 14,386
Unfortunately, 1-3 business days is not reliable enough, as I will be leaving on Tuesday.  
I had ordered on Amazon this past Tuesday with 1 day shipping, and then on Wednesday it suddenly showed up as out of stock.  I talked to two Amazon CSR and they both guaranteed that the amp would come in by Friday at the latest.  Well, last night I received an email from Amazon telling me it had to cancel my order because the amp was out of stock indefinitely.  So by that time I had no option to order from Schiit directly as it is not guaranteed to come in by Monday.

If I order something from Amazon with 1 day shipping if it has Prime, it is "guaranteed" to come in by Monday, which is why I'm hoping to get something there.  I also looked at the M-Stage HPA-2 but it does not seem like it would output enough watts to properly drive the 560 (perhaps enough for 400i, but I would prefer something more future proof).

I did enjoy the Asgard 2 a lot... I'm really frustrated that Amazon didn't just cancel my order earlier so I could have ordered directly from Schiit.

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #983 of 14,386
My Asgard 2 delivery was cancelled by Amazon because they ran out of stock :frowning2:
I am now scrambling for a good amp on Amazon that is available with Prime shipping so I can use one day shipping to receive it on Monday (I leave for China on Tuesday).

Can anyone give me any good recommendations of an amp that will last me for a very long time and will be good for both the 400i and 560 (since I'm not sure which one I want yet)?

I think I would prefer solid state because I get the feeling that tube amps will be hard to transport well to China without breaking... plus I never heard a tube sound so I don't know if I would like it.

Originally my budget was around 300 (hence the Asgard 2), but now I am willing to go higher if it's for an amp I will not have to upgrade (at least in the solid state class).  I'm currently considering the Soloist SL... perhaps overkill for the 400i, but any opinions?

Thanks!  I am completely open to other suggestions too as long as it is available on Amazon with Prime shipping.

You could check out the garage1217 Polaris. More functionality, cheaper price. Comes with a great warranty. They make great products. The housing isn't for everyone, but you might not mind. The Polaris just released.

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #984 of 14,386
+1 !!

You could check out the garage1217 Polaris. More functionality, cheaper price. Comes with a great warranty. They make great products. The housing isn't for everyone, but you might not mind. The Polaris just released.

I've got the Polaris and those drive the 560s with plenty of room in low gain. SS, $250 and I think Jeremy can hook you up with overnigjt shipping for the price. He's very responsive via email (same as the contact form on their site).

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #985 of 14,386
Thank you two for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, the naturally open aesthetics of G1217's Project series would make this very difficult to travel with on the way to China (which is the reason I prefer not to get a tube amp either).  Also, I think it doesn't offer as much wattage per channel as the Soloist SL does... I think?

Has anyone tried the Soloist SL with Hifiman planars?  I'm wondering if it's really worth the nearly 2x cost compared to Asgard 2 and Project Polaris.

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #986 of 14,386
^The Lyr 2 actually packs well, the tubes come encased in a small box, wrapped in foam, very securely packaged. The sound with the 560's is phenomenal.

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #987 of 14,386
^The Lyr 2 actually packs well, the tubes come encased in a small box, wrapped in foam, very securely packaged. The sound with the 560's is phenomenal.

+1 just heard the lyr 2 with 400i. It's the real deal and worth the extra coin. Even on stock tubes...very nice. 

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #988 of 14,386
Lyr 2 is not available on Amazon :frowning2:  
And overnight shipping on Schiit website is over $50, whereas it is only $5 on Amazon... quite a large difference!  
Lyr 2 with overnight shipping from Schiit would be $503, whereas the Soloist SL is $600... so only $100 difference, and I've read that the Soloist SL is better than Lyr 2.

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #989 of 14,386
Lyr 2 is not available on Amazon :frowning2:  
And overnight shipping on Schiit website is over $50, whereas it is only $5 on Amazon... quite a large difference!  
Lyr 2 with overnight shipping from Schiit would be $503, whereas the Soloist SL is $600... so only $100 difference, and I've read that the Soloist SL is better than Lyr 2.

It seems like you're set on the soloist. No one can tell you if it's worth double the price because it's your wallet that'll be taking the hit.

If it does everything you need and can get to you in time, then go for it. You can always sell it later if you feel like it's not meeting your expectations.

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #990 of 14,386
Has anyone used a lyr2 with telefunken E88CC to power the HE-400i? I have made a little more money this pay period and I am tempted to get a set of telefunken tubes, and see how much better the HE-400i demos sound. But I feel it would be wiser and save the money for a dac upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back