Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 22, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #121 of 14,386
^^^^ Amen.
biggrin.gif

I got a one year. Wonder why they offered different terms to different customers?

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #123 of 14,386
I can only wonder what 'stats they have in mind when they say it has an electrostatic-like sound...

I found the HE-400 and SR-202/SRM-212 combo to sound quite similar, down to the faults like graininess and recessed mids/vocals. The vintage SR-Lambda walked all over both for me because of that, and if they can make something even approximating that glorious midrange and sparkly-but-not-ear-piercing treble in the HE-400i...

They'll also need bigger earcups, too. The HE-400's were a tad too small to be circumaural to my ears. DT**0 or Lambda-size cups would be large enough.

Jan 23, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #124 of 14,386
I can only wonder what 'stats they have in mind when they say it has an electrostatic-like sound...

I found the HE-400 and SR-202/SRM-212 combo to sound quite similar, down to the faults like graininess and recessed mids/vocals. The vintage SR-Lambda walked all over both for me because of that, and if they can make something even approximating that glorious midrange and sparkly-but-not-ear-piercing treble in the HE-400i...

They'll also need bigger earcups, too. The HE-400's were a tad too small to be circumaural to my ears. DT**0 or Lambda-size cups would be large enough.

Full-disclaimer, I've never heard electrostats. But my guess is, "speed". Attack and decay that are much better than dynamics, and help create a better sense of realism. Planars and electros are awesome because they are so damn 'flat' in response, it seems to come down mainly to upper-midrange and treble response in separating the good from the great.

My impression is that the HE-500 and HE-6 are still the benchmark for what hifiman wants to be able to achieve, so I expect a more "natural" response to become a descriptor of the HE-400i.

Jan 23, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #125 of 14,386
Stats as you've mention simply raise the bar on realism. The reproduction of sound is more natural and lifelike. Voices and instruments sound very "real." This is my experience anyway.

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #126 of 14,386
Stats as you've mention simply raise the bar on realism. The reproduction of sound is more natural and lifelike. Voices and instruments sound very "real." This is my experience anyway.

Once the electrostat is releases, I gotta get it.
Preferably along with a reasonably priced HFM electro amp :]

Jan 23, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #129 of 14,386
The successor to the Jade, right? I hope they get it right this time...

Meanwhile, I just want to note that electrostatic drivers ARE planar-structured by design; they just don't use electromagnetic force.

The greater speed and inherently more revealing nature that comes with planar designs is just one aspect of their overall sound presentation. If those two Lambda generations were any indication, even similar driver and frame designs yield radically different results.

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #130 of 14,386
He's talking about the electrostat they're working on I think.

Indeed. Thanks :wink:
I intend to buy one of the new planars too though :wink:
But I've mentioned that in almost every post yada yada.

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #131 of 14,386
I just sold my HE-400's in anticipation of buying these. Stupid decision? Maybe. But I'm pretty excited about the HE-400i. I loved the HE-400 but it was definitely one of the least comfortable headphones I've owned and the earcups were just a tad too small to be circumaural for me, as others have mentioned. 

I'm wondering how many driver revisions I should wait for after they go on sale before I pull the trigger though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back