Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 30, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #152 of 14,386
  I liked the idea of an upgraded HE-400 signature more than an HE-500 signature tbh.

+1

HE-400 sound with the treble smoothed out and maybe a slight upper mid bump would be fantastic. But anyway Hifiman said they're still tweaking the HE-400i's sound so we'll see.

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #154 of 14,386
How about we hear the new HPs first and complain later if we don't like what we hear 
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #157 of 14,386
I'm planning for these to be my next upgrade when i get the cash.

Pretty excited for the new headband and such, when i tried the HE-400, i just couldn't get them to be all that comfortable.

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #158 of 14,386
  HE-400i replacing HE-400 and at the same time not sounding like it is a bad idea to me.

as long as they maintain the stellar bass of the he-400 while improving the treble, it sounds like a great idea to me!!! though it kinda sucks for budget users looking for a cheap amazing value:price $300 entry hi-fi pair of headphones

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #159 of 14,386
As someone who never owned an HE-500, the prospect of having a similar hp that is lighter, and less expensive is still very appealing to me. If it ends up being an improved HE-400, I wouldn't shed any tears of regret, either. As long as it's more comfortable it's all good. Comfort has always been an area where HFM missed the mark a bit IMO.

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #160 of 14,386

+1

HE-400 sound with the treble smoothed out and maybe a slight upper mid bump would be fantastic. But anyway Hifiman said they're still tweaking the HE-400i's sound so we'll see.

As you described it - that is pretty much the HE-500 lol.

But I don't want "lush" and "smooth" sound. I want some aggression. You know like, HE-400 aggression. I assume that they'll follow the HE-500 signature (which has apparently been the benchmark for the company for awhile aside from the HE-6). But they'll need to give it good speed.

Since the HE-400 is being replaced, I assume this is possible. But I'm definitely hanging onto mine, since this sound is possibly going extinct. Its pretty dang close to my personal end-game and the 400i hitting $500 is really just psychologically too much money for me to part with unless I get some sort of windfall in the near future. The 560 will be dream cans but $1,000 is just crazy. I can get a really good 5.1 setup for either price.

With the price of the HE-400s dropping to the $300, I think the resale value of the HE-400s just dropped too. Oiy.

Jan 31, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #162 of 14,386
For me the decision will depend on many factors with the most important being air, imaging, bite (which might be just what the HE-6 lacked at times, with the general HFM shared midrange dip) and soundstage roundness (rather than calling it even depth and width), which should be improved with the angled pads.
Those are factors that can possibly make my perfect headphone out of either the 400i or 560.

To a certain degree my two favorite headphones come to mind, the K612 Pros (which has great soundstage, bite and amazing inaging but ultimately lacks the air I seek and the treble could be a hair less strident and smooth) and the. MA900 (with good amount of air, bite and soundstage. The imaging however is not as great as I'd like... And at times makes sounds a bit indistinct. Other drawbacks being the highs with little extension and the comfort is somewhat temperamental).

With the HE-6 still being my ultimate reference headphone, save for maybe a the less bite part (making me turn the volume way up... And so did others :wink:) and the bass, which is great, but distorted with certain gaming elements (any bigger explosions most notably) and had a simewhat uneven punch (due to the roll-off too, I imagine). I still really loved the headphone, save for weight and rarely comfort due to it (headband pressure)

I like a detailed, natural sound with that orthodynamic character.

So I certainly hope either of these fit my bill ( I mean I HAVE TO choose one... So the one closest to my reference)

Certainly eagerly awaiting first in-depth impressions :popcorn:

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #163 of 14,386
^ when you say bite if you mean attack then we both maybe a little too hopeful. 

the orthos usually lack in that area and though the bass can be textured, clean sounding, with good resolution, orthos loose out to dynamics in ....well dynamics. That is my only gripe about orthos. Drums and such though clear, lack the punch through the mix and the instruments though transparent don't flex.

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #164 of 14,386
The decision is easy for me. Price and similar sound signature to the he500 make this a no brainer for me. This is a win win in my book. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back