Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jun 3, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #13,697 of 14,386
Hi guys, bought both the 400S and the 400i and while they are on the way i was looking for some advices in pads (easily obtained outside USA) and a budget friendly DAC and AMP to accompany them. What do you recommend? Was thinking on the Magni3 + Modi2 combo or the new iFi nano iDSD Black label. Any suggestions on the $200 or lower range?

Thanks!
Before looking for different ear pads I suggest listening for a few weeks or so and see if there is something you'd don't like about either headphone since changing pads will not always correct an issue.

As for $200 or lower for an amp/DAC I'd suggest getting a amp for $200 and save for when you can get a decent DAC. With that said if you can stretch your budget to $250 there are quite a few decent/great amps in this range: MassDrop CTH, Project Polaris, Vali2, Magni3 (one of the best buys IMO but I'd still recommend either the Polaris or CTH at the higher price since to me they are much more flexible and better sounding IMO).

As for a DAC: Topping D30, Modi2uber or MB, and a few others that I can't think of at the moment.

Jun 3, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #13,698 of 14,386
Hi guys, bought both the 400S and the 400i and while they are on the way i was looking for some advices in pads (easily obtained outside USA) and a budget friendly DAC and AMP to accompany them. What do you recommend? Was thinking on the Magni3 + Modi2 combo or the new iFi nano iDSD Black label. Any suggestions on the $200 or lower range?

Thanks!
Meaning where outside the US? The experience here in Canada for obvious reasons might be way better than say for somebody in Turkey so the location does matter sometimes, not always though.

Jun 6, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #13,699 of 14,386
Meaning where outside the US? The experience here in Canada for obvious reasons might be way better than say for somebody in Turkey so the location does matter sometimes, not always though.

I live in Brazil so something at ebay with international shipping, Aliexpress, or another shop that sends internationally without costing too much like Penon, Lend Me UR ears or Brainwavz would be great.

For the amp, think I'm leaning towards the Magni 3 and Vali2. Does the Vali2 sounds that much better with the HE400i and HE400S? Magni 3 seems a little more versatile.

Thanks everyone for all the input.

Jun 7, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #13,700 of 14,386
I bought the HE 400i "special edition" yesterday new for $120 using the 20% off ebay coupon. Should get them tomorrow. Don't know what differences the "special edition" model would have (cosmetic I assume). Going to search this thread. Google didn't offer any real results.

Jun 8, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #13,701 of 14,386
I bought the HE 400i "special edition" yesterday new for $120 using the 20% off ebay coupon. Should get them tomorrow. Don't know what differences the "special edition" model would have (cosmetic I assume). Going to search this thread. Google didn't offer any real results.
Went to ebay and searched "special edition" HE400i and with some shops its listed as a blue chrome but there is no "special edition" on the boxes so it might just be a marketing gimmick since I've never heard of a "special edition" version of the HE400i so I'd be interested to see what you receive.

Jun 8, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #13,702 of 14,386
Went to ebay and searched "special edition" HE400i and with some shops its listed as a blue chrome but there is no "special edition" on the boxes so it might just be a marketing gimmick since I've never heard of a "special edition" version of the HE400i so I'd be interested to see what you receive.
I believe you are correct. I found a description on Amazon that basically states the special edition is dark blue chrome.

Jun 8, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #13,703 of 14,386
I believe you are correct. I found a description on Amazon that basically states the special edition is dark blue chrome.

That's what I bought and it ain't blue. It's exactly the same color as the others, that metallic purplish color. The "special edition" that I bought seemed to have nothing at all different about it except the generic cardboard box instead of the HiFiMan display case and nothing at all special about it except the price.

Some people, a few, have discovered a random balanced cable in with their headphones, but IIRC no one could determine why. LOL

Jun 8, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #13,706 of 14,386
Just got $120 HE400i from Buydig on Ebay. Amazingly, I found my OTL amplifier from Taobao can drive it very well!!
Got a link to the amp? I'm looking for a "cheap" tube amp to recommend for a friend that wants to spend $200 or less but wants to be able to drive a HD800, HD700, RS2e, HE560, HE400i and TH-900. I know its a bit crazy that she doesn't want to spend on an amp but has some really nice headphones that I think really deserve something better that any $200 amp but its a female thing and I'm not going to argue with her.

Jun 9, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #13,707 of 14,386
Got a link to the amp? I'm looking for a "cheap" tube amp to recommend for a friend that wants to spend $200 or less but wants to be able to drive a HD800, HD700, RS2e, HE560, HE400i and TH-900. I know its a bit crazy that she doesn't want to spend on an amp but has some really nice headphones that I think really deserve something better that any $200 amp but its a female thing and I'm not going to argue with her.
Darkvoice 336se is on Massdrop right now, although I am not sure if it drives planars well

Jun 9, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #13,708 of 14,386
Darkvoice 336se is on Massdrop right now, although I am not sure if it drives planars well
Thanks for the suggestion but I've tried the 336se and like you figured its not a good amp for planar headphones but its pretty good with the HD800, HD700 and other high impedance headphones. I tried to get her to go in on the MassDrop CTH but she didn't want to so I figured "what ever" at this point.

Jun 9, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #13,709 of 14,386

It's a discontinued product from taobao. But it uses one 6080 tube and two 5670 tubes. So should be similar to dark voice or woo wa3.

Jun 9, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #13,710 of 14,386
Thanks for the suggestion but I've tried the 336se and like you figured its not a good amp for planar headphones but its pretty good with the HD800, HD700 and other high impedance headphones. I tried to get her to go in on the MassDrop CTH but she didn't want to so I figured "what ever" at this point.

I saw someone said 336se can drive Philips X2 well, but X2 is not good on my OTL. Anyway, sound is a tricky thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back