Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
May 11, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #13,681 of 14,386
@Electrolite , If you can handle the brightness of the SHP9500 I don't think the HE400i would bother you but I'd also consider what @Loneract suggested about ear pads, foam/fabric if the treble is too much for you. Like you I like a fairly wide range of genres but favorites are jazz, pop from 70-80, classical, rock, Kpop, and Jpop and one reason I have kept many different headphones since they each tend to do well but I also like how each headphone has its own unique way of presenting a track. Here's an old picture that I took a few years back since my old GF said I have too many headphones and that they wouldn't fit on my living room table:

And she was right since there are 8-10 missing from this image IIRC.
I have to leave right now to play golf but I'll get back with some suggestions later today.

What is truly surprising is that after spending thousands and thousands on headphones, then going out to play golf, you still have a girlfriend at all!

May 11, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #13,682 of 14,386
Sounds like we listen to the same variety of music.

I'm sensitive to treble too. My HE-400i were a hair bright when I first got them but either I got used to it, they broke in, or the HM5 pads I added helped, or a combo of all three fixed.

I highly enjoy a pair Senn Momentum over ear for my commute. Accurate but "soft" sound compared to the HE-400i. They are suppossed to have a similar signature to the HD650 but in a closed can. Very pleasant and musical. But I can't wait to get home and listen to the planars.

The HE-400i are on another level. Like I can't imagine what a better headphone would offer (although I know if I tried one I would then know and start saving, lol.) Extremely clear but rarely harsh unless the source material is. I tried the HE-400S and enjoyed it too . . . a bit less bright, but had trouble getting a pair without issues.

Note that many headphone manufacturers adjust the sound of their headphones by adding foam or fabric in front of the drivers. You can do the same if you feel the headphone is a little bright.

Thanks for the input, this really makes me more comfortable choosing the Hifiman. I think between Hifiman 4xx and HD6xx I will pick the Hifiman the only thing left to check is if the HD58x will be a middle ground between the two worlds, We will see.

@Electrolite , If you can handle the brightness of the SHP9500 I don't think the HE400i would bother you but I'd also consider what @Loneract suggested about ear pads, foam/fabric if the treble is too much for you. Like you I like a fairly wide range of genres but favorites are jazz, pop from 70-80, classical, rock, Kpop, and Jpop and one reason I have kept many different headphones since they each tend to do well but I also like how each headphone has its own unique way of presenting a track. Here's an old picture that I took a few years back since my old GF said I have too many headphones and that they wouldn't fit on my living room table:

And she was right since there are 8-10 missing from this image IIRC.
I have to leave right now to play golf but I'll get back with some suggestions later today.

Okay I will wait, can you tell me what is this headphone between the AKG and Audeze? Never saw it, this open one.

Also you did the grill mod on the Hifiiman did it help with the sound?

May 12, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #13,685 of 14,386
Hi everyone, back from golf
@jnorris, my current girlfriend is a golf nut, food and wine lover, and loves listening to music but her preferences on genre are quite different form mine so its a good pairing where we try to get the other to appreciate different genres. Also, the current GF was not my GF when I was buying most of the gear on the table and she is the one that actually got me started with headphones and bought me a second HE560, Ember amp and WA7d DAC/amp.
PS: she told me to add that she is surprised that someone would think that its surprising that I still have a GF since we got together based on liking similar things: golf, music, wine, food and ....

@HungryPanda , you win a prize, SRH-1840 is correct :ksc75smile:

@Electrolite , since you have a set budget and I can understand that since I have some friends who also ask "what's the best headphone for under $200" these are my suggestions.
HD598: While I'm not a fan of them to me they were quite a bit better than the SHP9500 in tonal balance, imaging and fullness of the overall sound and they were fairly accommodating with various gear. I've given them to an old GF who loves them out of a Mac Book Pro, no amp needed.

My HE400i and HE560 are the older SMC jack ones and the grill mod does help with the soundstage but I think the grills also reduce some harshness in the mids / upper mids. The HE400 is modded with sorbothane in the cups, new grill with a hard rubber center area which helps to bring up the mids / upper mids and give the HE400 a much more balanced overall sound.

If you can get either the HD58X or HD6XX from MassDrop these would be my next choices but just keep in mind that the HD6XX will probably need a decent amp (OTL) if possible. Since I haven't heard the HD58X its hard to say what they will sound like but if they are close to what the graph showed in the HD58X thread then they might be the best deal around.

Some others to consider:
HE400i, HE400, HE560 (might be on the highs side even for a used one), SR-125e, SR-225e, M1060, MDR-1A, Momentum (might have to be used since new ones are still over priced to me), EL-8 open (on sale since they are being discontinued IIRC) and if you're lucky some of the older vintage stuff like my Stax SRD-34 might be good options.

If you are able to DIY with custom mods then I'd suggest something like a Nhoord Red V2 build like this:
Nhoord Red V2- Angsana cups.jpg
It will cost somewhere between $250 to $400 depending on the wood cups and headband that you select but to a few of my friends that I've built these for they are quite good as an all around headphone and sound great from a phone or low power DAP like Fiio X1.

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #13,686 of 14,386
Hi everyone, back from golf
@jnorris, my current girlfriend is a golf nut, food and wine lover, and loves listening to music but her preferences on genre are quite different form mine so its a good pairing where we try to get the other to appreciate different genres. Also, the current GF was not my GF when I was buying most of the gear on the table and she is the one that actually got me started with headphones and bought me a second HE560, Ember amp and WA7d DAC/amp.
PS: she told me to add that she is surprised that someone would think that its surprising that I still have a GF since we got together based on liking similar things: golf, music, wine, food and ....

@HungryPanda , you win a prize, SRH-1840 is correct :ksc75smile:

@Electrolite , since you have a set budget and I can understand that since I have some friends who also ask "what's the best headphone for under $200" these are my suggestions.
HD598: While I'm not a fan of them to me they were quite a bit better than the SHP9500 in tonal balance, imaging and fullness of the overall sound and they were fairly accommodating with various gear. I've given them to an old GF who loves them out of a Mac Book Pro, no amp needed.

My HE400i and HE560 are the older SMC jack ones and the grill mod does help with the soundstage but I think the grills also reduce some harshness in the mids / upper mids. The HE400 is modded with sorbothane in the cups, new grill with a hard rubber center area which helps to bring up the mids / upper mids and give the HE400 a much more balanced overall sound.

If you can get either the HD58X or HD6XX from MassDrop these would be my next choices but just keep in mind that the HD6XX will probably need a decent amp (OTL) if possible. Since I haven't heard the HD58X its hard to say what they will sound like but if they are close to what the graph showed in the HD58X thread then they might be the best deal around.

Some others to consider:
HE400i, HE400, HE560 (might be on the highs side even for a used one), SR-125e, SR-225e, M1060, MDR-1A, Momentum (might have to be used since new ones are still over priced to me), EL-8 open (on sale since they are being discontinued IIRC) and if you're lucky some of the older vintage stuff like my Stax SRD-34 might be good options.

If you are able to DIY with custom mods then I'd suggest something like a Nhoord Red V2 build like this:

It will cost somewhere between $250 to $400 depending on the wood cups and headband that you select but to a few of my friends that I've built these for they are quite good as an all around headphone and sound great from a phone or low power DAP like Fiio X1.

I think I will buy the He-4XX also people don't like the HD series for gaming and I will use my cans for it as well so unless the HD58X is as awesome as the graph implies I'm sticking with Hifiman

May 13, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #13,687 of 14,386
I think I will buy the He-4XX also people don't like the HD series for gaming and I will use my cans for it as well so unless the HD58X is as awesome as the graph implies I'm sticking with Hifiman
I'd be interested in you impression of the HE-4XX in relation to the SHP9500 when you have had some time with them.

May 13, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #13,688 of 14,386
I'd be interested in you impression of the HE-4XX in relation to the SHP9500 when you have had some time with them.

I'm not sure how much time it will take for me to buy them. I will wait the dollar value to go down compared to my local currency and I need to find a way to evade the 60 per cent tax over imported products, yes 60. But once I get my hands on the Hifiman I will compare them here.

May 13, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #13,689 of 14,386
I'm not sure how much time it will take for me to buy them. I will wait the dollar value to go down compared to my local currency and I need to find a way to evade the 60 per cent tax over imported products, yes 60. But once I get my hands on the Hifiman I will compare them here.
WOW, 60% tax is an outrageous amount and I though I had it bad living in Hawaii since many vendors don't ship to Hawaii and Alaska but its a minor issue compared to your taxes.

May 22, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #13,690 of 14,386
I just received 400i. Does it require some burn-in periods? What I immediately noticed is somewhat harsh treble in upper frequencies...., though it sounds very good for the price point.

May 22, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #13,691 of 14,386
I just received 400i. Does it require some burn-in periods? What I immediately noticed is somewhat harsh treble in upper frequencies...., though it sounds very good for the price point.
It does have revealing, and not the most refined treble, but with well to moderately well recorded material it should sound very good. Now if you are listening to crispy and compressed pop and rock then yes, the treble will at times be challenging to the ear. I would create an EQ cut tailored to the music where you most find the treble harsh, I.e. pop, rock, rap whatever. You could then simply defeat the EQ whenever you were listening to music that sounded less problematic on the 400i. I owned the 400i for close to a year and I remember finding the treble good overall and perfectly acceptable to very good with well recorded music.

In my mind it will be you getting used to the new signature that will likely result in you finding the treble overall fine, not mechanical burnin, but however you get there, mechanical burn-in, brain burn-in, it will occur after some time listening.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #13,692 of 14,386
They do have a little harshness in the highs, but once your ears acclimate you'l find the openness, clarity, and overall quality very satisfying. A nice option is the True-Fi software from SonarWorks - they have a specific profile for the 400i that tames the highs and brings up the bass. It's free to try.

May 22, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #13,693 of 14,386
They do have a little harshness in the highs, but once your ears acclimate you'l find the openness, clarity, and overall quality very satisfying. A nice option is the True-Fi software from SonarWorks - they have a specific profile for the 400i that tames the highs and brings up the bass. It's free to try.
The Focus Pads-A, which I bought from hifiman.com, seemed to help the harshness of the highs. If I want smoother highs, I use my Sennheiser HD600 phones.

May 23, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #13,694 of 14,386

I found burn-in did help. I also like the sound with the HM5 angled pleather pads, but since these form more of a seal than velour ones you should put them on and take them off slowly to protect the diaphram from strong air pressure changes.

After a couple of weeks the highs sounded just right. I think the bass firmed up balancing it out, but it could all be in my head.

Jun 2, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #13,695 of 14,386
Hi guys, bought both the 400S and the 400i and while they are on the way i was looking for some advices in pads (easily obtained outside USA) and a budget friendly DAC and AMP to accompany them. What do you recommend? Was thinking on the Magni3 + Modi2 combo or the new iFi nano iDSD Black label. Any suggestions on the $200 or lower range?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back