Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Apr 21, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #13,666 of 14,386
Thanks. Hehe. Will it be too late to buy He400i?

Weeell.... I don't know what kind of retailers are available in Malaysia, but in the US, there are plenty of places that still sell them for $180 to $250 USD. They are discontinued though, so the stock will eventually dry up completely.

May 7, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #13,667 of 14,386
After 2 months with the 400i I noticed a clicking/poping sound when the right cup was flexed. Don't know if planers suffer from driver flex but thats what it sounds it is. Anyways while trying to narrow down the problem ( I ruled out the pads) I notced both my yolks are cracked :frowning2: The thing is, I don't think its the cracked yolks that are making the sound...

May 7, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #13,668 of 14,386
After 2 months with the 400i I noticed a clicking/poping sound when the right cup was flexed. Don't know if planers suffer from driver flex but thats what it sounds it is. Anyways while trying to narrow down the problem ( I ruled out the pads) I notced both my yolks are cracked :frowning2: The thing is, I don't think its the cracked yolks that are making the sound...

Driver flex happens with planars. It's fairly well-documented with LCD-2s, for example. That flex, combined with very thin drivers and inconsistencies in production, led to a lot of the driver failures in early LCD-2 models. However, it's not much of a problem now that production has improved. I've had driver flex myself on the 400i, but only after listening for a few uninterrupted hours and only after I had switched the pads to ZMF Oris.

My cracked yokes never made a sound from the cracking, and they had 7 separate cracks by the end.

Driver flex requires a fairly good seal and a relatively rapid change in pressure (from putting them on or taking them off). It shouldn't happen at all while they are situated on the head.

It sounds like driver flex might be the culprit, but what do you mean "when the right cup was flexed"? The other thought I had was the the broken yoke may be physically rubbing against the outside of the cup. The clearance between the two is minuscule.

May 7, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #13,669 of 14,386
Thanks, planars are new to me so I wasn't sure if driver flex was a thing. The sound occurs any time I press the cup against my head with any type of force. Gently putting pressure on the cup does not make a sound but as soon as I release the pressure I get a pop, pushing rapidly on the cup will give rapid poping sounds. If I knew how to take apart the cans I could test it without the yolk but it really does sound like its comming from the driver and not the housing.

I have the orginal pads. This came on after a few hours long gaming sessions and I did burn in for 8+hrs straight when I first got them, so that may have has something to do with it. It's only the Right side though so it's obvously not from abuse on my part.

I've sent an email to HiFiMan support, fingers crossed.

May 7, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #13,670 of 14,386
Thanks, planars are new to me so I wasn't sure if driver flex was a thing. The sound occurs any time I press the cup against my head with any type of force. Gently putting pressure on the cup does not make a sound but as soon as I release the pressure I get a pop, pushing rapidly on the cup will give rapid poping sounds. If I knew how to take apart the cans I could test it without the yolk but it really does sound like its comming from the driver and not the housing.

I have the orginal pads. This came on after a few hours long gaming sessions and I did burn in for 8+hrs straight when I first got them, so that may have has something to do with it. It's only the Right side though so it's obvously not from abuse on my part.

I've sent an email to HiFiMan support, fingers crossed.

I had a pair that did the same thing. Made a crinkly/clicky noise when I pressed the earcups against my head (or together if not wearing them). The response I got from HFM was that driver flex shouldn't be possible (although chatting with someone else on a different site mentioned it could be since there is no way for the 400i to equalize the pressure front to back). HFM did agree there was an issue after I sent a video demonstrating what was happening. I got a replacement pair under warranty.
Overall I was fairly pleased with their customer service dealing with this, hopefully you'll get the same results

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #13,673 of 14,386
Just bought a new pair of 400i Special Editions: They came in the unopened box with a broken yolk so one entire side of the headphone wasn't even attached. The plastic on the yolk had other cracks too.
I used to have a pair a while ago that seemed to hold up fine - I actually sold my Q701's and HD800 after I bought them as I liked them that much (Until on a whim checked out a Stax L300 ... then sold everything else :p) I figured I needed a needed another open back portable headphone so I bought another set of 400i's ... but after realizing the plastic is so brittle it breaks in it's own package before it's even opened ... I'm hesitant on picking up another.

May 11, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #13,675 of 14,386
I'd like some help. I heard that the Hifiman can have a lot of detail and a very forward sound. I wonder if it hurts the musicality of the cans and can make songs sound strange and unnatural. I'm in the classical limbo of Hifiman 4xx or a HD6xx/58x.

From what I can understand the Hifiman can sound more energetic and lively compared to the HD650 but I fear that the level of detail on this headphone can force you to pay attention or put in the spotlight some instruments but lose the bigger picture of the song with frequency ranges that don't benefit from this detail.

While I fear that the HD650 can sound dull coming from the bright SHP9500, maybe the HD58X will be a nice middle ground. I will wait for the reviews to come to further decide.

May 11, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #13,676 of 14,386
I'd like some help. I heard that the Hifiman can have a lot of detail and a very forward sound. I wonder if it hurts the musicality of the cans and can make songs sound strange and unnatural. I'm in the classical limbo of Hifiman 4xx or a HD6xx/58x.

From what I can understand the Hifiman can sound more energetic and lively compared to the HD650 but I fear that the level of detail on this headphone can force you to pay attention or put in the spotlight some instruments but lose the bigger picture of the song with frequency ranges that don't benefit from this detail.

While I fear that the HD650 can sound dull coming from the bright SHP9500, maybe the HD58X will be a nice middle ground. I will wait for the reviews to come to further decide.
You have an interesting question and this is my impression between the HE400i, HD650/HD6XX, HD660S, HD598 and SHP9500. Keep in mind that some of this is from memory since I have given away my SHP9500 and HD598, modded my HE400i and only listened to the HD660S 5 times over a 6 month period.

SHP9500: it was a bit bright with a dry/lean overall sound that I didn't care for and different amps/DACs made no difference to me

HD598: one of the first "better" headphones that I got but once I listened to others like HE400 and HD650 I knew that they were not what I prefer. They are great headphones for the price and in some ways like sound stage and no mid-bass bump better than the HD650/6XX and HD600.

If you don't want to deal with amps then I suggest the HD660S, a bit over priced but since no amp is really needed its something to be considered but since I have a decent OTL amp (BH Crack) my HD650 and HD6XX do sound a touch better than the HD660S to me so I'll wait for the price of the HD660S to go down to $300 or under before I'd consider buying them.

HD650/6XX: both can be a bit too warm for some but with a proper amp they are the smoothest and easiest to listen to along with being forgiving of poorly recorded tracks

HE400i: aside from the QC issues with broken yokes they are not bad out of a phone or DAP but benefit a slightly warm SS or hybrid amp, a little more detailed and no rolled of highs like the HD650/6XX but for some they can be harsh at times. Another thing to consider is that the current version with the 2.5mm jacks sounds a little different that the older SMC jack version.

Since you didn't say what your music preferences are its hard to give a better suggestion but a few other headphones that might interest you: HD700, Grado SR225e (change the ear pads to G-cush), HE560 (can get them fairly cheap but they also have issue with the yoke breaking like the HE400i), Sundara, and EL-8 open (being discontinued so they are quite cheap these days).

May 11, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #13,677 of 14,386

My 2 cents:
Purely about the 400i - I have listened to them extensively from Cayin C5 (very nice), Xduoo XD05 (superb) and iFi iCan SE + Loki (good). Plenty of times I get lost in the music, they are a lovely set of headphones to listen to, especially when paired with the right amp. I listen to them indoors and outdoors. Honestly, I love them. There is plenty of detail but never at the expense of the listening experience. I listen to a very wide range of music BUT I am also 48 and potentially not as able to hear high frequencies as you (though I personally think I'm doing ok!)

I bought them without auditioning them (usually I audition) because the price was so good. I have only been VERY pleased I did!

May 11, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #13,678 of 14,386
My 2 cents:
Purely about the 400i - I have listened to them extensively from Cayin C5 (very nice), Xduoo XD05 (superb) and iFi iCan SE + Loki (good). Plenty of times I get lost in the music, they are a lovely set of headphones to listen to, especially when paired with the right amp. I listen to them indoors and outdoors. Honestly, I love them. There is plenty of detail but never at the expense of the listening experience. I listen to a very wide range of music BUT I am also 48 and potentially not as able to hear high frequencies as you (though I personally think I'm doing ok!)

I bought them without auditioning them (usually I audition) because the price was so good. I have only been VERY pleased I did!

First of all thanks for the help both of you, good to hear that you can get a good experience with the music without much problem with the details. Those amps you mentioned, they tend to a more warm output?

You have an interesting question and this is my impression between the HE400i, HD650/HD6XX, HD660S, HD598 and SHP9500. Keep in mind that some of this is from memory since I have given away my SHP9500 and HD598, modded my HE400i and only listened to the HD660S 5 times over a 6 month period.

SHP9500: it was a bit bright with a dry/lean overall sound that I didn't care for and different amps/DACs made no difference to me

HD598: one of the first "better" headphones that I got but once I listened to others like HE400 and HD650 I knew that they were not what I prefer. They are great headphones for the price and in some ways like sound stage and no mid-bass bump better than the HD650/6XX and HD600.

If you don't want to deal with amps then I suggest the HD660S, a bit over priced but since no amp is really needed its something to be considered but since I have a decent OTL amp (BH Crack) my HD650 and HD6XX do sound a touch better than the HD660S to me so I'll wait for the price of the HD660S to go down to $300 or under before I'd consider buying them.

HD650/6XX: both can be a bit too warm for some but with a proper amp they are the smoothest and easiest to listen to along with being forgiving of poorly recorded tracks

HE400i: aside from the QC issues with broken yokes they are not bad out of a phone or DAP but benefit a slightly warm SS or hybrid amp, a little more detailed and no rolled of highs like the HD650/6XX but for some they can be harsh at times. Another thing to consider is that the current version with the 2.5mm jacks sounds a little different that the older SMC jack version.

Since you didn't say what your music preferences are its hard to give a better suggestion but a few other headphones that might interest you: HD700, Grado SR225e (change the ear pads to G-cush), HE560 (can get them fairly cheap but they also have issue with the yoke breaking like the HE400i), Sundara, and EL-8 open (being discontinued so they are quite cheap these days).
I think this is important: I'm kinda sensitive to treble, not so much tho. I can get fatigue on some songs with the SHP9500, do you think if the Hifiman has even more treble fatiguing potential?

I'd love to buy more expensive headphones like the Sundara but by max budget is limited to 200 dollars (which means I can't buy a expensive amp right now, I'm leaning towards the FX-audio Dac X6 which is kinda warm), I don't have problem buying used cans as well.
I listen to so much different stuff, but mostly Rock (from indie rock to post-punk or even classical rock from Beatles to Fleetwood Mac), I don't really like metal or it's sub styles. Sometimes I can touch jazz (mostly big band with energetic drums and trumpets), classical (from piano to orquestras) and even lo-fi rap (a lot of lush and chill sounds, the SHP are dry but I got used to it, just increasing the low end a tad bit with EQ is acceptable for me, so I think I don't need too much bass), I also listen to some acoustics like Eric Clapton, Neil Young etc.
I have to decide which of these genres I prefer so I can choose a headphone that benefits them. But I listen mostly to the rock, big band and lo-fi rap songs.

I'm leaning towards the Hifiman He4xx, but some songs like Jesus Etc. from Wilco and Harvest Moon from Neil Young must sound so amazingly beautiful on the HD650 (If you have one pair laying around, I'd love if you tested it with these songs and gave an impression), it's an experience I plan to have someday as well.
If you have other suggestion under 200 or close to it I'm open I think (I'd prefer a open set of cans). What put me in this confusion were some quotes like: the Hifiman has is great with all detail but the HD650 has more musicality, more pleasure while listening.

May 11, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #13,679 of 14,386
First of all thanks for the help both of you, good to hear that you can get a good experience with the music without much problem with the details. Those amps you mentioned, they tend to a more warm output?

I think this is important: I'm kinda sensitive to treble, not so much tho. I can get fatigue on some songs with the SHP9500, do you think if the Hifiman has even more treble fatiguing potential?

I'd love to buy more expensive headphones like the Sundara but by max budget is limited to 200 dollars (which means I can't buy a expensive amp right now, I'm leaning towards the FX-audio Dac X6 which is kinda warm), I don't have problem buying used cans as well.
I listen to so much different stuff, but mostly Rock (from indie rock to post-punk or even classical rock from Beatles to Fleetwood Mac), I don't really like metal or it's sub styles. Sometimes I can touch jazz (mostly big band with energetic drums and trumpets), classical (from piano to orquestras) and even lo-fi rap (a lot of lush and chill sounds, the SHP are dry but I got used to it, just increasing the low end a tad bit with EQ is acceptable for me, so I think I don't need too much bass), I also listen to some acoustics like Eric Clapton, Neil Young etc.
I have to decide which of these genres I prefer so I can choose a headphone that benefits them. But I listen mostly to the rock, big band and lo-fi rap songs.

I'm leaning towards the Hifiman He4xx, but some songs like Jesus Etc. from Wilco and Harvest Moon from Neil Young must sound so amazingly beautiful on the HD650 (If you have one pair laying around, I'd love if you tested it with these songs and gave an impression), it's an experience I plan to have someday as well.
If you have other suggestion under 200 or close to it I'm open I think (I'd prefer a open set of cans). What put me in this confusion were some quotes like: the Hifiman has is great with all detail but the HD650 has more musicality, more pleasure while listening.

Sounds like we listen to the same variety of music.

I'm sensitive to treble too. My HE-400i were a hair bright when I first got them but either I got used to it, they broke in, or the HM5 pads I added helped, or a combo of all three fixed.

I highly enjoy a pair Senn Momentum over ear for my commute. Accurate but "soft" sound compared to the HE-400i. They are suppossed to have a similar signature to the HD650 but in a closed can. Very pleasant and musical. But I can't wait to get home and listen to the planars.

The HE-400i are on another level. Like I can't imagine what a better headphone would offer (although I know if I tried one I would then know and start saving, lol.) Extremely clear but rarely harsh unless the source material is. I tried the HE-400S and enjoyed it too . . . a bit less bright, but had trouble getting a pair without issues.

Note that many headphone manufacturers adjust the sound of their headphones by adding foam or fabric in front of the drivers. You can do the same if you feel the headphone is a little bright.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #13,680 of 14,386
@Electrolite , If you can handle the brightness of the SHP9500 I don't think the HE400i would bother you but I'd also consider what @Loneract suggested about ear pads, foam/fabric if the treble is too much for you. Like you I like a fairly wide range of genres but favorites are jazz, pop from 70-80, classical, rock, Kpop, and Jpop and one reason I have kept many different headphones since they each tend to do well but I also like how each headphone has its own unique way of presenting a track. Here's an old picture that I took a few years back since my old GF said I have too many headphones and that they wouldn't fit on my living room table:
Table-Top-2.jpg
And she was right since there are 8-10 missing from this image IIRC.
I have to leave right now to play golf but I'll get back with some suggestions later today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back