Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Nov 9, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #13,231 of 14,386
Will someone kindly compare these two eq settings files in Equalizer APO or wherever and tell me which one sounds better to them. I've gone back and forth. They both seem to try to accomplish the same thing. Please compare and let me know.

Attachments

• HE400i EQ 7.28 APO Q (Brad).txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 0
  • HE400i Q (choi).txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 0
Nov 11, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #13,232 of 14,386
Got my Mimby paired with my 400i's and the combination is great. Silky smooth mids and great treble without losing it's accentuation and detail. Pairs real nice with these cans once it's warmed up. Will try it with a glass optical cable to see if I notice any differences (probably lower noise floor). These are my absolute favorite cans for mids. I'll have to see if the HD700's that I ordered will beat the 400i on all counts.

Nov 12, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #13,233 of 14,386
Got my Mimby paired with my 400i's and the combination is great. Silky smooth mids and great treble without losing it's accentuation and detail. Pairs real nice with these cans once it's warmed up. Will try it with a glass optical cable to see if I notice any differences (probably lower noise floor). These are my absolute favorite cans for mids. I'll have to see if the HD700's that I ordered will beat the 400i on all counts.
Might also want to note that you are using a Magni2 along with the Mimby since its only a DAC and had to think about it a bit. Looked in your profile to see that you have an amp to go with the Mimby.

Nov 12, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #13,234 of 14,386
Might also want to note that you are using a Magni2 along with the Mimby since its only a DAC and had to think about it a bit. Looked in your profile to see that you have an amp to go with the Mimby.

Yeah Magni 3 actually with the Mimby which creates a good level of lushness. Steve Lacy's music sounds superb on these cans now.

Nov 12, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #13,236 of 14,386
Nov 16, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #13,237 of 14,386
hi everyone, its been a while since i popped in here, I'm very busy atm . i just received the ZMF Ori Pads – Lambskin from a massdrop order and i did put them on and i must say that they did improve the sound ALOT , they are more balanced now with a bit deeper lows and somehow they improved the sound all around.
these ZMF PADS really made these cans something else and they are a great investment imo.

HE400I on steroids
i

Nov 16, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #13,238 of 14,386
fwiw, bit strange companies don't seem to put the effort to design pads. You'd think they'd want to maximize performance, and it appears that the stock pads pretty much suck compared to most 3rd party pads out there. The cost difference between manufacturing their stock pads vs 3rd party pads shouldn't be that high, and since they affect performance so much, in cost/performance it should be an obvious improvement... Some pads are 40$ new, so even adding 20$ to a 300$ would be nothing if it really improved things that much...!

AKG Q701 had a sticker mod where they put a sticker to cover a hole/port, and modders found that removing the sticker improved performance quite a bit... But in that case, it's not even of adding or improving something, it's just not sticking on a sticker that hurts performance!

Don't know what they're thinking sometimes! Well either that, or they know something we don't... Or maybe the effect of pads isn't that great? There's many positive reports about upgrade cables, while many will say that it's just placebo... Only having stock pads on my headphones, I wonder if it's really all that better or...

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #13,239 of 14,386
fwiw, bit strange companies don't seem to put the effort to design pads. You'd think they'd want to maximize performance, and it appears that the stock pads pretty much suck compared to most 3rd party pads out there. The cost difference between manufacturing their stock pads vs 3rd party pads shouldn't be that high, and since they affect performance so much, in cost/performance it should be an obvious improvement... Some pads are 40$ new, so even adding 20$ to a 300$ would be nothing if it really improved things that much...!

AKG Q701 had a sticker mod where they put a sticker to cover a hole/port, and modders found that removing the sticker improved performance quite a bit... But in that case, it's not even of adding or improving something, it's just not sticking on a sticker that hurts performance!

Don't know what they're thinking sometimes! Well either that, or they know something we don't... Or maybe the effect of pads isn't that great? There's many positive reports about upgrade cables, while many will say that it's just placebo... Only having stock pads on my headphones, I wonder if it's really all that better or...

While different pads will normally change the sound on most headphones its not always for the better and it depends on what you are looking for when doing the change. With the HE400i most seem to want more bass impact and sometimes a different pad will boost the bass but it also possible that its expectation bias unless there are measurements to confirm differences. If you are changing pads for better comfort then some will over look a change in the sound signature due to the better comfort since its a higher priority for that individual. For me the stock Focus pads are a good balance between sound and comfort, I've tried pads that are more comfortable but they messed up the sound signature too much IMO and I've also tried pads that sound great but I'm giving some comfort in the process (all leather pads get hot too quickly for me here in Hawaii near the beach) so I've stayed with the Focus pads. One thing I noticed is the shape of ones head, clamping force, shape of ear pads, padding within the pads, and ones hair has a effect on the sound, good or bad it depends on the individual.

Nov 16, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #13,240 of 14,386
So I have a question: the left ear lost signal on my he400i so I sent them in and got a replacement, but the cups on these phones swivel on the yokes very loosely like an old floppy ... uh nvm. Any idea how to tighten the swivel?

Nov 17, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #13,242 of 14,386

Basically what @DavidA said about the pads; confirmation bias and personal preferences are a real thing.

I've found this @zolkis quote rather eloquent about the whole subject:
Pads are part of the acoustic environment, and may change the sound sig in similar way (but to lesser extent) as a listening room is changing the sound sig of speakers. You get air volume, shape, damping mass, acoustic impedance, reflections etc. It is mostly the harmonic structure that may change, the FR to a lesser extent, though it may be subjectively enough for a change. Like listening rooms don't make bad speakers sound good, pads won't make a bad headphone sound good, but may make a good one sound great, ...

I think the stock Focuspads are quite good (quality could be a bit better/stitching isn't exactly the longest lasting), there's quite a few worse options available, and obviously arguably minutely better ones suiting your personal preferences. The whole pad-rolling on the HiFiMAN-line hasn't reached a consensus that exactly these and these pads are the best for any particular headphone; they're just subjective opinions.
Unless you're an obsessive hobbyist, and want to spend some time and money for tweaking the sound a bit - for better or worse, and get a kick out of it, do your pad-rolling, otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

Additionally, AKG has different foam/dampening for US customers vs. the rest of the world to tune the sound to a more bassy one in some models, the Sennheiser charade of 555->595... The list goes on and on. There's always decisions made by companies which affect the sound motivated by various reasons, and compromises are made.
I found the best results of the Q701 bass port mod for me, with not by removing the sticker fully, but by doing a small hole on a/the sticker :p

Nov 17, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #13,243 of 14,386
I got he400 today. I'm quite impressed. Previously I have had a disappointing audition with hifimans but now that I have had More Time to listen to these...wow. I guess these are one of those headphones that take some Time to adjust to ones audio memory and expectations. For these current prices these are an absolute bargain. I't has Been a while a while since I owned hd600 but I can clearly hear why some people consider these sennheiser killers.

Nov 17, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #13,244 of 14,386
I got he400 today. I'm quite impressed. Previously I have had a disappointing audition with hifimans but now that I have had More Time to listen to these...wow. I guess these are one of those headphones that take some Time to adjust to ones audio memory and expectations. For these current prices these are an absolute bargain. I't has Been a while a while since I owned hd600 but I can clearly hear why some people consider these sennheiser killers.

I agree man. My hope is you got them under $200? If so, you’re spot on. Don’t think there’s a better deal out there right now.
I truly didn’t like them when I first got them as I would consider myself a borderline bass head ( gotta be clean, fast and sassy) but after some headtime,
I not only like these HP’s, I luv um.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back