Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Nov 19, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #13,262 of 14,386
I haven't played with them yet. Since the velour pads don't click as bad I've just been listening with those.

I have to think it probably has to be due to the oval pads on a round ring. The pleather, being stiffer and heavier, probably cause the rings to flex more. I also don't think having the vinyl being so close to the clips helps either. I'll need to do some trimming - not the velour however, they belong to my Grados. Basically my whole plan was to just see which pair I liked better and get the round version anyways.
I have my angled pads on the stretching rig (dead HP150 baffles) right now, but that looks like a no go. They need to stretch way too much and I doubt the rings could handle the stress.
I'll also keep my eyes open for any other 3rd party earpads. Hopefully there will be some sales upcoming - I'm not paying over $100 for earpads on a pair of headphones that I paid $300 CAP (Canadian Pesos) for.

Nov 19, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #13,263 of 14,386
What bitrate are you guys playing at? I just subscribed to Tidal and I definitely notice a quality difference. I think I'm going to have to start ripping some CD's because these cans can really start to pick up detail that was once only heard with the stock Focus Pads (since they were more airy by their very design). I'm also noticing my HD700's are sounding a hell of a lot better with better source material. I might have to redo my whole collection since a lot of it is low quality 128-160 MP3s.

Nov 19, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #13,264 of 14,386
What bitrate are you guys playing at? I just subscribed to Tidal and I definitely notice a quality difference. I think I'm going to have to start ripping some CD's because these cans can really start to pick up detail that was once only heard with the stock Focus Pads (since they were more airy by their very design). I'm also noticing my HD700's are sounding a hell of a lot better with better source material. I might have to redo my whole collection since a lot of it is low quality 128-160 MP3s.
256 AAC & 320 MP3 are as low as I go and they are hard to tell vs FLAC. I also use ALAC which is pretty much the same as FLAC quality. I recently read that 256 AAC encoding is actually better than 320 MP3 despite the lower bit rate. I remember years ago playing 2Pac "Changes" that was a 128kbps rip vs a 320 rip and the 128 I could easily hear the difference in tonality with the piano. Pretty shocking to my ears and that was through some ATH-M50's out of my Dell soundcard lol

Nov 19, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #13,265 of 14,386
256 AAC & 320 MP3 are as low as I go and they are hard to tell vs FLAC. I also use ALAC which is pretty much the same as FLAC quality. I recently read that 256 AAC encoding is actually better than 320 MP3 despite the lower bit rate. I remember years ago playing 2Pac "Changes" that was a 128kbps rip vs a 320 rip and the 128 I could easily hear the difference in tonality with the piano. Pretty shocking to my ears and that was through some ATH-M50's out of my Dell soundcard lol

That's what I get for ripping my audio. Respectfully, disagree with not being able to hear the differences with FLAC. For most music, I agree as I've run ABX tests on Foobar but other then that certain albums like old Daft Punk albums and some Classical music benefits from FLAC rips.

Nov 19, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #13,266 of 14,386
That's what I get for ripping my audio. Respectfully, disagree with not being able to hear the differences with FLAC. For most music, I agree as I've run ABX tests on Foobar but other then that certain albums like old Daft Punk albums and some Classical music benefits from FLAC rips.
That is true that the original Mastering does play a part, Daft Punk makes wonderfully mastered music

Nov 19, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #13,268 of 14,386
How would you set up an ABX test in foobar?

You download the ABX plugin off Foobars site:n http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Components_0.9/foo_abx

Once it's installed, reboot Foobar and then call up the plugin and load up two songs you want to begin comparing. The program will then randomly pick between the two songs and then you got to press either A or B to pick which song you think you heard. After 15 attempts it will generate a report on how many you picked correctly. 80% is a good number to aim for. Lower then that and you can't tell the difference between the lower quality version of the song and the higher quality.

I first used it to compare Drake's songs ripped directly to FLAC and 320KBPS. Didn't notice a difference but at the time I wasn't using the best equipment. As I slowly build up my collection I go back and try to do the tests again.

You can pick from a portion of the song you want to loop or hear the entire song. I usually want to listen to certain parts that can easily be picked up in higher quality recordings or masterings like reverbs, cymbals, airyiness in someone's voice, etc.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #13,269 of 14,386

I've ripped all my music into 2 formats: FLAC and 320cbr, stored on a server

Downloaded music varies: 256 variable is the lowest but with most POP music it really doesn't matter much to me, mostly 24/96 FLAC or 44.1/24 FLAC

How would you set up an ABX test in foobar?
Another way that you might consider is to use Audacity to create clips of different bit rates and see if you can hear the effect of different compression levels

Nov 21, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #13,271 of 14,386
Hi. I had the click with original rings and HM5 pleather. I'm gonna try to describe what caused it with my bad english. First see the ring as two rings joined together. What happened for me was that the edge of the lip holding the pads to the ring lined up with the inner rings outer edge, just a little movement made the edge of the lip fall of the rings edge striking it like like a plectrum striking a string. What I did was stretch the pads lips so they became softer and also made the edge ride longer in on the inner ring, eliminating the chans of the lips edge to fall of the edge of the ring. I hope my explenation makes sens.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #13,273 of 14,386
Nov 22, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #13,274 of 14,386
I was having trouble finding many reviews on the 400i vs the 560.
Own the 400 and the 400i.
The few articles I've read seem to suggest that the. 560 has less bass and more clarity than the 400i. Does this sum it up.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Nov 22, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #13,275 of 14,386
From what I gathered when comparing, the 560 is on the brighter side due to the increased treble

On another note, was hoping ZMF would be having a BF deal on the Ori pads lol. No such luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back