Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 20, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #10,531 of 14,386
Might want to look at other headphone with those characteristics to start, like a TH-610/TH-X00.

I did look at those, but ultimately was pretty happy with the 400I. I also don't always boost the bass that much, just helps electronic music.

Haven't been using these as much now that I have Lcd 2 and Nighthawk. I do up the bass similarly on the Lcd 2's as well for electronic. And they sound great like that too.

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #10,532 of 14,386
I did look at those, but ultimately was pretty happy with the 400I. I also don't always boost the bass that much, just helps electronic music.

Haven't been using these as much now that I have Lcd 2 and Nighthawk. I do up the bass similarly on the Lcd 2's as well for electronic. And they sound great like that too.

Are you pre-cutting the gain? That much of a push up without pre-cutting will definitely induce some digital clipping.

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #10,535 of 14,386

Must.. refrain.. from.. commenting.. And babbling, and creating OT.

Bah. Go for it! The LCD-X seems like the intuitive next step/endgame headphone for people who like the 400i. Personally, I'd love to hear some impressions on the LCD-X in light of the 400i.

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #10,536 of 14,386

Bah. Go for it! The LCD-X seems like the intuitive next step/endgame headphone for people who like the 400i. Personally, I'd love to hear some impressions on the LCD-X in light of the 400i.

Gah! I don't know if some way-too-early and egg-cited ramblings are worth anybodys time. I should just concentrate on these cans for a while, structure some thoughts, and actually A/B as the echoic memory has too many faults. I look forward to the journey.

I've noticed myself already typing several sentences, and eventually deleting them, as thoughts seem to spring like mushrooms after the rain, and some feelings seem to collide and cancel each other out. Lovely!

I'll pm you for an example, so I won't mess up the thread here :p

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #10,537 of 14,386

Gah! I don't know if some way-too-early and egg-cited ramblings are worth anybodys time. I should just concentrate on these cans for a while, structure some thoughts, and actually A/B as the echoic memory has too many faults. I look forward to the journey.

I've noticed myself already typing several sentences, and eventually deleting them, as thoughts seem to spring like mushrooms after the rain, and some feelings seem to collide and cancel each other out. Lovely!

I'll pm you for an example, so I won't mess up the thread here :p

A raincheck then. I can wait. My wallet needs to recuperate after this holiday season anyway. But, I hope you'll share your thoughts once you have had some time to organize them. Happy listening.

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #10,538 of 14,386

A raincheck then. I can wait. My wallet needs to recuperate after this holiday season anyway. But, I hope you'll share your thoughts once you have had some time to organize them. Happy listening.

Thanks!
I should probably do a structured approach via a comparative method to actually gather my thoughts, eh?
Trying to get as much head-time as possible during this and next week, as I'll be off for 3 weeks from New Years. Then it's either 3 weeks ear-rest, or a decision to grab the tiny and lovely HiFiMAN travel case with 400i, or this other not-so-tiny case with the different goodie.

Dec 20, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #10,539 of 14,386
 If it changed from L->R when you put on the headphones backwards, it's your ear.

What?  No!  It's coming from the left driver, so if you're wearing the the left driver on your right ear and vice versa and it's distorting/rattling from the right; definitely the left (as per labeled on headphone) driver!  100% sure :wink:

Quote:

You said your source was "PC (flac) -> Modi -> Magni". The YouTube song is in turd-quality. It can't be mastered like that. Couldn't find the track either from Spotify/Tidal, so can't confirm that. If a YouTube song has "HQ" in it, believe me, it's not in high quality. There's a definitive peak in 400i's treble, but as my post pointed out/wondered; could it be that your source is to blame?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtgF2q-zEmU

Youtube audio quality is highly dependent on the quality you're playing your videos at, often varies, but usually at 480p it's 128kbps and 720+ you're at 192kbps.  Try it at 1080p, it's really not that different than the original.  Also doubt it's the Schiits as the Q701 & HD598, AKG 550, etc., doesn't seem to have the same effect.  None of that strident high frequency noise which permeates the song with 400i...  :\

And the left ear distortion is back, albeit bit less evident but noticeable at ~300 and 500-600hz... Comes and goes...  Sigh...  *cries*  Think I'll definitely be exchanging...

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #10,541 of 14,386

I was thinking that if you boosted the bass all the time it would be better served by headphones that have the boosted qualites to start with but since you don't always use the boost then not an issue.

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #10,544 of 14,386
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtgF2q-zEmU

Youtube audio quality is highly dependent on the quality you're playing your videos at, often varies, but usually at 480p it's 128kbps and 720+ you're at 192kbps.  Try it at 1080p, it's really not that different than the original.  Also doubt it's the Schiits as the Q701 & HD598, AKG 550, etc., doesn't seem to have the same effect.  None of that strident high frequency noise which permeates the song with 400i...  :\

And the left ear distortion is back, albeit bit less evident but noticeable at ~300 and 500-600hz... Comes and goes...  Sigh...  *cries*  Think I'll definitely be exchanging...

Yup, I thought your L/R description sounded like a driver or an ear mismatch. Which is it, rattling or distortion?

I think I won't comment about the production values of some 80's hair metal meant for radio power play. It sounds tinny and thin for me, with any of my headphones, the 400i certainly doesn't help with any of that, I have to admit :p
Additionally, like you said it yourself, YouTube is questionable quality at its best, depending on the uploaders technical "prowess" or the lack-of.

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #10,545 of 14,386
Power cycle all of your gear, DCing it from the wall as well for a moment. Just to be sure (my mimby RARELY has this issue)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back