Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 18, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #10,501 of 14,386

These require a 2.5mm cord going to each ear separately. The BoomPro, if I am not mistaken, is a 3.5mm meant to go into one side. If that is the case, it won't work with the 400i.

No, it won't work. Have you checked out the Antlion Mod Mic?

Thanks guys, I'll check out the mod mic.

Still wondering about the sound signatures though! Thanks again.

Dec 19, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #10,503 of 14,386
Pulled the trigger for one of these.

I had a hard time deciding on which one to choose HD 650 vs HE 400i.

Then saw the amazon sale and other dealers, pulled the trigger.

Hopefully, it arrives in one piece (having it delivered via a forwarding company).

Wish me luck and thank you guys for the wonderful readings!

Dec 19, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #10,504 of 14,386
I'm having a hard time believing the Lyr 2 was floor wiped by the jot.

Is the Jot really that good as a stand-alone amp?

The Jot is a better all than the Lyr2, yes. Also, the Jot is a stand alone amp with a DAC sort of thrown in there. I certainly wouldn't consider it as a typical combo unit, because the DAC section is pretty average while the amp is world class.

I think Schitt is in the process of completely overhauling their lineup, because the new products (Jot, Modi Multibit, Fulla2) have seriously disrupted their hierarchy. I think the Jot is closer to the mjolnir than the Lyr2 is to the Jot. The Modi Multibit is better than the bifrost 4490 and equal to the bimby. The Fulla2 makes the Modi/magni stack completely pointless. Schitt has openly said they aim to release the best product they can at the lowest price they can, lineup continuity and sales cannibalization be danged.

Dec 19, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #10,506 of 14,386
@fjrabon

how does the 400i sound with grace m9xx ?

i have the m9xx with 400s now, thinking of selling the 400s & upgrading to 400i

thanks in advace :)

Very good. The m9XX helps fend off any harshness and together they're very dynamic. I will admit that a friend has had my HE400i for about 3 months now, and I'll probably end up selling them to him. So might be about time to sign out of this thread.

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #10,507 of 14,386
Very good. The m9XX helps fend off any harshness and together they're very dynamic. I will admit that a friend has had my HE400i for about 3 months now, and I'll probably end up selling them to him. So might be about time to sign out of this thread.

Thanks mate.

Will save up same money and hunt for a used 400i in my local community then

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #10,508 of 14,386
Thanks mate.

Will save up same money and hunt for a used 400i in my local community then

Cheers :beerchug:

They should be selling new for $250 right now (or will on dec 21st, if not) which is usually the same price they sell for used.

Dec 19, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #10,509 of 14,386
Looking at a couple of amps for sale to use with my 400i's.grace mxx9 and a burson ha 160ds.both similar price.reading reviews for the two the grace seems to match well with the 400i's but i was wondering if the burson would be too powerful for the 400i's as there is no gain button on the burson and i am worried that i would have very little play in the volume button before i reached an adaquate volume. the grace seems to be the opposite in that the volume needs to be up in the 80/90(intentionally designed by grace it seems) range for a decent volume.many thanks for any comments. John

Dec 19, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #10,510 of 14,386
Looking at a couple of amps for sale to use with my 400i's.grace mxx9 and a burson ha 160ds.both similar price.reading reviews for the two the grace seems to match well with the 400i's but i was wondering if the burson would be too powerful for the 400i's as there is no gain button on the burson and i am worried that i would have very little play in the volume button before i reached an adaquate volume. the grace seems to be the opposite in that the volume needs to be up in the 80/90(intentionally designed by grace it seems) range for a decent volume.many thanks for any comments. John

When I was using the HE400i with the m9XX, I rarely ventured much above 75 with the m9XX.  I only used 80+ when I was applying EQ that had a 10dB cut to avoid clipping.

Dec 19, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #10,511 of 14,386

I'm having somewhat the same reaction.  Got these today, so zero burn-in.  Listening to some tracks, there is definitely a bit of harshness in the highs (~13khz).  It's often perceivable with vocals.  It doesn't seem to be so severe that it's constant and will be introduced constantly by the headphones, but where in the recordings there is a slight harshness, these do seem to bring out it; bit more in evidence.  For this particular issue Senn 598 < AKG Q701 < HE400i.  Hopefully will mellow out burn-in...  But on the upside, while it can be somewhat distracting on some vocals, it does seem to give some twang to strings, ex; acoustic guitar, or any type of electronic/bell type sound.  
Listening to more tracks, it definitely doesn't happen on every or even most recordings, seems more limited to some recordings...  Hmmm.. I'm actually not even sure it's the headphones now, as some have none of it...  Or maybe it's related to the dynamic vs magnetic planar?  An example of a song where there is no voice harshness on Q701, but definitely noticeable harshness on HE400i; Def Leppard's Women; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtgF2q-zEmU  Actually throughout the entire song you can hear the sort of constant hashness; a sort of overtone...  :/

PC (flac) -> Modi -> Magni

Could it be that you're distracted by the resolution of 400i vs. the Q701?
With Q701, different (re)-masters/mixes did not matter anywhere near as much as it does on the 400i. Your ranking with the headphones do seem to suggest that - technically less capable headphone can deal better with a lower quality source, and not reveal the flaws. Otherwise, the attack/decay properties of 400i can create an unnatural feel, especially to vocals - depending even more so on the actual mix. This could be called 'metallic', 'harsh', 'grainy' etc.

Otherwise, I feel that the Q701 brightness is unbearable, where as with 400i (backplateless) is manageable. Too much for some, I have to admit.

Sorry of late response!

Nah sorry I don't think it's due to Planar...  I think it's just a treble peak on the headphone + the same peak on certain recordings, seems to happen a bit, a particular headphone/speaker which sounds off with some particular recordings, when both have some additive dip/peak.  Did anybody else listen to to the quoted track and noticed the same thing with theirs?

Btw, I think the 400i are definitely more detailed than the Q701 and Senn hd598.  The 598s sound quite low-fi in comparison.  And it is very interesting how many of the boring tracks on say AKG 550s or others become much more interesting, just by being more detailed, what seemed like a bit bland music is much more enjoyable when you can actually focus on any particular, now quite detailed sound, makes hearing every record a new experience!

Dec 19, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #10,512 of 14,386
Oh and btw has anyone had some rattling/distortion issues?  I've noticed again some intermittent* distortion coming from the left channel; most often associated with some mid frequency... Noticed it a few times but it seemed to come and go... But when it was clearly happening, I played a frequency sweep (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNf9nzvnd1k) it was clear as day...  Definite vibration/distortion coming from the left driver...   So I filled a return/exchange form, seeing there was a clear issue with them.  But a bit later I just shacked them a bit and did a bit of light tapping, and it seems to have fixed the issue and now the frequency sweep is quite clean and I didn't notice anymore distortion since in the maybe 3h since then...   (at least for now...)

blink.gif

So now I'm a bit uncertain as to follow through with the exchange, or just keep them and keep my fingers crossed...  It would also be possible that since they now sound OK, that the dealer tests them, notices no issue, and that messes up the exchange...  But if I keep them, it might also get worse...  I think since they're a week old, might be easier to return them now than having to deal with hifiman later...  Thoughts? 

*intermittent:  Also at first I wasn't sure it was coming from the headphone; maybe it was the noisy wire, a movement, the recording or amp/connection, my imagination or my ear messing up, etc.. Also I did notice it stayed on the left driver even when I switched the L/R wire, then distorted from the right if I inverted (L->R R->L) the headphone...  And again, sweep made it very obvious...  Almost wish they kept distorting instead of having the shake/tap fix them...  :p

Dec 20, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #10,515 of 14,386
  Sorry of late response!

Did anybody else listen to to the quoted track and noticed the same thing with theirs?

You said your source was "PC (flac) -> Modi -> Magni". The YouTube song is in turd-quality. It can't be mastered like that. Couldn't find the track either from Spotify/Tidal, so can't confirm that. If a YouTube song has "HQ" in it, believe me, it's not in high quality. There's a definitive peak in 400i's treble, but as my post pointed out/wondered; could it be that your source is to blame?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back