Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 17, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #10,472 of 14,386
If you can swing the money, upgrade to the Modi Multibit. If budget is a big concern, grab the new Fulla2 (unless you need the different input options of the modi2uber. Honestly, given the full2, there's just no reason whatsoever to own the modi2 nonuber version. I'd go for the Vali2 over the magni.

The Modi/magni stack, imho, sits in an awkward position in Schitt's lineup right now. Not enough of an upgrade over the Fulla2, and far exceeded by the Modi Multibit and Vali2 above it.

Another option is the audioquest Dragonfly (black or red are fine, I have the red and love it).

A step up from there would be the Grace m9XX and Chord Mojo.

Is the Grace m9xx really better than the Modi Multi with the Vali 2?

Dec 17, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #10,473 of 14,386
Maybe the 400i is a good choice for Senn, or maybe there are better choices, David's just trying to find out a bit more about Senn's needs.

To make this more clear. I own the Sennheiser HD 600 and I am just looking for a headphone with a neutral sound somewhat similar to the HD600, not exactly the same. I mainly listen to death metal, some rock like pink floyd, red hot chili peppers, and also some rap. I prefer neutral sound over anything else because I like to hear the music how it was actually played.

Dec 17, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #10,474 of 14,386

I don't quite understand your question then, if you like the HD-600's sound signature why are you looking for another headphone that sounds like it?  Am I missing something?

He may not own the HD600 & the HE400i is cheaper. He actually asked if the HE400i is comparable to the HD600. Maybe he is trying to decide which to buy. Must we explain why we are asking questions here? 

kev

Actually, yes. It can help us give informed, helpful answers...:)

Dec 17, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #10,475 of 14,386
To make this more clear. I own the Sennheiser HD 600 and I am just looking for a headphone with a neutral sound somewhat similar to the HD600, not exactly the same. I mainly listen to death metal, some rock like pink floyd, red hot chili peppers, and also some rap. I prefer neutral sound over anything else because I like to hear the music how it was actually played.

I have a 400i on order so can't give my impressions, but I've read a fair bit and it's supposed to be reasonably neutral, but it will be different to the 600. With that, and the music you listen to, I'd think it would be a good choice.

If you were after more warmth, the 650 would probably be recommended, if you wanted more bass, the X2.

Dec 17, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #10,476 of 14,386
Is the Grace m9xx really better than the Modi Multi with the Vali 2?

It's more different than it is upgrade. Between them it will mostly depend on form factor needs and feature wants.

Dec 17, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #10,477 of 14,386
I actually rate the 400i's and for a more elevated sound the HE-350's (dynamic) with the electronic mod are more lively. They make a great pair

Dec 17, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #10,478 of 14,386
I am planning to buy the Sennheiser HD700 to replace my Hifiman HE400i. 

I really like the sound of Hifiman HE400i, but they are not the most comfortable. Hifiman gets really uncomfortable after an hour of use.

I like fast sound more than laid back warm sound, I don't have an opportunity listen to the headphone before I buy them.
My amp is Audio-gd nfb11.

Will it be a disappointment in terms of sound if I buy the Sennheiser HD700 (compared to HE400i)?

Please share your thoughts.

Dec 17, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #10,479 of 14,386

I really like the sound of Hifiman HE400i, but they are not the most comfortable. Hifiman gets really uncomfortable after an hour of use.

I like fast sound more than laid back warm sound, I don't have an opportunity listen to the headphone before I buy them.

Will it be a disappointment in terms of sound if I buy the Sennheiser HD700 (compared to HE400i)?

Get the HD 600.

Dec 17, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #10,480 of 14,386
Originally Posted by jamescheru /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sorry I'm asking a question, not answering yours - how do you find the NFB 11 with the 400i? Is it a little bright, or fairly neutral?

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #10,481 of 14,386
The audio-gd is in shipping, so I cannot comment on that. I used my Hifiman with my portable player Astell & Kern AK Jr.

It was a sweet combination. Never harsh and with a lot of detail. Even though there was sibilance at times, its not something that you will notice and not ear piercing.

AK Jr has a lot of details at all volume levels.

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #10,482 of 14,386

The HD-700 is more comfortable and its not laid back so you might really like it.  The only concern is I've haven't heard my HD-700 on a NFB-11 so I don't know how it will sound paired, if anything it might be a bit on the bright side with most SS amps that are considered neutral which IIRC the NFB-11 are.  Many that like the HD-700 have tubes somewhere in their audio chain so you might want to consider that in the future.

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #10,483 of 14,386
  The HD-700 is more comfortable and its not laid back so you might really like it.  The only concern is I've haven't heard my HD-700 on a NFB-11 so I don't know how it will sound paired, if anything it might be a bit on the bright side with most SS amps that are considered neutral which IIRC the NFB-11 are.  Many that like the HD-700 have tubes somewhere in their audio chain so you might want to consider that in the future.

I ordered the Audio-gd to be used with the Hifiman. I think i have to somehow cancel the order or sell the Audio-gd if they don't pair well with HD700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back