Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 20, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #10,516 of 14,386
  How do i get the mounting rings for the he400i the easiest and cheapest way?
Looking at James FR with the HM5 Angled Pleather Pads i wanna try them!
I dont wanna rip the focus pads apart just for the rings.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/698974/hifiman-he-400i-impressions-and-discussion/10080#post_13030589
http://www.head-fi.org/t/698974/hifiman-he-400i-impressions-and-discussion/10020#post_13025156

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #10,520 of 14,386
So might be about time to sign out of this thread.

Would be an end of an era! It's still your fault I got the 400i+m9XX combo.

When I was using the HE400i with the m9XX, I rarely ventured much above 75 with the m9XX.  I only used 80+ when I was applying EQ that had a 10dB cut to avoid clipping.

And can confirm about the m9XX, no problems whatsoever with the volume pot, for anybody. Ranging from early morning 55~ish with 6dB cut, and I never go beyond 75.

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #10,521 of 14,386
  *intermittent:  Also at first I wasn't sure it was coming from the headphone; maybe it was the noisy wire, a movement, the recording or amp/connection, my imagination or my ear messing up, etc.. Also I did notice it stayed on the left driver even when I switched the L/R wire, then distorted from the right if I inverted (L->R R->L) the headphone...  And again, sweep made it very obvious...  Almost wish they kept distorting instead of having the shake/tap fix them...  :p

If it changed from L->R when you put on the headphones backwards, it's your ear.

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #10,524 of 14,386
The Jot is a better all than the Lyr2, yes. Also, the Jot is a stand alone amp with a DAC sort of thrown in there. I certainly wouldn't consider it as a typical combo unit, because the DAC section is pretty average while the amp is world class.

I think Schitt is in the process of completely overhauling their lineup, because the new products (Jot, Modi Multibit, Fulla2) have seriously disrupted their hierarchy. I think the Jot is closer to the mjolnir than the Lyr2 is to the Jot. The Modi Multibit is better than the bifrost 4490 and equal to the bimby. The Fulla2 makes the Modi/magni stack completely pointless. Schitt has openly said they aim to release the best product they can at the lowest price they can, lineup continuity and sales cannibalization be danged.

Very interesting.  If I plugged a bimby into the jot using SE, would I still benefit from the balanced output?

Dec 20, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #10,525 of 14,386
Very interesting.  If I plugged a bimby into the jot using SE, would I still benefit from the balanced output?

Yes.

Dec 20, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #10,526 of 14,386
Would be an end of an era! It's still your fault I got the 400i+m9XX combo.

And can confirm about the m9XX, no problems whatsoever with the volume pot, for anybody. Ranging from early morning 55~ish with 6dB cut, and I never go beyond 75.

Yes, it's the first time I've really "abandoned" a headphone I've liked this much. But I'm just not ever listening to them any more. Whenever I'm at home, my ears gravitate towards the HD800. That's no slam on the HE400i, they're just different categories of headphones. And I had to build a pretty substantial system around the HD800 to get it pass the HE400I for personal enjoyment.

And my friend adores the HE400I and he can't really go the whole desktop rig route, so HE400i is perfect for him. Plus the $200 I'm getting back will go into a GuMBy fund for the HD800 rig. m9XX is now pulling bedside duty with the THX00 and works beautifully for that use case as its smooth sound suits that type of listening and the built in crossfeed and ability to source straight from my iPhone is perfect. A brilliant addition has been the USB3 iPhone cck as it lets me charge my iPhone while using the m9XX as a DAC.

Dec 20, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #10,527 of 14,386
Yes, it's the first time I've really "abandoned" a headphone I've liked this much. But I'm just not ever listening to them any more. Whenever I'm at home, my ears gravitate towards the HD800. That's no slam on the HE400i, they're just different categories of headphones. And I had to build a pretty substantial system around the HD800 to get it pass the HE400I for personal enjoyment.

And my friend adores the HE400I and he can't really go the whole desktop rig route, so HE400i is perfect for him. Plus the $200 I'm getting back will go into a GuMBy fund for the HD800 rig. m9XX is now pulling bedside duty with the THX00 and works beautifully for that use case as its smooth sound suits that type of listening and the built in crossfeed and ability to source straight from my iPhone is perfect. A brilliant addition has been the USB3 iPhone cck as it lets me charge my iPhone while using the m9XX as a DAC.

Yeah, just got delivered the LCD-X to the office, eager to see if they're substantially better than the 400i, which I have absolutely enjoyed and loved the past year. What a lovely piece of mid-fi heaven, but obviously wondering if they might now share the same fate. Anyways, your impressions here aboot zee 400i and m9XX, I duly sign them.

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #10,528 of 14,386
Yeah, just got delivered the LCD-X to the office, eager to see if they're substantially better than the 400i, which I have absolutely enjoyed and loved the past year. What a lovely piece of mid-fi heaven, but obviously wondering if they might now share the same fate. Anyways, your impressions here aboot zee 400i and m9XX, I duly sign them.

I'm curious about your findings, as I've considered the X.

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #10,529 of 14,386
I'm curious about your findings, as I've considered the X.

I'll post some findings after I get some proper listening in, and the new toy syndrome wears off.
Initially, there seems to be more substantial slam in the toms and this weight in guitars, which was a wee bit missing for me with the 400i, but still, a few tunes in.

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #10,530 of 14,386

I'll post some findings after I get some proper listening in, and the new toy syndrome wears off.
Initially, there seems to be more substantial slam in the toms and this weight in guitars, which was a wee bit missing for me with the 400i, but still, a few tunes in.

yeah, the LCD-X is definitely a slam monster in some systems.  I had one with my iDAC6 and a Jot and it would slam your face off in that setup.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back