Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 23, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #10,561 of 14,386

It doesn't "attract dust" the same way that electrostats do, probably true, but according to mr speakers people I've talked to it does attract dust more than dynamic designs, hence why they used a pretty dense dust cover on the ether.  It also won't "shake loose" dust the way that a dynamic driver will, so the dust just accumulates.  The motion of a dynamic voice coil will actually knock off dust particles somewhat if the voice coil is made of a non-charged material (most headphones are).  Apparently this doesn't happen with planars.

You could probably use something like the hand powered blowers for camera sensors to clean them, and they probably wouldn't damage the diaphragm.  It's not a gamble I would want to take, but it would probably be fine.  You'd definitely screw stuff up with compressed air though.  

I agree. The thin planar sheet can maybe build up a static charge too. Using a blower bulb would best be done with the bulb pointing at an angle to the diaphragm. Not blowing straight at it.
I have a tutorial for cleaning the dust off my electrostatic speakers that involves removing the frame with the diaphragm & giving it a shower bath. I never tried it, but know someone who did. Braver than me! 
Guess it may be a good idea with the 400i to keep them covered when not in use if you are in a dusty environment. 

kev

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #10,562 of 14,386
Question is a bit off-topic, but I'll be getting the HE-400i in a few weeks (I used to own them before, so I know how they sound) and I want to use them with this DAC, because it has a mid-forward, smooth sound which will compliment the sound of the HE-400i very well for me.

But the problem is that it's volume is way too low, because it's a stand alone DAC. Does anybody know how I can get more volume out of it, while having the same sound quality?

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #10,563 of 14,386
Question is a bit off-topic, but I'll be getting the HE-400i in a few weeks (I used to own them before, so I know how they sound) and I want to use them with this DAC, because it has a mid-forward, smooth sound which will compliment the sound of the HE-400i very well for me.

But the problem is that it's volume is way too low, because it's a stand alone DAC. Does anybody know how I can get more volume out of it, while having the same sound quality?

An amp.

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #10,565 of 14,386
  Do you know an amp that can connect to that device?

any amp can if you have the correct cable.  A .375mm to RCA cable is the most likely route.  They're pretty easy to find.

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #10,566 of 14,386

Is it the HifiMe Sabre 1018? If so you can check out the original Geek Out offerings (450, 720, 1000) from LH Labs, they sound extremely similar but packs more power.

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #10,567 of 14,386
Is it the HifiMe Sabre 1018? If so you can check out the original Geek Out offerings (450, 720, 1000) from LH Labs, they sound extremely similar but packs more power.

any amp can if you have the correct cable.  A .375mm to RCA cable is the most likely route.  They're pretty easy to find.

Can I use the amp of my Microstreamer, and the DAC of the Sabre USB DAC? If so, how? This is what the Microstreamers inputs look like

@fjrabon: That is the Sabre 9023 DAC, the cheaper version of the 9018 dac. And are either 3 of those Geek outs good quality? Because I've read that they can get heat problems.

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #10,568 of 14,386
Can I use the amp of my Microstreamer, and the DAC of the Sabre USB DAC? If so, how? This is what the Microstreamers inputs look like

@fjrabon: That is the Sabre 9023 DAC, the cheaper version of the 9018 dac. And are either 3 of those Geek outs good quality? Because I've read that they can get heat problems.

The Microstreamer does not seem to have analog input so I'm afraid it won't work.

I've had the Geek Out 720 for several years now and the first 1,5 years it was constantly on and connected to my laptop and I've never had any problem with it. That being said they're small units with class A amplifiers and a lot of power so naturally they run quite hot.

Dec 23, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #10,569 of 14,386
  agree with @fjrabon about dust and more so if you have pets, when I did my grill mods I also used a silk organza as a dust screen which is a finer mesh than the original grill cloth but at the same time more acoustically transparent according to a friend who works in the COE testing labs.
And since my GF like pink:

I'm using 2 layers of organza with the stock grills on my 400i's. Backplateless model. Trying to remember back, the soundstage improved for me when I removed the cloth on the grills, but something else didn't sound just right. Can't remember exactly what. I bought and then added a layer of organza and remember there was a definite improvement in sound. After some time, I felt I would like a little more dust protection, so I added a second layer of organza. (It's no easy task, it's so hard to work with like that)  And for whatever reason, they sound even better to me. I actually went back and removed the second layer and re-listened. To me, the second layer does do something... for the better. So, that's the way they are staying. I also cover them when not in use. I also have 2 other simple tweaks that with the organza, have really improved the soundstage. It's now almost neck n neck with my X2's. 

Dec 23, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #10,570 of 14,386
  I'm using 2 layers of organza with the stock grills on my 400i's. Backplateless model. Trying to remember back, the soundstage improved for me when I removed the cloth on the grills, but something else didn't sound just right. Can't remember exactly what. I bought and then added a layer of organza and remember there was a definite improvement in sound. After some time, I felt I would like a little more dust protection, so I added a second layer of organza. (It's no easy task, it's so hard to work with like that)  And for whatever reason, they sound even better to me. I actually went back and removed the second layer and re-listened. To me, the second layer does do something... for the better. So, that's the way they are staying. I also cover them when not in use. I also have 2 other simple tweaks that with the organza, have really improved the soundstage. It's now almost neck n neck with my X2's. 

Do tell, what are the other tweaks?

Dec 23, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #10,573 of 14,386
  Pictures would likely help for one of them. The other is very simple and has been talked about before and has has a few diff ways of achieving the same result. Later when I get some time I'll take some shots.  

The use of two layers of organza is a great idea but since mine are the older back plate ones it made the mids too forward for my taste.  With my HE-400 I went with a single layer of silk organza but added a 25mm square of sorbothane in the middle of the grill to bring the mids up since they are a little too recessed on them.

Dec 23, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #10,574 of 14,386
The Microstreamer does not seem to have analog input so I'm afraid it won't work.

I've had the Geek Out 720 for several years now and the first 1,5 years it was constantly on and connected to my laptop and I've never had any problem with it. That being said they're small units with class A amplifiers and a lot of power so naturally they run quite hot.

Do all the 3 Geek Outs sound the same?

Dec 23, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #10,575 of 14,386
Just ordered these badboys for $250 on Amazon. What! Amazing price.

But they will be my first planars and I'm not really sure what to expect. I don't have a proper headphone amp, but could a DAP into one of my Cmoys adequately drive these?

Another question, does anybody use these with the PS4 controller? Again I'm skeptical that it would give the HE400i enough power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back