^ Like trash!?
confused_face(1).gif

Sep 5, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #9,666 of 14,386
congrats! still waiting for mine to arrive.. enjoy them (and review!) :o2smile:

Thanks! Should really sleep but can't stop listening :wink:

I hope yours arrive soon as well.

Sep 5, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #9,668 of 14,386
haha, same here.. with mojo (just arrived) and ath-m70x. long joyful night

Ha ha yes. The Mojo is really nice, congratulations.

Sep 6, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #9,669 of 14,386
Mine arrived today.
Listening to FLAC files via M9XX feeding an Feliks Elise tube amp.
Initial impressions - very impressed!
Cord is a little short - will find a longer one.
Clamp is tighter than I'd imagined (I have a pin-head so most HPs are on the loose side).
Very very comfortable - can see myself wearing for extended periods.
Won't replace the TH-X00s, but will compliment them nicely.
Will be my new gaming HPs, and see plenty of use for music as well.

Sep 6, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #9,670 of 14,386
I have the 400i's.looking for a quality dac/amp for them.I read on the forum that the 400i's are not picky about amps and do not scale up like some other phones.At the moment i am using a dacmagic xs through a creek se11 amp.I feel i could improve a bit with something better but would the mojo be overkill?.I actually just had a pair of woo fireflies amp+power purchased from a head fi'er but for the life of me could not get them working with my equipment so i had to return them.I know they were overkill but could not resist their looks and the fact i have never heard a tube amp set up.So back to my query would the mojo pair well or can anyone give me other recommendations.Cheers john

Sep 6, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #9,671 of 14,386
I have the 400i's.looking for a quality dac/amp for them.I read on the forum that the 400i's are not picky about amps and do not scale up like some other phones.At the moment i am using a dacmagic xs through a creek se11 amp.I feel i could improve a bit with something better but would the mojo be overkill?.I actually just had a pair of woo fireflies amp+power purchased from a head fi'er but for the life of me could not get them working with my equipment so i had to return them.I know they were overkill but could not resist their looks and the fact i have never heard a tube amp set up.So back to my query would the mojo pair well or can anyone give me other recommendations.Cheers john

I have mine hooked up to the Schiit Magni Modi 2 Uber stack. I love how they sound, and I can't imagine more expensive amps doing much more with them. 

Sep 6, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #9,672 of 14,386

Although the HE400i doesn't seem to be very picky about dac/amp to sound good it definitely doesn't mean that it sounds similar will them all. I find them quite revealing to the character of the source.

I'm lucky enough to have quite a few dac/amp combos available and I've already tried the HE400i with several. If it's a portable solution you're looking for I'd say that they sound really good with the V2+Infinity (especially balanced), the bit Opus #11 and Herus+ but my favorite this far is probably the Burson Audio Air. Unfortunately I don't have the Mojo around any longer but from my experience with it I'd say it would probably be too laid with the HE400i for me (purely personal preference, ymmv). If you consider desktop solutions as well they seems to work very well with tubes.

Please remember that I've only had my pair for two days and I've only had the chance to use it 1-2 hours with each source.

Sep 6, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #9,673 of 14,386

I have an older HE-400i (SMC connectors) so this might not be really accurate: I like my HE-400i driven by my Teac UD-301 DAC/amp, one of the better pairings I've found.  I didn't really like the Mojo with the HE-400i, it was a little thin/dry sounding to me, Hugo was a lot better pairing but the price is way too much IMO.  My Ember is not bad but it depends on the tube also, Lyr2/Bimby is okay but they can be a little dry sounding at times and is also tube dependent.

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #9,674 of 14,386
Bifrost is a decent DAC but having a Asgard2 and Lyr2 I would still get a Project Ember or Polaris for the HE-400i, wouldn't recommend the Valhalla2 for the HE-400i since its an OTL design more for high impedance headphones like the HD-600/650.  The tube rolling with the Ember and the adjustability of both the Ember and Polaris makes them much easier to match with most headphones, from your HE-400i to a HD-600/650

I would disagree with your Valhalla 2 assessment. They are actually really good with it. Valhalla can be used in low or high gain, but I actually use high gain with them ( they are low impedance, but also low sensitivity, so in a weird way it works), and they sound great. Valhalla isn't like a lot of tube amps, it really is good with most HP's. I don't have a decent SS to compare to ATM, so I won't say it's better, but it's definitely good.

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #9,675 of 14,386
I would disagree with your Valhalla 2 assessment. They are actually really good with it. Valhalla can be used in low or high gain, but I actually use high gain with them ( they are low impedance, but also low sensitivity, so in a weird way it works), and they sound great. Valhalla isn't like a lot of tube amps, it really is good with most HP's. I don't have a decent SS to compare to ATM, so I won't say it's better, but it's definitely good.

This is why this is a great hobby, so many different views/hearing, makes for great choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back