Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Sep 15, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #9,691 of 14,386

i used my 400i with a X5 II, great sound; then i sold it and got an O2+ODAC rev B; the change was mindblowing tue odac and 02 are super clear.

The only problem with the o2/odac is that is so clear that it will show all the distortions an generally bad sound of any file that is not in a godd quality, the o2 doesn't forgive bad quality, the X5 II does.

i would recomend an external dac/amp, because the 400i are not good for portable use (they are open, why would you like to have open headphones for the go?)

Safety and awareness comes to mind! Though, have you looked yourself in the mirror whilst wearing HiFiMAN phones?

Sep 15, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #9,692 of 14,386
I now own a TH-X00 mahogany to be my bass can to my T1's and HD600's. It fills the gap for hip-hop, electronic, nu-metal and a few other bass heavy genres that particularly the 600's fall short on. As much as I like the X00's... the bass can be too much, bloomy and all encompassing. I have no issues with the treble on the X00's and I find it far from fatiguing. I find the mids acceptable, but the boomy bass takes its toll.

Is the 400i going to be decent replacement choice for the X00? I'd be looking for something more accurate, bigger soundstage, but still has bass to properly present bass heavy music.

Setup will be a 4490 Bifrost>Garage Polaris

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #9,693 of 14,386
I now own a TH-X00 mahogany to be my bass can to my T1's and HD600's. It fills the gap for hip-hop, electronic, nu-metal and a few other bass heavy genres that particularly the 600's fall short on. As much as I like the X00's... the bass can be too much, bloomy and all encompassing. I have no issues with the treble on the X00's and I find it far from fatiguing. I find the mids acceptable, but the boomy bass takes its toll.

Is the 400i going to be decent replacement choice for the X00? I'd be looking for something more accurate, bigger soundstage, but still has bass to properly present bass heavy music.

Although I haven't heard the X00's I'd suggest checking out the Philips Fidelio X2. The X2's are to me what you wanted the X00's to be to you but ymmw........

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #9,694 of 14,386
Although I haven't heard the X00's I'd suggest checking out the Philips Fidelio X2. The X2's are to me what you wanted the X00's to be to you but ymmw........

I've tried the X2's and did like them, but suspension headbands typically don't work out for me. I found it difficult to get a decent seal. I've had the same issue with the AKG line as well.

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #9,695 of 14,386
I've tried the X2's and did like them, but suspension headbands typically don't work out for me. I found it difficult to get a decent seal. I've had the same issue with the AKG line as well.

Ah, too bad. Imo the HE400i, although an excellent headphone, will jot be what you're looking for but good luck in your quest.

Sep 15, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #9,696 of 14,386

For me personally:

I think the planar bass with virtually no roll-off, (emphasized with a small EQ in the sub-bass if desired), combined with the rather intimate in your face - albeit small soundstage, the rather forward mids and the peak in the higher mids/lower highs, which gives electronic snaps and crackles their aggressive whip-like effect (which can be easily EQ'd down a bit for personal preference and comfort), the almost unnaturally quick decay and attack in general, makes a rather good combo for well-produced electronic music :p (read along the lines of: trip-hop, idm, glitch, downtempo, psydub, ambient)

Even though the soundstage leaves something or even quite a lot to be desired, the instrument separation and clarity is quite good - you'll probably hear a lot more information regarding especially the timbre in the bass after a dynamic driver - which can be a problem, if the production/recording just hasn't addressed/thought of these issues.

I think these cans really bring out the best, and the worst in a recording, even at this price point - which is rather awesome.
The above-mentioned qualities have and can cause a bit of a tin-like effect to the sq, along/coming from the source - not to mention the stock grill vibrations/glare, but I guess I won't go there.
Additionally, I think these characteristics can be the reason why HE-400i has been called a "warm" can, and a "bright" one in the thread over the years :p

Those are the thoughts on electronic music only, I've actually started to listen quite a lot more of various electronic genres due to these cans.
And other genres of music, a whole different story.

And as always, YMMV.

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #9,697 of 14,386

For me personally:

I think the planar bass with virtually no roll-off, (emphasized with a small EQ in the sub-bass if desired), combined with the rather intimate in your face - albeit small soundstage, the rather forward mids and the peak in the higher mids/lower highs, which gives electronic snaps and crackles their aggressive whip-like effect (which can be easily EQ'd down a bit for personal preference and comfort), the almost unnaturally quick decay and attack in general, makes a rather good combo for well-produced electronic music :p (read along the lines of: trip-hop, idm, glitch, downtempo, psydub, ambient)

Even though the soundstage leaves something or even quite a lot to be desired, the instrument separation and clarity is quite good - you'll probably hear a lot more information regarding especially the timbre in the bass after a dynamic driver - which can be a problem, if the production/recording just hasn't addressed/thought of these issues.

I think these cans really bring out the best, and the worst in a recording, even at this price point - which is rather awesome.
The above-mentioned qualities have and can cause a bit of a tin-like effect to the sq, along/coming from the source - not to mention the stock grill vibrations/glare, but I guess I won't go there.
Additionally, I think these characteristics can be the reason why HE-400i has been called a "warm" can, and a "bright" one in the thread over the years :p

Those are the thoughts on electronic music only, I've actually started to listen quite a lot more of various electronic genres due to these cans.
And other genres of music, a whole different story.

And as always, YMMV.
Its that rumoured (never heard a PM can) , legendary planar bass that made me gravitate towards the 400i. It's all suppose to be there, but with out the sometimes sloppy rumble and bleeding you can get from dynamics. Which is really the only thing I can't get use to on the X00's. Bass is all there, and the rest of the spectrum is well represented, but sometimes the bass takes over too much. Appreciate the input.

Any 400i/X00 owners out there have any thoughts?

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #9,698 of 14,386

Its that rumoured (never heard a PM can) , legendary planar bass that made me gravitate towards the 400i. It's all suppose to be there, but with out the sometimes sloppy rumble and bleeding you can get from dynamics. Which is really the only thing I can't get use to on the X00's. Bass is all there, and the rest of the spectrum is well represented, but sometimes the bass takes over too much. Appreciate the input.

Any 400i/X00 owners out there have any thoughts?

Waiting for @fjrabon input :p or @DavidA, having the TH-600?
I guess the consensus is that there's planars which extend even deeper, and can portray more information SQ-wise down below, and even have a bit more oomph - though the low end on HE-400i is beyond average, when you're not even considering the low price point. I'd go as far that there's no sloppy rumble or one-note-bass issues with HE-400i.

However, I'd be interested interested in other peoples' thoughts about bass bleeding into the mids, or overpowering the mids per se. I personally think that the frequency response dip in the mids is audible, (messing IMO with some guitar-related harmonics), but the bleed from the bass is virtually non-existent.

And additionally, it's worth mentioning: coming from dynamics, getting used to the planar sound takes a wee bit of a time, they can sound bass-shy, even for the first weeks.

Sep 15, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #9,699 of 14,386
  And additionally, it's worth mentioning: coming from dynamics, getting used to the planar sound takes a wee bit of a time, they can sound bass-shy, even for the first weeks.

I am also curious of this as you are not the first to tell me this. DT880/T1 are often referred to as dry and I enjoyed them both, but I'm not sure how they compare obviously.

Sep 15, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #9,700 of 14,386
Waiting for @fjrabon
input :p or @DavidA
, having the TH-600?
I guess the consensus is that there's planars which extend even deeper, and can portray more information SQ-wise down below, and even have a bit more oomph - though the low end on HE-400i is beyond average, when you're not even considering the low price point. I'd go as far that there's no sloppy rumble or one-note-bass issues with HE-400i.

However, I'd be interested interested in other peoples' thoughts about bass bleeding into the mids, or overpowering the mids per se. I personally think that the frequency response dip in the mids is audible, (messing IMO with some guitar-related harmonics), but the bleed from the bass is virtually non-existent.

The X00 and 400i are compliments to each other because of their opposite sound signatures. Trying to choose one over the other is more of a sound preference thing. I own both.

Edit: was replying the the post you quoted, sorry.

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #9,701 of 14,386
Just got a Gustard H10 to pair with the 400I's.  Really good combo, really fixes my only complaint I had with them through the Valhalla 2.  Now, they have great Bass, hits hard but still tight, more like what I expected.  Soundstage seems a little wider and possibly more detailed as well.  More listening needed, but you guys were right.  Valhalla is not a good combo with them in comparison.  

Mimby>Gustard H10 > 400I = win.  

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #9,702 of 14,386

While I don't have a TH-X00, I've heard from a friend who has them that its not something that I should get since I have the TH-600 and that the bass is not as controlled on the TH-X00, a sound signature trait that I don't care for, like the stock MDR-1A.  If you feel comfortable with DIY then I would try adding damping material (dynamat, acoustic padding, or sorbothane) to the cups to better control the bass, on the MDR-1A adding dynamat to the cups had quite an effect, also helps my Grado type builds and even M50x.  Another thing to try is what another poster (sorry I couldn't remember your name) suggested, move the foam ring in the cups to close up the holes to help control the bass.

If you don't what to try DIY then the HE-400i will be a good choice with the bass much better controlled and never boomy or muddy and no bleed in to the lower mids but its a replacement IMO since it doesn't have that low rumble that the TH-XXX series have.  I still have my HE-400i and TH-600 and used them for different genres and as @Change is Good noted they are a good complimentary pair.  Other headphones you may want to audition if you want tight controlled bass that goes low are: HD-700, HE-560 and EL8 open, all of these have better bass and sound stage than the HE-400i or TH-600 but need to be driven properly, the HE-400i is much less picky with amps.

Forgot to ask, are you changing the output resistance of the Polaris when you switch between your T1, HD-600 and TH-X00?  This will have a effect on how the bass is presented and also affect the highs.

Sep 15, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #9,703 of 14,386
  Just got a Gustard H10 to pair with the 400I's.  Really good combo, really fixes my only complaint I had with them through the Valhalla 2.  Now, they have great Bass, hits hard but still tight, more like what I expected.  Soundstage seems a little wider and possibly more detailed as well.  More listening needed, but you guys were right.  Valhalla is not a good combo with them in comparison.  

Mimby>Gustard H10 > 400I = win.  

Have you had a chance to listen to HE400i using a Schiit Asgard 2? I currently have one and like everything about it, except the sound stage. While this greatly depends on the actual headphones themselves, I have read that sound stage is wider with a Gustard H10. Would like to hear your thoughts before I decide to upgrade. The other reason is the capability of the H10 to switch between 110v and 220v which will be very handy for me. I'm also interested in a iFi iDSD Micro.

Thanks!

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #9,704 of 14,386
  Have you had a chance to listen to HE400i using a Schiit Asgard 2? I currently have one and like everything about it, except the sound stage. While this greatly depends on the actual headphones themselves, I have read that sound stage is wider with a Gustard H10. Would like to hear your thoughts before I decide to upgrade. The other reason is the capability of the H10 to switch between 110v and 220v which will be very handy for me. I'm also interested in a iFi iDSD Micro.

Thanks!

No, haven't heard the Asgard with it, hopefully someone else can compare the 2.  I will say the soundstage is probably the only weakness of the 400I IMO. It's not wide, but there is good separation. 

The more I listen to it - I think I was wrong about it being wider, seems like it has more depth instead.  To me it's not a big deal because everything else is pretty much perfect for me.  And the difference is between front row vs 10th row.  It's not that big of an issue.  Just makes things a little more intimate which for Rock ( mainly what I listen to) it's great. So far, this is the best synergy I've heard with a DAC -AMP - HP.  To me, it's much better than the 650 / Valhalla combo that I used for a long time and was well written about.  And it certainly competes well with the HD 700 that I also like. I may have just found my endgame.  

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #9,705 of 14,386
@Sajakhaki, glad you understand why we didn't recommend the Valhalla2 for the HE-400i and that there are some pairing between headphones and amps that have great synergy.

@Jayzz, I don't think changing amps will improve the sound stage of the HE-400i much, it at all, the Asgard2 does provide a fairly decent sound stage IMO.  If the sound stage is really important to you then I think it would be better to find headphones that have the sound stage that you are looking for to start, might also be cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back