Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Sep 16, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #9,721 of 14,386
  I took that route and bought a pair of Alpha Dogs in hopes to upgrade to Alpha Primes. Unfortunately they were too heavy for me and I couldn't stand their weight. Every time I put them on, I got a strain in my neck that I had to put them back in the market immediately. I liked their sound signature though & they definitely had a wider sound stage than HE400i.

If I had to stick to their line for that sound signature & stage, I might have to step up to the Ethers as they weigh less, but that's beyond my budget. If you have a few recommendations, please feel free to suggest. 

This is my upgrade path so far.
Sennheiser HD598 -> Philips Fidelio X2 -> Hifiman HE400i.

I consider the sound stage of HE400i to be narrow because of the previous headphones HD598 & the X2 which had very wide sound stage. But I like to bass on the planars than the other two, to the level that I began to think X2 has bloated bass.

I started with a HE-400 then added a HD-598 and Fidelio X1, I've since given away the HD-598 and the X1 gets used very little but I still like using it when watching movies and I need something easy to drive.  Tried an X2 but sent it back since it was very similar to the X1.

If you can handle the highs then a HD-700 might be something that you can try, its also fairly cheap these day, $430 from Amazon, sound stage is great, bass goes low and is never muddy.  Since you have the Polaris you might want to try the HE-560 since its good with warmer SS amps, and the other economical recommendation is the K7XX from MassDrop.

I don't thing the Ether will make you happy since its bass lite IMO but does have a pretty good sound stage, the Ether C might be better but as you say they are out of your price range, I liked the Alpha Primes that a friend has but I also felt them being too heavy.

If you can DIY then a Ypsilon driver in a Grado style wood cup with EZ G pads might be a option.  Last thing that I can think of is a Stax SRS-3170 system, includes headphone and amp.

Sep 19, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #9,722 of 14,386
Just had a thought; after someone could hear the lyrics to song was listening to downstairs at front door, these headphones let out so much sound Lol, being my first pair of open headphones how do these rank as most open/leaky lol 
basshead.gif

Sep 22, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #9,723 of 14,386
Hi guys,

The earpads of my HP are worn out (leather is now unattached / unglued and foam is getting visible from the side of the pads)

So I have to decide which one of the Focuspad or the Focuspad-A to buy. I can't find any comparison of these two on the 400i.

Any thoughts?

Sep 22, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #9,724 of 14,386
Sep 22, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #9,725 of 14,386
Hi guys,

The earpads of my HP are worn out (leather is now unattached / unglued and foam is getting visible from the side of the pads)

So I have to decide which one of the Focuspad or the Focuspad-A to buy. I can't find any comparison of these two on the 400i.

Any thoughts?

Perhaps http://www.head-fi.org/t/711824/hifiman-he-560-impressions-discussion-thread/5610#post_10723660 can be of help.

Ah, thanks man!

What I understand (and if that applies to the 400i) is that FocusA smoothens a bit the sound. That's down to personal preference, that doesn't seem to be an improvement to me. It's also more comfortable.

I like the sound signature of my HP as it is now and I have had no issue with comfort, so I guess I'll keep going with the Focuspad (production).

Sep 22, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #9,726 of 14,386
Hi guys,

Any thoughts?

I had a similar experience with my pads, but my headphones were still under warranty so I contacted Hifiman. All they asked for was proof of purchase and a picture of the pads, and I got my replacement pair within a week. They offered to replace the whole headphone at the cost of shipping, at first, but I asked for replacement pads (instead).

Sep 22, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #9,727 of 14,386
Hi guys,

Any thoughts?

I had a similar experience with my pads, but my headphones were still under warranty so I contacted Hifiman. All they asked for was proof of purchase and a picture of the pads, and I got my replacement pair within a week. They offered to replace the whole headphone at the cost of shipping, at first, but I asked for replacement pads (instead).

Yea I got in touch with Hifiman's customer service as well. My HP are outside 1 year warranty so they didn't agree to replace them, which I understand perfectly.
I still think this is not a normal wear and tear...

Sep 23, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #9,728 of 14,386
I am still enjoying the HE-400i and have a track recommendation for those out there looking for some new music to enjoy with their pair.

Album: Amkeni
Artist: Bukuru Celestin & Snarky Puppy
Track: Shima

The detail, bass, and overall presentation of this track with the HE-400i will really make it shine.

Sep 24, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #9,729 of 14,386
Regarding some padrolling -> http://www.head-fi.org/t/711824/hifiman-he-560-impressions-discussion-thread/17025#post_12886234

I'd agree with "Brainwavz Angled Leather = slightly less dark vs the angled velour but sound feels smaller like stage is squished a little."
As in angled pleather.
The soundstage takes a minor hit (regarding positioning: it's pulled more towards in your face/inside your head), but the sparkle/resolution is there with just a hint of proper taming of the 7-9k peak (for me at least), and the (sub)-bass is quite audibly boosted, which I prefer, again.

Sep 24, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #9,730 of 14,386
I am still enjoying the HE-400i and have a track recommendation for those out there looking for some new music to enjoy with their pair.

Album: Amkeni
Artist: Bukuru Celestin & Snarky Puppy
Track: Shima

The detail, bass, and overall presentation of this track with the HE-400i will really make it shine.

Thanks for sharing, cool stuff :)

For something completely different Lil Dicky - Professional Rapper does also sound pretty amazing on the HE400i.......

Sep 26, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #9,732 of 14,386
  Just had a thought; after someone could hear the lyrics to song was listening to downstairs at front door, these headphones let out so much sound Lol, being my first pair of open headphones how do these rank as most open/leaky lol 
basshead.gif

I measure the sound on both sides of all the headphones I have ever owned, and these measure are the leakiest I've ever measured.  The ear side output is only 2.5dB more than than the "out" side output.  

Sep 26, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #9,734 of 14,386

Users who are viewing this thread

Back