Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Oct 6, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #5,131 of 14,386
Hey there, i need to bump my earlier questions again, would really appretiate some information and/or recommendations
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/698974/hifiman-he-400i-impressions-and-discussion/5040#post_11952198

thanks in advance
smile.gif

Oct 6, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #5,132 of 14,386

Do you know if this is true for the 400i and solid state amps in general, or just the Magni/Modi combo?

cant help you there sorry.

If that is so I want a stack. What's the bitrate for magni/modi? Whichever was which.

24\96 without driver and 32\192 with the driver installed.

Oct 6, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #5,133 of 14,386
The HE400i is my first serious pair of headphones, after dabbling with IEMs almost exclusively. I'm very happy with the purchase. It wasn't efficient enough driven straight from my AK100ii (sorry I even tried it), but out of my Cayin C5 amp with bass boost on, the good things about the 400i are very apparent. Smooth, nonfatiguing and neutral sound, with a warmish tilt, and magical mids. Could listen to it all day.

Driven out of my Centrance M8 the improvement is even more obvious. The treble was clear, transparent, detailed and smoooooth, magical mids made more lush, and the bass tight, deep, controlled, at just the right amount. A true jack of all trades, but I LOVE vocals with these. Soundstage was intimate, couldn't really fault them since I came from IEMs, and have yet to heard the likes of HD800 etc. Came from the RE400 which also had lush addictive mids but a very fragile cable that broke after a year. But by then I was addicted to the Hifiman house sound. Thought this would be a sidegrade... it's instead a huge step up!

So question, how much better can the HE560 and HE1000 be?

Oct 6, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #5,134 of 14,386
  The HE400i is my first serious pair of headphones, after dabbling with IEMs almost exclusively. I'm very happy with the purchase. It wasn't efficient enough driven straight from my AK100ii (sorry I even tried it), but out of my Cayin C5 amp with bass boost on, the good things about the 400i are very apparent. Smooth, nonfatiguing and neutral sound, with a warmish tilt, and magical mids. Could listen to it all day.

Driven out of my Centrance M8 the improvement is even more obvious. The treble was clear, transparent, detailed and smoooooth, magical mids made more lush, and the bass tight, deep, controlled, at just the right amount. A true jack of all trades, but I LOVE vocals with these. Soundstage was intimate, couldn't really fault them since I came from IEMs, and have yet to heard the likes of HD800 etc. Came from the RE400 which also had lush addictive mids but a very fragile cable that broke after a year. But by then I was addicted to the Hifiman house sound. Thought this would be a sidegrade... it's instead a huge step up!

So question, how much better can the HE560 and HE1000 be?

from reviews and other impressions- the 560 isnt much of a step up.
cant say anything about the 1000 because its too expensive for me to even look at :)

Oct 6, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #5,135 of 14,386

cant say anything about the 1000 because its too expensive for me to even look at :)

Lol we're on the same boat. Not to mention the heavy duty tube amp and DAC needed to power this baby.

Oct 6, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #5,136 of 14,386

from reviews and other impressions- the 560 isnt much of a step up.

Once I get my adapter I will provide some feedback on the 400i versus the 560. Already I know for certain there will be some differences, but if it is worth it or not of course will depend on the user. The 560 certainly has better layering in all directions and the bass is tighter. Anyway, the 400i is a great headphone so if money was tight it is a great deal. However, if somebody had a decent amplifier with decent current capabilities and the extra money wasn't an issue I would think the 560 a worthy move upward.

Oct 6, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #5,137 of 14,386

Once I get my adapter I will provide some feedback on the 400i versus the 560. Already I know for certain there will be some differences, but if it is worth it or not of course will depend on the user. The 560 certainly has better layering in all directions and the bass is tighter. Anyway, the 400i is a great headphone so if money was tight it is a great deal. However, if somebody had a decent amplifier with decent current capabilities and the extra money wasn't an issue I would think the 560 a worthy move upward.

from what i remember the 560 have deeper bass (abit less quantity though), more airy sound and better soundstage.
so the 560 is kind of better (i say kind of because some people actually prefer the 400i), but not two times better.
the 560 is 900$ while the 400i is 500$ so the value for money is way better on the 400i.

Oct 6, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #5,138 of 14,386

from what i remember the 560 have deeper bass (abit less quantity though), more airy sound and better soundstage.
so the 560 is kind of better (i say kind of because some people actually prefer the 400i), but not two times better.
the 560 is 900$ while the 400i is 500$ so the value for money is way better on the 400i.

Last time I checked 560 was more warmer than 400i...Or something along the lines.

Oct 6, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #5,143 of 14,386

Oh I see...That could be it then. My mistake.

We all make them, just try not to marry your mistake!! Yah, the 560 could never be warm unless you had a very warm rig.

Oct 6, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #5,144 of 14,386
So i´ve had my 400is for a couple of weeks now and im really enoying them:) But i have a question for the bassheads here in this thread.
When i eq  some dbs on to the low frequencies and then amping they sound great but when i put the headphones off my head, the drivers sounds like they´re going to explode.
Should i be concerned or can i go full basshead with these?

Thanks in advance:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back