Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Oct 3, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #5,101 of 14,386
  My 

My Schiit Fulla is coming tomorrow. Hopefully it will push the 400i above the hd 598 which I am also auditioning. I guess the proper way to go would be to spend as much on the amp as the headphones cost. What amp are you using? How much of a difference does it make?

I also upgraded from the HD598 to the 400i, and I can say that the difference between the two headphones is pretty obvious unless you have an extremely crappy source. The 400i simply makes music sound more real than the HD598, though there are some things that the HD598 does better (such as the width of the soundstage).

Oct 3, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #5,102 of 14,386
  I'm using a Schiit Asgard (version 1) that I got second hand for a comically cheap price. It's in mint condition. The guy had upgraded to the Lyr and just wanted to unload this thing. 

How much of a difference does it make? Well, you can't compare apples to oranges. The Fulla is a low end product. So is the Asgard but it is not as low end. Basically, I went from having decent headphones to having a nightclub inside my head. If you blind folded me and asked me what the difference was between my integrated amp's out and the Asgard, I'd tell you that you had given me headphones that cost twice as much as the 400i's when it was hooked up to the Asgard. I'm listening to it right now. It's pretty freakin mind blowing. I would not hesitate to buy another Schiit Product...

I listened to another headphone amp from Hifiman that cost more than the Asgard does (in new prices) and the Asgard destroys it in the worst way. No comparison. And the Hifiman was  a tube amp too. 

You won't get a mind blowing performance out of the Fulla but it'll be decent. I wonder why you spent $500 on your headphones but less than $100 on your amp/dac? Would have made more sense to pick up HD598's and a Schiit Magni 2 modi 2 combo. JM2C.

From what I've heard, the 598's SQ gain from being amped is quite minimal. I ended up with this setup because I purchased the 598's thinking that I would be done with it, but I was so impressed with them compared to what I am used to that I thought I would see how far the rabbit hole went, at least how far it went for $500. Someone suggested that a Philips X2 would be better with a cheap amp, but I think I can get an idea for the fundamental qualities of the headphone and how well suited they are to my tastes now, and upgrade the amp later.

Oct 3, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #5,103 of 14,386

I also upgraded from the HD598 to the 400i, and I can say that the difference between the two headphones is pretty obvious unless you have an extremely crappy source. The 400i simply makes music sound more real than the HD598, though there are some things that the HD598 does better (such as the width of the soundstage).

Yeah, the soundstage of the 598's is excellent unamped. If the Fulla gives the 400i a bit more ability to separate instruments I will be happy.

Oct 4, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #5,104 of 14,386
  Im sensitive to treble and i can tell you that the 400i arent too bright.
you can really raise up the volume without a sense of fatigue.

(currently using schiit fulla, the stack is on the way)

I was wondering what stack that was and how it compares with the Fulla in terms of sound?

Oct 4, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #5,105 of 14,386
  My Schiit Fulla is coming tomorrow. Hopefully it will push the 400i above the hd 598 which I am also auditioning. I guess the proper way to go would be to spend as much on the amp as the headphones cost. What amp are you using? How much of a difference does it make?

I was wondering what stack that was and how it compares with the Fulla in terms of sound?

the FULLA will push the 400i with no problem, and its a step up above the motherboard chip.

(EDIT: oh, and the 400i arent bright at all)

by stack i meant to the Schiit stack- Modi2\Magni2.
i just got it (literally, like 30 mins ago).

i cant say much yet, but i think the stack is just a tad more bright than the FULLA.
i will go do some listening now so i can post my impressions on that stack :)

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #5,109 of 14,386

they do EDM pretty good.
you might think they lack a bit bass but its because the 400i arent boomy, the bass is more defined and has texture to it.
if you are a basshead you should try EQing a bit.

A​dding bass via equalizing is going to result in trade-offs. How bad these trade-offs are depend of course on the amount of EQing done, but you can't make a headphone be something it isn't. You can sort of trick it, but in general addition is sound destructive where EQ cuts are far less so. I know you weren't trying to suggest that the poster go nuts, or that the 400i would suddenly be a bass monster, but I really like for people to think about what they might be doing with EQ boosts. The driver and enclosure design have been hard set so to speak and likely the distortion tolerances are closely tied to the design which of course is ultimately experienced in effective frequency response characteristics. If you try to make the headphone produce more of a weaker frequency then you risk making the design totality change in unpredictable ways.

I'm not suggesting ever EQ boost is disastrous and horribly destructive to the sound, but the possibility exists that it can have negative effects. That is why I, and seemingly many others, prefer to only use EQ cuts, and preferably via a parametric EQ to achieve a workaround effect. Anyway, sorry for the ramble, and yes EDM seems nice on the 400i and I'll know for sure when my adapter arrives this week. So far out of my kind of crappy drumming system EDM sounds good, but the sound is a little edgey and blurry at points (bass mostly for the blurring) but that really could be the DAC so I will reserve judgement. I had a year with the HE 560 so I hope the 400i comes reasonably close. 

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #5,110 of 14,386

A​dding bass via equalizing is going to result in trade-offs. How bad these trade-offs are depend of course on the amount of EQing done, but you can't make a headphone be something it isn't. You can sort of trick it, but in general addition is sound destructive where EQ cuts are far less so. I know you weren't trying to suggest that the poster go nuts, or that the 400i would suddenly be a bass monster, but I really like for people to think about what they might be doing with EQ boosts. The driver and enclosure design have been hard set so to speak and likely the distortion tolerances are closely tied to the design which of course is ultimately experienced in effective frequency response characteristics. If you try to make the headphone produce more of a weaker frequency then you risk making the design totality change in unpredictable ways.

I'm not suggesting ever EQ boost is disastrous and horribly destructive to the sound, but the possibility exists that it can have negative effects. That is why I, and seemingly many others, prefer to only use EQ cuts, and preferably via a parametric EQ to achieve a workaround effect. Anyway, sorry for the ramble, and yes EDM seems nice on the 400i and I'll know for sure when my adapter arrives this week. So far out of my kind of crappy drumming system EDM sounds good, but the sound is a little edgey and blurry at points (bass mostly for the blurring) but that really could be the DAC so I will reserve judgement. I had a year with the HE 560 so I hope the 400i comes reasonably close. 

when i said EQing i really meant just a bit, and only for EDM.

blurry bass might be because of the DAC.
my MB chip makes bass sound really rubbish, my FULLA fixed it.

why going 400i after you had 560?

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #5,111 of 14,386
Yeah EQing these is not the best idea. :D I did that to see what my EQ does, that I pretty much use for every headphone or have used. The effect was good if you are a heavy basshead. :D
In general the bass is there and don't think it is lacking or anything like that, I was listening to some trap music and I say it may feel at times weak, but only because it is accurate as soon as you try to increase it, it overpowers everything... You get used to it so it's good. Wouldn't trade this bass for any other in the same price range. For EDM these headphone do a good job, I'd say my speakers do a better one, but then again they are EDM monsters!

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #5,112 of 14,386

when i said EQing i really meant just a bit, and only for EDM.

blurry bass might be because of the DAC.
my MB chip makes bass sound really rubbish, my FULLA fixed it.

why going 400i after you had 560?

S​old the 560 (which I regret) as I wanted to try the TH 900. I strongly suspect the DAC I used on my drumming rig was to blame mostly. Glad to hear the Fulla is able to deliver the goods. I have had Schiit gear and always like it quite a bit. The crew at Schiit have good ears and voice their gear well.

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #5,113 of 14,386
  Yeah EQing these is not the best idea. :D I did that to see what my EQ does, that I pretty much use for every headphone or have used. The effect was good if you are a heavy basshead. :D
In general the bass is there and don't think it is lacking or anything like that, I was listening to some trap music and I say it may feel at times weak, but only because it is accurate as soon as you try to increase it, it overpowers everything... You get used to it so it's good. Wouldn't trade this bass for any other in the same price range. For EDM these headphone do a good job, I'd say my speakers do a better one, but then again they are EDM monsters!

W​hat are your speakers again? I also use speakers mostly and in a moderate nearfield environment I have two small REL T-Zero subs that support my Neat speakers nicely. Once you go dual subs you will never go back, so if you haven't done so seriously dude, try it. I don't turn the subs up loud, it is all about the balance, but it is incredible how much well implemented subs can help the sound feel correct.

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #5,114 of 14,386

thats what i said, if someone i a basshead he might want to EQ a bit.
at first the 400i seems to have too little bass, but i explained that its because they arent boomy.
after a while with the 400i you cant comeback, because while some HP have more quantity and boomy bass the 400i have higher quality bass.

S​old the 560 (which I regret) as I wanted to try the TH 900. I strongly suspect the DAC I used on my drumming rig was to blame mostly. Glad to hear the Fulla is able to deliver the goods. I have had Schiit gear and always like it quite a bit. The crew at Schiit have good ears and voice their gear well.

thats a shame :frowning2:

Oct 4, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #5,115 of 14,386

W​hat are your speakers again? I also use speakers mostly and in a moderate nearfield environment I have two small REL T-Zero subs that support my Neat speakers nicely. Once you go dual subs you will never go back, so if you haven't done so seriously dude, try it. I don't turn the subs up loud, it is all about the balance, but it is incredible how much well implemented subs can help the sound feel correct.

Nearfield...Gotcha...Try these on for size. :D Subs are for losers.

Cerwin-Vega! XLS 215.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back