Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Mar 26, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #2,851 of 3,091
http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread/6540#post_9109441

This isnt even the first instance of me mentioning it, and it was before your post. Trust me. I still remember Jerg telling me he'd try to do that at some point. The velour top mod. It wasnt until I mentioned it that he got the idea. Of course, I only mentioned it, not did any modding myself.

Why do I know this? Because I've been very vocal about velour topped pleather pads for ages, even before the HE400 pad insanity. I wanted it done for my D7000s which I owned before the HE400.

Don't worry dude I trust you. I must have gotten the idea from your posts, but I believe I was the first to actually make the modded pads as you can see from my links. Anyway I didn't mean to start something lol, it's not like Hifiman will actually send the person with the original idea/implementation a pair?

Mar 26, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #2,852 of 3,091
Yeah, actually, I think mistook jerg for you. I distinctly remember you making those pads. :) I wanted them... lol.

Oh, I don't expect anything. All I did was bring up the idea of a velour top on pleather/leather pads like the Orpheus. You and Jerg really brought that idea to life.

Mar 26, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #2,854 of 3,091
YOUR IDEA WAS OF THE BRING THE SPOTLIGHT BACK TO THE HE4 FOR BEING AWESOMESAUCE AND UNDERRATED. ..OH WAIT THAT WAS ME TOO.

I jest. HFM attracts all kinds.

Mar 26, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #2,855 of 3,091
MLE is right. I did bring the he4 into prominence. 
blink.gif

Mar 26, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #2,856 of 3,091
ARRE YOU ABSOLUTELY SURE? But yeah, your reactions to the HE4 really helped bring them back from the dead. Me and conquerator were always trying to push the HE4 to others, but it went on deaf ears most of the time back in those early days. And hey, I still might have some pms you sent me asking about wheteher the HE4 was worth getting. :p

Now, the HE4 is enjoying some much needed spotlight. And now with the 560 and 400i using similar single side magnet design, the HE4 has been justified. I'm still remembering how no one talked about it due to the HE500 hogging all the spotlight.

I mean, how can anyone hate a much lighter, more comfortable, and airy presentation compared to the other Hifimans? If anything, it would've made a perfect companion to the HE500 as somewhat of a polar opposite.

Mar 26, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #2,857 of 3,091
Well I was pushing the HE-6 a lot but there was no reason not to cheer for the HE-4 as it was a greatly overshadowed headphone.
That was around the time of writing the HE-6 review.
More than anything, I really hope the 560 doesn't disappoint now though xD

Mar 26, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #2,858 of 3,091
The 560 is too rich for my blood and like Matt, what's been said of the 400i appeals to me more than the 560. I've become quite a fan of warm, euphonic headphones. The HD650 and LCD2 were revelations to me. I'm sure the HE500 would be too, but dat weight.

Mar 26, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #2,859 of 3,091
ARRE YOU ABSOLUTELY SURE? But yeah, your reactions to the HE4 really helped bring them back from the dead. Me and conquerator were always trying to push the HE4 to others, but it went on deaf ears most of the time back in those early days. And hey, I still might have some pms you sent me asking about wheteher the HE4 was worth getting.
tongue.gif

Now, the HE4 is enjoying some much needed spotlight. And now with the 560 and 400i using similar single side magnet design, the HE4 has been justified. I'm still remembering how no one talked about it due to the HE500 hogging all the spotlight.

I mean, how can anyone hate a much lighter, more comfortable, and airy presentation compared to the other Hifimans? If anything, it would've made a perfect companion to the HE500 as somewhat of a polar opposite.

After having the HE-500 and HE-6 here for a week, and after selling the HE-500 and returning the HE-6, both gone in favor of the HE-4.  Heck I sold my T1 three days after getting the HE-4....imo they are the best Hifiman phone that I have heard.  I hope the HE-560 and HE-400i follow what the HE-4 started with the single sided magnets.  Gotta love the air and soundstage/imaging of the HE-4!  They are like the open version of the Alpha Dogs!

Enigma on the way.....waiting for some in depth reviews of the HE-560/400i!

Mar 26, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #2,860 of 3,091
Well said. I really wish HFM didn't give up so quickly on the HE4. I guess sales weren't great due for the humongous anticipation for the HE500. Thats all everyone could talk about, which basically caused the HE4 to become a quick afterthought to most people.

I think HFM learned from that mistake which may be why they went with the 560 first, so that it would then give the 400i a chance to gain some interest after all the 560 hype died down a bit.

Instead of building their advertising on price range and embellishments, companies should focus on characteristics of sound. Most people would just look at the price disparity and assume that the 560 is the headphone for them, when they should be looking at what kind of flavor they prefer.

It was real smart of HFM to quickly let everyone know the HE400i would be tuned like the HE500. The very popular HE500 in a lighter form is what MANY people have been salivating for.

Its no secret that many people actually prefer the 500 over the HE6, and sound characteristics not ultimate refinement is what caused that. A headphone can be amazing, but if the tonal balance is not what you're used to, it doesn't mean crap. Like, I would take a $400 K702 Annie over a $1200 HD800, because I know I'd prefer the warmer, smoother sound on the Annie. I KNOW the HD800 is better, yet it wouldnt make it better FOR ME.

So like that, the HE400i may be preferable to a lot of people over the 560.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #2,861 of 3,091

After having the HE-500 and HE-6 here for a week, and after selling the HE-500 and returning the HE-6, both gone in favor of the HE-4.  Heck I sold my T1 three days after getting the HE-4....imo they are the best Hifiman phone that I have heard.  I hope the HE-560 and HE-400i follow what the HE-4 started with the single sided magnets.  Gotta love the air and soundstage/imaging of the HE-4!  They are like the open version of the Alpha Dogs!

Enigma on the way.....waiting for some in depth reviews of the HE-560/400i!

Okay, the comparison to the Alpha's got my attention.  I am really hoping the 560 will be the perfect compliment to the Alpha's.  But if not, I might need to give the HE-4's a shot.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #2,862 of 3,091
Well, the main difference in tonality is that the HE4 is a little v-shaped. Kinda how the DT880 is known as well balanced, but slightly vshaped. The Alpha definitely has a leg up on neutrality. But that comparison is quite valid. The HE4 and AD would be PERFECT companions. Two of my very fave headphones, for sure. I'm still in awe at how open the AD sounds, despite it being closed.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #2,863 of 3,091
Well if the HE-560 is the best blend of 500 and 6 then that should be really something, much like the 400i being a blend of 400 and 500.
If both headphones manage to be just that, we'll have a winning combination in both price ranges!

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #2,864 of 3,091
I remember reading someone comparing the HE-500 and the HE-4, and stating that every genre sounded the same on the HE-500.  I gave the HE-500 a fair shake, but couldn't embrace them after having the HE-4 for two weeks first.  I could have put up with the weight of the HE-500 and the HE-6, and I had the speaker tap means on three amps, but I don't think I could do without that air and soundstage that the HE-4 brings.  IMO, I came from Beyers to the HE-4, the HE-4 to me is like the DT880/T1 on steroids.  The HE-4 is what I thought the Beyers would be.  Liking the single sided magnets, if this is the sound they bring!

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #2,865 of 3,091
Don't forget technicalities, especially distortion level. HE-400's mid distortion for instance. I expect less bass bloom from the HE-560 compared to the HE-500, generally a technical upgrade on all fronts. Tonality wise the HE-500 remains my favorite planar. It just needs a better soundstage and slightly more air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back