Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Mar 26, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #2,866 of 3,091
Well, the main difference in tonality is that the HE4 is a little v-shaped. Kinda how the DT880 is known as well balanced, but slightly vshaped. The Alpha definitely has a leg up on neutrality. But that comparison is quite valid. The HE4 and AD would be PERFECT companions. Two of my very fave headphones, for sure. I'm still in awe at how open the AD sounds, despite it being closed.

The Alpha Dog bumps up a few notchs, HE-4 as well, with some cable upgrades.  I have DIYed cables the last year, and if you believe cables make a difference, read what Peter Bradstock says about the Alpha Dog cable on his Facebook page.  The stock Alpha Dog cable is really holding it back...cable upgrade makes if sound very close the the LCD3 (Peter's word's).  I would be glad to add the HE-560 to this duo, hoping the single sided magnets do that for me, because they sure look comfortable! 

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #2,867 of 3,091
Glad I'm not the only one who pegged the HE4 as a super DT880. I hadn't heard the T1, which was also what was said of it, but since the HE4 was much cheaper and planar... I lost interest in the T1.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #2,868 of 3,091
Glad I'm not the only one who pegged the HE4 as a super DT880. I hadn't heard the T1, which was also what was said of it, but since the HE4 was much cheaper and planar... I lost interest in the T1.

I sold the T1 and DT990 three days after getting the HE-4.  I was disappointed in the soundstage and air of the T1!  Looking forward to the HE-560 reviews though!  Soundstage and air....soundstage and air......what the HE-500 was lacking........

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #2,869 of 3,091
Did you ever get a chance to hear the 5LE? Considering the HE4 is basically a single sided variant of it, I've always been interested how it compares and what makes it better. I see a lot of people actually liking the 5LE more than tbe 500 and 6.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #2,870 of 3,091
I certainly hope the bass will be a bit different from the HE-6.
On my setup, I remember the bass being a bit too tight. I contribute it partly to the bass roll-off, which is displayed in the graphs.
With certain genres it was just fine but with certain modern music, it was not enough ( and I am certainly not a bass head.
.. I dislike that xP)

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #2,871 of 3,091
Im a mild basshead at times, but only sometimes. I guess for most things, I like the LCD2/HE400 level of bass. That is my absolute preference for bass. The D7000 has my fave bass of all headphones, but that's for when I get in my basshead moods.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #2,872 of 3,091
Did you ever get a chance to hear the 5LE? Considering the HE4 is basically a single sided variant of it, I've always been interested how it compares and what makes it better. I see a lot of people actually liking the 5LE more than tbe 500 and 6.

The HE-4 was my first Hifiman headphone, I have the RE272 as my only portable though.  I wouldn't mind having a Code-X.  I ordered the Enigma from Luis, because he said it is based on what he learned with the Code-x (I asked Luis if the Enigma used a Hifiman driver, he kept silent with his secret).  I doubt if the Enigma uses the T50RP driver like his Slants.  I'm not looking back at any other Hifiman headphone.  Just want the 560 or 400i to offer more of the HE-4!

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #2,873 of 3,091
I certainly hope the bass will be a bit different from the HE-6.
On my setup, I remember the bass being a bit too tight. I contribute it partly to the bass roll-off, which is displayed in the graphs.
With certain genres it was just fine but with certain modern music, it was not enough ( and I am certainly not a bass head.
.. I dislike that xP)

Unfortunately I had the HE-500 and HE-6 after having the supercharged HE-4.  The HE-4 can have some really good bass, at least plenty for me.  I like less heavy notes, and that is what I heard in the HE-500/HE-6.  Now give me a HE-560 with something between the HE-4 and HE-500/HE-6............

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #2,874 of 3,091
Why oh why did they put velour on the part of the pad that actually touches the skin?  
frown.gif

I get the argument that pleather heats up and causes some sweating over time, but an open-back with real leather pads doesn't heat the skin up at all.  Soft, supple leather feels 100x better on the skin than velour, and cleans better too.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #2,875 of 3,091
Oh hell naw. Velour on the skin for the win. Foreva.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but arent they also using standard pads a well? I could've sworn I saw some pics with standard pads.

Lcd2 uses real leather and they're open backed. The vegan pads were faaaaaar more comfortable on the skin, though it didnt help the lcd2s overall comfort regardless, since they just arent comfortable headphones.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #2,877 of 3,091
  Why oh why did they put velour on the part of the pad that actually touches the skin?  
frown.gif

I get the argument that pleather heats up and causes some sweating over time, but an open-back with real leather pads doesn't heat the skin up at all.  Soft, supple leather feels 100x better on the skin than velour, and cleans better too.

I agree with this. Leather as on the Audezes or Fostex (which is comfortable and doesn't create hot ears as pleather does) is very easy to clean from sebum, oils etc...and nothing will remain. Velour soaks up. It will dry but oils don't, they remain. 

Sure you can wash out velour but you won't do it very often (aka don't want to take them off once a week) or regularly and stress the material further, especially at Sennheiser earpad prices 
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #2,878 of 3,091
The previous hifiman velour pads are stiff, itchy.  Sennheiser HD600/650 velour pads can get itchy too.  The best implementation of velour I've seen is the Beyerdynamic DT990, but even that can go to crap and get itchy after you've used it for quite a while and you've washed it a couple times. 

The best feeling pads I've worn up until this point hands down is the LCD-XC.  I can not believe how supple and natural it is on the skin.  The leather doesn't get plagued by the itchy and unnatural feeling of velours either.  Closed back-- yet still doesn't sweat.  Made it a more comfortable headphone than LCD2.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #2,879 of 3,091
Well, the main difference in tonality is that the HE4 is a little v-shaped. Kinda how the DT880 is known as well balanced, but slightly vshaped. The Alpha definitely has a leg up on neutrality. But that comparison is quite valid. The HE4 and AD would be PERFECT companions. Two of my very fave headphones, for sure. I'm still in awe at how open the AD sounds, despite it being closed.

For me, the cool thing about V shape is the ability to get decent bass and treble at low volume, due to the sensitivity we humans have with the mids.

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #2,880 of 3,091
  The previous hifiman velour pads are stiff, itchy.  Sennheiser HD600/650 velour pads can get itchy too.  The best implementation of velour I've seen is the Beyerdynamic DT990, but even that can go to crap and get itchy after you've used it for quite a while and you've washed it a couple times. 

The best feeling pads I've worn up until this point hands down is the LCD-XC.  I can not believe how supple and natural it is on the skin.  The leather doesn't get plagued by the itchy and unnatural feeling of velours either.  Closed back-- yet still doesn't sweat.  Made it a more comfortable headphone than LCD2.

Well, I use the HE-400 with the beyer pads and I dont quite agree with this.
If you wash the pads by hand in hot water (I dnt mean 40C+ but hot for your hands), the only times i get the pads to be itchy is when i shave and dont use a balsam (water where I Live is a pain on the skin.).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back