Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Mar 26, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #2,896 of 3,091
  I really really really, really...really hope to catch the dang DHL deliveryman tomorrow lol. He/she 'tried' to deliver today but didn't even knock the door.

bear-trap.jpg

If he doesn't knock.. I'm still sure you'll hear him.

Mar 26, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #2,900 of 3,091
Oh my b, I've never seen the HE90 from that angle before.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #2,903 of 3,091
^ I sincerely don't think there's any reason for a preorder anymore... I mean they're manufacturing the first batch as we speak...

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #2,904 of 3,091

You mean my plans to get one? Kinda lost interest after doing more research... Haha. Plus I prefer the HE-500 to the LCD-2, so I'm thinking I'll stick with HifiMan for now. I also find Hifiman's consistency a notch up from Audez'e. With Audez'e you never know how your LCD is going to sound like until you get one. With the HE-500, over the many pairs I went through the sound was fairly consistent. Although, I do admit the newer pairs were slightly better in terms of build quality and also the sonics, but the sonics aspect was darn close enough.

The next headphone I'll buy won't be a flagship it's going to be the Spirit Classic. After which point I'm going to see how the 560 or 400i is, but more than anything I need a better DAP. X5 and or DX90 is probably the first thing I need. I'm actually very pleased with my current 3, the best trio I've had. If the 560 cannot be driven from a DAP I might just need to go 400i to get my planar fix.

Ya I hear you. Gotta be easy to drive. So you got a portable rig going for you. All I know about that stuff is Hifiman DAPs and Astell & Kern (or something like that) 
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #2,906 of 3,091
Maybe it's been mentioned already, but HiFi Man will be bringing two HE560s to the NYC spring headphone meet being held on Sat., April 5.  See the home page for info  The meet will be in Babylon, NY, on Long Island.

Of course, there will be other manufacturers attending also.  A list of vendors attending is on the second post of the thread and includes the following:
Red Wine Audio
MrSpeakers
HeadAmp
BeyerDynamic
Sennheiser
Woo Audio
Eddie Current
HiFiMan
Ultimate Ears (UE)
Tubes USA
Grado Labs (not attending but donated a PS500 for the not so silent auction)

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #2,907 of 3,091
As for the reason for hybrid pads is:

Pleather pads tend to have a warmer, fuller sound compared to velours.

Velour pads breathe easier, and keep sweating to an absolute minimum, but sound a little more dry.

Having the sonic traits of pleather/leather, with the comfort of velour on the skin is a combination a lot of us have wanted for ages. The Senn Orpheus is the first (I'm pretty sure) pads that utilized this. Beaver and then Jerg, as well as a few others implemented a hybrid pad for the HE400/HE500, and so here we are today. HFM took note, and decided on doing the same thing.

In any which case, the cups dimensions are as they've been, so I don't see how you can't go back to the other pads, though it will undoubtedly alter the sound.

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #2,910 of 3,091

Users who are viewing this thread

Back