**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 27, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #13,981 of 22,116
  How did you manage to resize the window? Using George's VST wrapper on foobar and the latest posihfopit edition I can't seem to figure it out. 

Edit: And just as I post this I figure it out :)

How did you do it?

I can only resize the window when using the "effect chainer" VST plugin to load ElectriQ.... I can also only save presets via the effect chainer.... I can only save one preset at a time with ElectriQ which is annoying as I want to make 2-3 different EQ so that I can have one for high / medium / low quality sources etc....

Another useful thing I found out is that if you use Sinegen to find the peaks you can then record them and also the amount of DB increase at each... So if you record the start, top and end of each peak and the DB amount you can then put a point onto the EQ to mark where each peak starts, peaks and finishes and then right click the markers and click "bypass" then you have markers to show you where to put the points in the EQ....

If you can tell me how to resize the window and save multiple presets without using effect chainer that would be good because I cannot get it to work without effect chainer plugin.

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #13,982 of 22,116
I'm looking to buy a pair of HE-400 second hand. Can anyone tell me more about the revisions that these headphones have had, sonic differences, which to stay away from, etc? Really appreciate it!

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #13,983 of 22,116
'Revision 3' with sandy-brown/yellowish plastic covering the drivers is the one you need to stay away from.  Black is original 'revision 1' and sounds, good, but had a proclivity to fail.  White and translucent white are good.

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #13,984 of 22,116
nicholars, I'll post a step by step.

1. Install electri-q from here if you have an older version. You'll need the latest version to get it working.

2. Once installed, copy both dll files from the installation directory to your VST folder that foobar reads. Those files are Electri-Q (posihfopit edition).dll, and Electri-Q.dll.

3. Launch the Electri-Q standalone application from your program files. Here you can resize the window by dragging the edges. It's a little buggy btw but it works. Close out of it when done.

4. Now launch foobar, right click the VST icon in the tray, and select Electri-Q posihfopit edition. It should launch the same size as the standalone application.

And that's it for the window resizing. But I've just realized now that the non-posihfopit edition which is now active is unregistered. Dunno what limitations that means but so far everything works fine.

As for saving multiple presets that's simple. Once you have a preset you're happy with, go into the menu, presets, then export preset. It will create a file. You can create multiple files this way, and import whichever you want. Curretly I have one preset for my HE-400, one for my Senn HD280, and one for some cheap ear buds. It's a sinch switching between them. Just go into menu, presets, import preset and locate the one you want. 

Don't use the presets drop down box at the top of the window, that's really buggy and doesn't save or load properly.

No need for that effect chainer thing you use. Hope this helps!

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #13,985 of 22,116

1. Install electri-q from here if you have an older version. You'll need the latest version to get it working.

2. Once installed, copy both dll files from the installation directory to your VST folder that foobar reads. Those files are Electri-Q (posihfopit edition).dll, and Electri-Q.dll.

3. Launch the Electri-Q standalone application from your program files. Here you can resize the window by dragging the edges. It's a little buggy btw but it works. Close out of it when done.

4. Now launch foobar, right click the VST icon in the tray, and select Electri-Q as the plugin, not the posihfopit edition. It should launch the same size as the standalone application.

And that's it for the window resizing. But I've just realized now that the non-posihfopit edition which is now active is unregistered. Dunno what limitations that means but so far everything works fine.

As for saving multiple presets that's simple. Once you have a preset you're happy with, go into the menu, presets, then export preset. It will create a file. You can create multiple files this way, and import whichever you want. Curretly I have one preset for my HE-400, one for my Senn HD280, and one for some cheap ear buds. It's a sinch switching between them. Just go into menu, presets, import preset and locate the one you want. 

Don't use the presets drop down box at the top of the window, that's really buggy and doesn't save or load properly.

ME GUSTA 

I'm keeping the HE 400 btw... I remember there's this amp... the Meir Corda Step Dance or something? Either way $350 new and every one RAVES about how EPIC it sounds [despite the bad battery life] I figured... before I drop $650 on an RSA sr71B... the Step dance should be aquired for the w1000x, seeing as the w1000x is the can that needs a new amp

so YAY he 400 goodness for all! [or just me in this case] 

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #13,986 of 22,116

4. Now launch foobar, right click the VST icon in the tray, and select Electri-Q as the plugin, not the posihfopit edition. It should launch the same size as the standalone application.

Thanks for that, just testing now....

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #13,988 of 22,116
Not exactly the most "user friendly" setup is it! Has taken me about 2 hours in total just to get this working properly, in a resized window and saving multiple presets! Also about 2 hours to learn how to use the parametric EQ properly... So thats about 4 hours of messing about before even making any EQ! Ah well at least I know how to use it now and I can use it on any headphones I get, the results are much better than the graphic EQ I am surprised because I thought it would end up sounding basically the same.

Have you tried the "advanced EQ guide" using this thread?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress/15

Is it worth doing this as well instead of using pink noise and Sinegen?

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #13,989 of 22,116

Is it worth doing this as well instead of using pink noise and Sinegen?

Oh yea I can't answer this question

HOW EVER I FEEL that burning in with "noise" is assine

HOW EVER. I know a lot of ppl that EQ using frequancy sweeps. It sweeps from like 10-20k and they use it as a refrance to balance the headphone. Meaning no change in volume or preceived volume from 10-20k! I am how ever to lazy to EQ that much :D that and I'm not a big eq guy. If I want to change sound, I'll recable. get a new amp Mod or add some pads! HARD WARE MODS FTW [I'm not a huge software guy] 

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #13,991 of 22,116
  I haven't used that guide so can't sat much about it. I've already settled on a curve I like with the he-400. It works best for me so I'm not going to change it much. I'm a set and forget sort of guy :) 

Glad you got electri-q working right btw. 

me too forget and set. 

http://hifilittleriver.blogspot.com/

Quick mini review for my HE 400. Trying a more casual approach to reviews! 

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #13,993 of 22,116
  I haven't used that guide so can't sat much about it. I've already settled on a curve I like with the he-400. It works best for me so I'm not going to change it much. I'm a set and forget sort of guy :) 

Glad you got electri-q working right btw. 

Yes I think I need to do that as well because I have a problem with OCD EQ tweaking haha. Once I have 3 EQ's setup I think I will ban myself from fiddling with it any more!

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #13,994 of 22,116
  Oh yea I can't answer this question

HOW EVER I FEEL that burning in with "noise" is assine

HOW EVER. I know a lot of ppl that EQ using frequancy sweeps. It sweeps from like 10-20k and they use it as a refrance to balance the headphone. Meaning no change in volume or preceived volume from 10-20k! I am how ever to lazy to EQ that much :D that and I'm not a big eq guy. If I want to change sound, I'll recable. get a new amp Mod or add some pads! HARD WARE MODS FTW [I'm not a huge software guy] 

Damn I should have re-cabled instead of using EQ... Silly me
rolleyes.gif

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #13,995 of 22,116
  I currently own an old pair of ATH-A900 and I'm seriously considering replacing them with HE-400. Do you think that would be a worthwile upgrade? Would I get less bass considering A900s are closed cans?

:O NO, I had the A900x and the HE 400 destroys it! Just as much bass, but more clarity! 

Damn I should have re-cabled instead of using EQ... Silly me
rolleyes.gif

Pff, hell no. I don't recommend any one take my crazy approach to sound <3. I'm just the guy who feels cables make a differance. I won't waste my time trying to convert you. We all know EQ is the cheapest way to improve EVERY headphone ;3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back