**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 23, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #13,921 of 22,116
Deal! You take checks?

I would prefer paypal.... So I will lend you that $450 then that we talked about and you lend me the $1000.... What we can do to make it simpler is you can just give me the $550 dollars on paypal then technically I have lent you $450 and you have lent me $1000... Don't forget I am doing you a favor here as I am lending you $450 first technically.. Sound ok? Hmm maybe I should work in a bank
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #13,922 of 22,116
I would prefer paypal.... So I will lend you that $450 then that we talked about and you lend me the $1000.... What we can do to make it simpler is you can just give me the $550 dollars on paypal then technically I have lent you $450 and you have lent me $1000... Don't forget I am doing you a favor here as I am lending you $450 first technically.. Sound ok? Hmm maybe I should work in a bank :D
:popcorn:

Oct 23, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #13,923 of 22,116
Should be getting my hands on a pair of these tomorrow, finally see what all the fuss is about with these planar magnetic 'phones. If I like what I hear then I may set my sight on some of the higher end models when funds allow.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #13,924 of 22,116
Should be getting my hands on a pair of these tomorrow, finally see what all the fuss is about with these planar magnetic 'phones. If I like what I hear then I may set my sight on some of the higher end models when funds allow.

Make sure when you get them, to give them some time, the planar sound is quite different. Especially on the he400, its not a forward sounding hp. They're laid back and to me honestly changed the way I listen to music. They were a great choice for me coming from just Sr80is and shure 840s. But, like many others and more than likely yourself, I was diagnosed with the ever elusive silent killer upgraditis. Be careful, it will kill your bank account slowly but surely.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #13,925 of 22,116
Make sure when you get them, to give them some time, the planar sound is quite different. Especially on the he400, its not a forward sounding hp. They're laid back and to me honestly changed the way I listen to music. They were a great choice for me coming from just Sr80is and shure 840s. But, like many others and more than likely yourself, I was diagnosed with the ever elusive silent killer upgraditis. Be careful, it will kill your bank account slowly but surely.

Laid back?

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #13,926 of 22,116
Maybe that wasn't the best choice of words. They just have that sound to then that makes you want to crank the volume to hear everything impact more. Maybe its just the upper mid recession that made me feel that way in the beginning. I felt like I just wasn't amping them well enough. Until I realized I needed to just enjoy them at lower volumes. It could also be that I was used to more forward sound due to the grado

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #13,927 of 22,116
I guess I can't really explain what I mean by laid back in this case.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #13,929 of 22,116
Thanks! I've been bustin my rear all day woodworking in the garage with laquer thinner fumes goin in the ol nostrils. So I'm a little off...

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #13,931 of 22,116
I guess I can't really explain what I mean by laid back in this case.

I know exactly what you mean. It's like they never seem to be breaking a sweat, no matter what volume. Because of this, it's really hard to judge how loud you're listening. That total composure and lack of strain presents itself as laid back.

The headphones are saying, "What? The thundering double bass drums on Deicide's Conviction? That organ at Notre Dame in full flight? They ain't s#&* to me. Wake me up when you've finished.."

You mean that kind of laid back?

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #13,932 of 22,116
BTW, even if death metal is not your thing, still give that Deicide track a listen if you dare, it's the most dramatically and dynamically produced metal I've yet heard and sounds intimidatingly good out of the HE400s..

Oct 24, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #13,933 of 22,116

EQ and mods does help a lot compared to the stock setup... But yes it is impossible to get the treble / upper mids sounding perfect as well as detailed at the same time. The HE400 still sound damn nice with the right bitrate / recordings but unfortunately I have a perfectionist streak which probably in a few years I will end up with no money or food but some nice flagship headphones / amp.
biggrin.gif

Dark sound with hot trebles!

Sounds about right

they are a nice headphone, if you are a fan of Bright cans these should be right up your alley, they where for me. Although I don't listen to them a whole lot latly :O not really into EDM atm... and the HE 400 is my EDM headphone <.< I'm tempted to try a Balanced Mad Dog... but I doubt it would have the speed of the HE 400 in the sub 

Oct 24, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #13,934 of 22,116
Still waiting for my pair to come through the post. Is there any way to find out which revision I have without taking the pads off? I've heard some horror stories of pads breaking when fitting them so I'm reluctant to take them off. 
blink.gif

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #13,935 of 22,116
BTW, even if death metal is not your thing, still give that Deicide track a listen if you dare, it's the most dramatically and dynamically produced metal I've yet heard and sounds intimidatingly good out of the HE400s..

Metal is my biggest chunk of music, and I shall check that track out asap!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back