**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 23, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #13,906 of 22,116
  Hmmmm....

HE400 + a tube dac or tube amp....

Interesting.... Does it smooth out the treble?

I use the HE-400 with an OTL tube amp (Little Dot Mk3), and it definitely smooths out the treble compared to my SS amps, adding a sense of air and delicacy. This isn't the fairest comparison though, since my SS amps are just a Cmoy and 90's Sony receiver. They aren't really overall peers to the Little Dot IMO. 

Also, even though I'm pretty happy with this combo, I'm aware that I'm not getting much power from my amp at the low impedance of the HE-400. I bought a 300 ohm resistor adapter to see if it makes any difference. Should be getting ~3x as much power with the resistor. 

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #13,907 of 22,116
  Hmmmm....

HE400 + a tube dac or tube amp....

Interesting.... Does it smooth out the treble?

I wouldn't recommend it, honestly (at least not the D1 tube out). It just smears up the lower mids and bass too much for my liking. On a lot of tracks, it's not as noticeable though. The best example I could find where the difference is obvious is the song Vicarious by Tool. The intro is a sweet guitar riff on top of a smooth bass riff. When playing through the tube output, turning up the amp seems to turn up the bass guitar a lot while leaving the guitar alone (essentially drowning the guitar in what sounds like reverberating bass guitar). For a while I had the D1 hooked up to the A1 through its tube out and I was quick to blame the tube sound from the A1 contributing to this phenomenon
redface.gif
. modulor convinced me to try some A/B using the other output (which I had plugged into the Magni -- basically allowing me to have two amps running from the DAC simultaneously) and I found that I was definitely wrong. The warmth from the A1 is minimal in comparison to the warmth from the D1 tube output, and I can safely say that I don't really enjoy the tube output anymore. Luckily I picked up Project Ember, so I no longer need two amps for my cans (Magni for planars and A1 for dynamics).

Man, I got some stuff I really need to sell...

EDIT: No, I haven't found that any amount of tubes will help tame the treble. Dem treble spikes are wild beasts...

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #13,908 of 22,116
Oct 23, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #13,909 of 22,116
  I wouldn't recommend it, honestly (at least not the D1 tube out). It just smears up the lower mids and bass too much for my liking. On a lot of tracks, it's not as noticeable though.

EDIT: No, I haven't found that any amount of tubes will help tame the treble. Dem treble spikes are wild beasts...

I am sort of pleased that it does not help because that saves me spending more money on an amp!

I Have tried just about every possible EQ setting down to 0.x db and I am pretty happy with the result but they still have too much sibilance and can sound harsh, EQ'ing the treble down any more makes them sound muffled and loses a lot of detail... It is very dependent on the quality of the source / recording though... Can go from quite smooth sounding to unlistenable depending on the bitrate / recording... Ah well overall they are still probably the best headphones for the money, just would like them a bit smoother in the treble...

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #13,910 of 22,116
I am sort of pleased that it does not help because that saves me spending more money on an amp!

I Have tried just about every possible EQ setting down to 0.x db and I am pretty happy with the result but they still have too much sibilance and can sound harsh, EQ'ing the treble down any more makes them sound muffled and loses a lot of detail... It is very dependent on the quality of the source / recording though... Can go from quite smooth sounding to unlistenable depending on the bitrate / recording... Ah well overall they are still probably the best headphones for the money, just would like them a bit smoother in the treble...

Only way to get rid of those peaky treble is getting a (secondhand) he500. :D

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #13,911 of 22,116
Only way to get rid of those peaky treble is getting a (secondhand) he500.
biggrin.gif

EQ and mods does help a lot compared to the stock setup... But yes it is impossible to get the treble / upper mids sounding perfect as well as detailed at the same time. The HE400 still sound damn nice with the right bitrate / recordings but unfortunately I have a perfectionist streak which probably in a few years I will end up with no money or food but some nice flagship headphones / amp.
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #13,912 of 22,116
I have this feeling, that im going to buy the he500, then im going to want a sr 007 next.

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #13,915 of 22,116
i also just noticed the aune t1 on a certain deal site, for 119. Good thing i asked here first otherwise i wouldve just bought the thing

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #13,916 of 22,116

Get a HE500 with an Emotiva mini-x amplifier and then delete your head-fi account 
wink.gif

can i borrow $450? i promise ill pay you back!

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #13,917 of 22,116
I can imagine being fully satisfied with the HE-500s if they really do compare favourably against these HE-400s, with more neutrality, better balanced and smoother treble and more present midrange, qualities they have by all accounts that I've read.  That's all I really need and the HE400s are so perfect for me in every other way besides these things.

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #13,918 of 22,116
Hmmm...sounds like a familiar story.

I went same road..started with.bose (yes bose!) and ended up with he300/400 and now 500.. Next.....big secret for now.. Hehehehe
Ampwise same thing happened..mstage-337-Custommade BC amp.
Trust me..my wallet hates me..wish i never found headfi!! :D
I deeply hate some of u making me so addicted..u guys know who i mean..hehehehe

Oct 23, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #13,920 of 22,116

Users who are viewing this thread

Back