**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 11, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #13,486 of 22,116
  I've since updated my HE-400 EQ settings to be more to my liking.  I brought up the idea of linking the major impressions, comparisons and reviews involving the HE-400 from within this thread to be as part of the initial post but no success yet.

Why don't you use a better 31 band equaliser? I do not think that one is probably giving you optimal results....

Maybe try the foobar2k 31 band EQ or electriQ or something...

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #13,490 of 22,116
There are ways to implement 'better' EQs across the entirety of OSX, but it's too troublesome for me, especially when my EQ usage spread is 95% 'What Sibilance?!' and 5% other, and that EQ is simple yet effective enough that it isn't hindered by iTunes at all.  I'm not going to be trying to use a 31 band Equalizer just to implement a treble rolloff.

Oct 11, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #13,491 of 22,116
I'm thinking of returning my DT990 Pro and replacing it with a HE-400 but I need to know a few things first:

Brightness: More or less than 990?
Bass: More or less than 990?
Does it pair well with the Schiit M&M stack?
Comfort: How is it out of the box? I'm guessing not as good as 990 but how much worse?  How about with the velour replacement pads?

What are the advantages of orthodynamic/planar magnetic drivers?

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #13,492 of 22,116
DT990 is brighter overall
DT990 has more mid-bass whereas HE-400 has more sub-bass.  The two have comparable overall bass quantity
HE-400 likes the Magni/Modi.  Will probably like the Vali even better when it comes out.
Comfort might be different for you and me.  DT990 is way lighter and clamps less, but the earpads are also less deep so I didn't like having my ears touch the driver over time.  You'll want to use either the Velours or the Modded Pleathers for the HE-400.  I'm guessing many people would consider the DT990 to be generally the more comfortable headphone, but HE-400 is pretty comfortable in itself to me.

Planar Magnetics utilize a very large diaphragm and strong magnets, so they can move a lot of air and with great force.  The biggest advantage is pure, clean bass extension and speed.  Instrument separation will be great and the bass will be extended and with really low THD.

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #13,493 of 22,116

I've posted my EQ config in this thread in the past but not much people respond with impressions. If anyone's interested in giving it a try, go ahead. I'd like some feedback; I've been using it for quite a while and am very happy with the sound. I made the biggest dip at 9Khz where sibilants is at it's strongest.

For my setup is too high and strong .. I can not find better for me than this Eq:

But I'm still not very happy.

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #13,494 of 22,116
  I'm thinking of returning my DT990 Pro and replacing it with a HE-400 but I need to know a few things first:

Brightness: More or less than 990?
Bass: More or less than 990?
Does it pair well with the Schiit M&M stack?
Comfort: How is it out of the box? I'm guessing not as good as 990 but how much worse?  How about with the velour replacement pads?

What are the advantages of orthodynamic/planar magnetic drivers?

DT990 is brighter overall
DT990 has more mid-bass whereas HE-400 has more sub-bass.  The two have comparable overall bass quantity
HE-400 likes the Magni/Modi.  Will probably like the Vali even better when it comes out.
Comfort might be different for you and me.  DT990 is way lighter and clamps less, but the earpads are also less deep so I didn't like having my ears touch the driver over time.  You'll want to use either the Velours or the Modded Pleathers for the HE-400.  I'm guessing many people would consider the DT990 to be generally the more comfortable headphone, but HE-400 is pretty comfortable in itself to me.

Planar Magnetics utilize a very large diaphragm and strong magnets, so they can move a lot of air and with great force.  The biggest advantage is pure, clean bass extension and speed.  Instrument separation will be great and the bass will be extended and with really low THD.

See and for a moment I can disagree here.

It depends on how much you liked the DT 990 sound, I liked the mids an treble of the DT 990, so to keep that cooler Beyer Sound on my HE 400 I used the J$Money Pads, which gives the HE 400 JUST as good comfort as the Dt 990 with  a sound simmilar to the DT 990, with better low mids and better sub bass. But I felt the HE 400 was a good linear upgrade to the DT 990, although again I'm using the comfy J$money pads and my HE 400 is balanced, the balanced amp dac and cable with the HE 400 gave it a sound stage simmilar to my DT 990 Pro SE out of a oDac 

But the HE 400 is still not as wide, although the instrument seperation is better and the imaging 3D placement of sound is better

so I feel it is a nice upgrade! And you may like the Velours or you might REALLY love the Modded Pleathers, start with stock pads and then do a little reasearch as to what you want to upgrade, and just remember that every one hears differently. The J$money pads are a dicey topic here, some like them alot [my self and one other user[ and some dont, just know that IF you like which EVER pads you decide upon, your opinion of them is all that matters. But always keep an open mind! 

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #13,496 of 22,116
  For my setup is too high and strong .. I can not find better for me than this Eq:

But I'm still not very happy.

That EQ is actually quite similar to mine in that it has dips at the same locations, but mine are a little bigger. I've left the midrange untouched as I love the mids the way they are.

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #13,497 of 22,116
  Not that I know of. beaver had recommended an EQ software that accommodates all programs (can't remember the name...) but I haven't tried it yet.

Yeah the software is called Equalizer APO, which uses Room EQ Wizard as a graphical front. Awesome program if you get the hang of it. Windows only I think.

You should consider changing the Q (?) value of the round thingies (double click). I'd say the +16kHz should be more emphasized. You should do that by changing the Q value of the last dot to make a sharper peak, and move it a bit fruther to the left as well.

I'll try lower the 16Khz dip a little more later on when I get the chance, but im not seeing any Q value when double clicking on the dots. All that's listed is 'Freq', 'Gain', and 'BW'. Dunno what's up with that...

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #13,498 of 22,116
^Then it might be BW. I can check. Yup, it is.

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #13,499 of 22,116

That EQ is actually quite similar to mine in that it has dips at the same locations, but mine are a little bigger. I've left the midrange untouched as I love the mids the way they are.

I swear I think we all have the same EQ 

Here is mine again, I've changed it a little again 

boosted 50 hrz up +6 [I Need to get Easy Q working so I can get a deeper boost but what ever] upper mids boosted +6 as well, you guys know I hate anything around 150hrz as THAT frequancy is VERY WARM and THICK... I've found 5 songs to date that use that frequancy well, or rather 5 edm songs that use that well, again I do NOT like that frequancy... it's like Mud Bass imo, I ALWAYS eq it out of EVERY can I get, which gives me in INSTANTLY drier tighter bass. I only like that freq in what I consider "balanced" music, so ALL edm get's that freq CHOPPED out, everything that is not edm keeps to enjoy that thick warm Mid Bass SUPER low Mid wierdness 

so for the RECORD I do like sub bass 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back