**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 9, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #13,457 of 22,116
You may want to have a look at the Ultrasone pro 900 for EDM, though they're not really versatile.

Do they sound anything like the Ultrasone Pro 750's? I've auditioned those and I didn't like them TBH. They sounded very 'low fi' compared to HE-400. I know it's not fair to compare them since one is closed back and the other is an open back, but the 750's had too much one-noted muddy bass and sounded congested  compared to HE-400 IMO.

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #13,458 of 22,116

Do they sound anything like the Ultrasone Pro 750's? I've auditioned those and I didn't like them TBH. They sounded very 'low fi' compared to HE-400. I know it's not fair to compare them since one is closed back and the other is an open back, but the 750's had too much one-noted muddy bass and sounded congested  compared to HE-400 IMO.

Precisely. It makes way more sense just to EQ up HE400's bass for EDM, than to buy something that is inferior in literally every aspect.

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #13,459 of 22,116

They sound similar but with stronger bass. I wasn't too fond of them but they sure do stuff like EDM unlike other phones. It's just that they are really limited with other types of music.

I personally have a pair of ATH-ES10's for my portable rig that also do EDM very well while being more versatile. They aren't too popular due to availability but they have really surprised me with their big sound for their size, tight impactful bass with great extension, sweet mids and open highs. They certainly have the wow factor. I've had them for just over a week and I'm totally hooked.

Oct 10, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #13,464 of 22,116
What Thujone said - also, think of a large bell ringing (if you've ever heard one up close)...you can hear the sound resonating in the chamber for a period after you strike it.  In the case for certain headphones, the chamber between your ear an the driver can cause resonance at certain frequencies mostly depending on pad or cup material.

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #13,465 of 22,116
  What Thujone said - also, think of a large bell ringing (if you've ever heard one up close)...you can hear the sound resonating in the chamber for a period after you strike it.  In the case for certain headphones, the chamber between your ear an the driver can cause resonance at certain frequencies mostly depending on pad or cup material.

Good way to put it

also any one have any suggestions on a Closed Headphone that sounds simmilar to the HE 400 [sound stage and Flat bass response]

I'm thinking D2 or D5k, might look into what ever mods are nessicary for both

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #13,467 of 22,116
Thanks so much gentlemen (or women). 

How would these babies compare to the T1? It's kinda the only dynamic I'm considering 4 future, I'm pretty hooked on this planar sound bc of the BASS mmmmhmm

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #13,469 of 22,116
  I found a lot of similarities between the HE-400 and Mad Dogs 3.2 besides the treble.

Ahh but with what pads? I found the HE 400 with the Stock Pleathers to sound like the Mad Dog 3.2 did... to thick for my tastes... and the Mad Dog which had great bass, was WAY to thick in the mids for my tastes... after a week I sold it

The AD might be worth looking into but... at that price... maybe not 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back