**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Sep 17, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #12,916 of 22,116
... yea pretty much I was not BORN blind but my folks let me fall into a Bucket of bleach when I was like 2-3? I kinda do not remember if but I've been blind as crud ever since [OBVIOUSLY I mean BLEACH in my little 2 year old eyes... yea that was BAD]. Doc says my visions is that of a 40 year old man, and for the LONGEST time I didn't have glasses [which is scary] But my vision has always sucked, as has my sense of smell and taste... being allergic to Mold sucks when you live in a moldy house, not to mention allergies to Pets when you have 4 dogs soo... yea since I was a kid I [and I still can't] smell, see or taste worth a damn 

All I got is HEARING and FEELING left baby! 

Wow, well, at least you seem like youve stayed positive bud, rock on with your headphone journey.

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #12,917 of 22,116
Wow, well, at least you seem like youve stayed positive bud, rock on with your headphone journey.

I'm trying to, visit my blog if you can :D I'd love to get more readers. Trying to flesh out a more professional tone to my reviews [mostly in the formatting] as well as getting a good process going. I got a little rushed with my AD900X review today, didn't have much time to burn them in before I reviewed them [although they sounded great ouf of the box, still they need some burn in time] 

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #12,918 of 22,116
Hello I bought a cable from toxic cables ,Cryo OCC Stranded Silver / Copper Cable Unsleeved for my HE 400.
Somebody of you using it?
You think it might be good for the HE400? Or I have to change the type of cable? I had read in a review that the best results was the cable silver plated and not pure silver.

thanks

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #12,919 of 22,116
If anyone hears of a possible trade, he4 for he400 let me know please! So interested now, ill need to buy new pads for mine prior due to ne straight butchering both mine making me ugly velour top jergpads, they soubd great though! Will the jergpads work on the he4? I remember someone saying the pads or rings are different

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #12,920 of 22,116
If anyone hears of a possible trade, he4 for he400 let me know please! So interested now, ill need to buy new pads for mine prior due to ne straight butchering both mine making me ugly velour top jergpads, they soubd great though! Will the jergpads work on the he4? I remember someone saying the pads or rings are different

Depends on how old they are as to which pad types they'll have - all the older renditions had the original pads without removable mounting rings and had some sort of plastic tabs:

http://cdn.head-fi.org/5/51/51e629ac_DSC07939.jpeg

I'd suggest making a 'wanted' or for trade as in the classified.  You may want to message MattTCG as he's heard the jergpads on his former HE-4.  His impressions were positive I believe.  Since they are on sale over at headamp.com for $349, you may be able to sell your HE-400 and fund most of the cost of getting a new HE-4, but you may have to get some replacement pads first.

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #12,921 of 22,116
I'd rather just trade straight up, but, I'm completing my magnum build as soon as the drivers get here from Singapore, and for all I know I won't like them. So I could easily sell those to fund a he4 purchase. Then, I could side by side them with the 400, which may be a better decision for me in the first place...man, this obsession will definitely never end...and I like that.

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #12,922 of 22,116
I'd rather just trade straight up, but, I'm completing my magnum build as soon as the drivers get here from Singapore, and for all I know I won't like them. So I could easily sell those to fund a he4 purchase. Then, I could side by side them with the 400, which may be a better decision for me in the first place...man, this obsession will definitely never end...and I like that.

That does sound like the better option, then you can know for sure how they compare side by side and determine which is best.  I've not heard a Magnum yet but I'm thinking about trying the StratoKOSSter mod out for fun...maybe after my misadventures in T50RP modding. 
tongue.gif

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #12,924 of 22,116
T
That does sound like the better option, then you can know for sure how they compare side by side and determine which is best.  I've not heard a Magnum yet but I'm thinking about trying the StratoKOSSter mod out for fun...maybe after my misadventures in T50RP modding. :p  
[/quote

don't know where you're located, but, when I'm done with the build, maybe I'd be willing to loan the magnums to ya, with a baby and 50 hour plus work weeks, I don't get to much headtime anyways...

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #12,926 of 22,116
  Received notification from Justin regarding shipping out the HE $. Cannot wait do to the A/B comparison. Ryan, you are looking at a repeat customer for the Jergpads. Get the factory cranking my friend 
biggrin.gif

I'm very excited to hear your thoughts on HE-400 vs HE-4. Things like how the bass compare, does the HE-4 reach the HE-400s level (texture, thump, extension)? The midrange openness, treble smoothness, soundstage, etc.. And if the HE-4 is able to dethrone the HE-400 at being the king of EDM. 

Imo it looks better in terms of color finish, it's 100g lighter, and if it exceeds the HE-400 at most of the above mentioned points, then I see no reason why I should stick with the HE-400... ok maybe amping requirements :/

Anybody have any idea how long Justin will have them for sale? 

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #12,927 of 22,116
Funny enought, after reading all the discussion about the HE4/HE5LE/HE-400/HE-500, i realized why i actually bought the HE-400 in the first place:
I wasent sure if i would be able to afford 2-3 cans of the price like HE-500 so i decided to go for an all rounder (especially since the fiio E17 / E12 can actually power it right, so i could use it on the move or with my laptop with E17 as DAC if needed).

I actually had the cash back then for a HE-500, but when i heard you need a bit over 1 watt of pwoer to run it well, i decided that id be better with something i can power properly.

Eventually i got the Schiit Asgard and the HE-400 gained a lot of extra respect and love from me, but i can still get the HE-400 for a ride if i want to (wich i do almost everyday).

Now i have been thinking of getting something "better" but so far Ive decided to start saving money first, then look at what i want to buy with it.
THe main problem is that there are so many great options nowdays that its hard to even consider any of them:

Shure SE816, Senn HD800, LCD-3 (or LCD closed back when they come out), HE-500, and dont get me started on STAX....

And ofc, by the time i save up 1.5k dollars, im sure 3 more flagship will come out.

And then im still missing a DAC (want the bifrost uber)....

So i assume the "sorry" about your wallet is a quite accurate slogan for Head-fi.

P.S. in poland you can still get the HE4 or HE5LE but th price is a lot higher than in the US (The HE400 is around 614 dollars at the current exchange rate).

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #12,929 of 22,116
Wow, someone better snag that up quickly... I have a feeling it's gonna be a rare commodity soon enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back