**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 16, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #12,226 of 22,116
Quote:
This may be the first time I have ever seen anyone talking about the "neutrality" of D2000.  It was (and still is to a point) popular due to its fun coloration.  I doubt anyone who did their research bought them because they were closer to neutral than another headphone they were considering.

Edit: Actually I think I misunderstood some of what I read up above.  No one said it was neutral, just something about how on the FR graph it looks "more neutral".  I will certainly say that the FR graph of D2000 vs. HE-400 looks way different than what you actually hear.  The D2000 mids sound a lot more recessed than HE-400 and the D2000 bass feels like there is a ton more than what you see on the graph.  Anyway, graphs are dangerous.  I ended up getting LCD-2 after looking at that very graph that was posted above, just with LCD-2 added.  And D2000 still feels like it has more bass than LCD-2, despite what any graph tells you!

Just to note, where the FR graph sits on the y-axis is totally arbitrary. For example, if you plot the Audeze LCD2/2 vs. HE-400, the LCD's are about 6 dB above the HE-400 in the linear bass-mid range. This is NOT because the LCD's have more bass. This is because the volume that they were measured at is about 6 dB louder than the volume the HE-400's were measured at.

Aug 16, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #12,228 of 22,116
Quote:
Just to note, where the FR graph sits on the y-axis is totally arbitrary. For example, if you plot the Audeze LCD2/2 vs. HE-400, the LCD's are about 6 dB above the HE-400 in the linear bass-mid range. This is NOT because the LCD's have more bass. This is because the volume that they were measured at is about 6 dB louder than the volume the HE-400's were measured at.

I am well aware of this.  But the extension on the LCD-2 bass was unlike any graph I had seen before, so I just had to check them out.

Aug 16, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #12,230 of 22,116
Not at all.  It is exactly what I was looking for in an open headphone.  The overall sound is very smooth and non-fatiguing with great imaging.  The bass is of course much more detailed than D2000, it just doesn't rumble like the old Denons do.  On some genres I felt it to be a little bass-light compared to what I am used to, but it responds tremendously well to EQ.  I usually just drop the mids down about 1 or 2 dB and feel it is exactly how I like to listen.  If you were to try your HE-400 EDM EQ setting on LCD-2, I have a feeling that you would have nothing but a wall of bass.

Aug 16, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #12,231 of 22,116
Quote:
Not at all.  It is exactly what I was looking for in an open headphone.  The overall sound is very smooth and non-fatiguing with great imaging.  The bass is of course much more detailed than D2000, it just doesn't rumble like the old Denons do.  On some genres I felt it to be a little bass-light compared to what I am used to, but it responds tremendously well to EQ.  I usually just drop the mids down about 1 or 2 dB and feel it is exactly how I like to listen.  If you were to try your HE-400 EDM EQ setting on LCD-2, I have a feeling that you would have nothing but a wall of bass.

Gotta try those LCD-2s out sometime 
tongue.gif
 Do you still have your HE-400?

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #12,236 of 22,116
hello all, figured I'd come on over. Offically an owner of these lovely HP (listening to some Enya atm...mmm dreamy). I was demoing these and the HD600s at the same time, and ultimately fell for the HE-400s. Brings such musicality to everything I listen to. Currently driving these with an E17 via toslink. Hoping to upgrade the schiit components by years end. Hope to learn from experienced owners as well!

cheers

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #12,238 of 22,116
Out of the box with no EQ I would say that there are better headphones such as the Denons and Sennheisers etc.... Out of the box but with EQ they are definately better but still the midrange has glare to it, the bass lacks some impact and the treble is tizzy and sibilant....

Remove the foam spacers makes them sound better all round...

Jerg mod part one and the tizz / sibilance is still there but a lot better, also the upper mids and bass sound a lot better, imaging etc. sounds better as well.

Jerg mod part 4 and the bass is pretty much perfect....

I would give the stock headphones with no mods and no EQ about a 6.5/10, with EQ about 7.5/10 and with EQ and all mods 9/10.

My advice to anyone who has the HE-400.... Remove foam spacers, do jerg mods part 1 and 4 at least, EQ them = Win.

By foam spacers, do you mean the foam rings or the foam circles that cover the drivers from view?

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #12,239 of 22,116
Well I have had my HE-400's well over a week with the Lyr and have put MANY hours on them.  I have to say these have really grown on me.  I have gotten full used tot he sound now and really enjoy it.  I have been comparing these to my Denon D5000 and have to say they may be slightly better to me.  The D5000 have a lot of bass but its not as clear and seems boomy to me compared to the HE-400.  Tough comparison as one is open and the other is closed but I am surprised how nice the HE-400 sounds.  The treble is still kinda "piercing" to me but can easily eq'd (except when listening to MOG streaming, cant find a way to eq that).  The Lyr seemed to smooth the treble out for me though a bit.  I also have the D5000's on a Schiit Asgard and they sound very nice.

All in all I love these head phones and am now very happy with the purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back